I have the wrong sleeping pad. How much of a difference will I see?

So a few years ago I purchased a Thermarest Base Camp AF for general camping that was doing. I never did any cold camping until last year sleeping in RMNP during mid September. It did ok, but I was still a little chilly.

Fast forward to this year planning for a high elevation hunt in October and I looked up the R value. The AF on has a R value of 1.7 while the regular Base Camp has an R value of 5.

I think I know the answer but how much of a difference will I notice between the two of these. I really like the size and the weight is a small penalty to me.

Big difference. 1 layer underneath is worth 2 on top. 1.7 R value; might as well be a plain old bed sheet.

I think you will be feeling some chill and have to layer up. I would suggest buying the Base Camp model (depending on how well it packs down/weight).

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, night and day. Best advice is NOT to buy a pad with low [or unrated ] R value.

I have the big base camp thermarest and its cozy down to 20 deg with a decent bag. I rarely camp in colder weather than that but if I do I layer an ethafoam pad under it

Daniel_M

WKR
R value is worth the weight penalty. I'm packing the NeoAir XTherm and Thermarest Zfold which will double as a glassing pad. Total R 7.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
R value is worth the weight penalty. I'm packing the NeoAir XTherm and Thermarest Zfold which will double as a glassing pad. Total R 7.4.

That is my next question. Can two pads be layered and effectively add both R values together? I know some of the different pads offer different features for how they keep you warm as in reflective, air pocket, other marketing term....

I have one of those generic thin blue foam K-mart special type of pad from high school. I was thinking of taking that along to lay under my pad to try and get a bit more warmth, It can be folded over easily for a glassing pad. Not sure if adds even close to enough. I was also look at the thermarest Ridge rest solar. Its fairly warm on its own but coupled with my basecamp AF it would put me over R-5. I could easily get comfortable on that for glassing too. It would make for a warmer and heavier option than getting one different pad but I could use each for their own purpose later.