Need Help - Floorless Shelter w/ bug nets

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for advice and quickly running out of time. After a lot of thought I think I've decided to go with a floorless shelter, but I would like to be able to run two bug nets/nests, one on each side. I'm looking for something light weight to stuff in my backpack to spike out away from base camp for 2-3 nights at a time. The stratospire 2 is about $349 and weighs 46 ounces I think so I'd like to be somewhere around that for price and weight. I saw a picture on here somewhere of a Cimmaron with a minimalist bug net on one side, something like that, but with another net on the other side is what I'm thinking, but just the Cimmaron alone puts me at my budget. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Will be used during late September archery in Colorado at about 11k feet for two people.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I read that write up, it was pretty good. I've been considering the black diamond. Think two small nest would work in it?

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
The Cimarron with a small nest on each side is exactly what I was wanting. Trying for something with a little common area in the middle between the nests.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see that on their website. How much did it cost and what is the weight?
It's the Pyranet 2 but had it customized to where the center pole was moved to the outside and was made a bit taller..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"September archery in Colorado at about 11k"

I don't think you need a nest for those circumstances. Are you wanting some nests for later use with Texas skeeters?

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
"September archery in Colorado at about 11k"

I don't think you need a nest for those circumstances. Are you wanting some nests for later use with Texas skeeters?
Agreed with the "September archery at 11k" ..

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Meant won't need a nest during September Archery at 11k.. didn't take mine last year..use it mainly for lower elevation hunt/camping trips of for the kids.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
I want to be able to use the tent in spring and yes I'm in Texas so there's no shortage of critters that try to crawl or slither into your tent to bite you. I really like the idea of the LBO 3 piece, so you think I could get two of the bear paw minimaist nets, or would a half net be roomie enough for two grown men?

I have an LBO with base-tarp-base configuration and the vestibule. I don't think two men would want to be in one nest. But two nest with gear in the middle would be very roomy.

This is from the Seek outside website's description of the "LBO nest (2 person)"

"We recommend this nest for one 6ft individual with gear, or with a smaller person. Works great for couples but unrelated hunting partners might find it on the cozy side.

This nest is sized for the Little Bug Out base, and works with any of our tents that are larger then that. Due to the radius involved the fit is tight in the 4 man but it works well in the Cimarron, Redcliff, and tipis 6 person or larger."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
I hadn't thought about the base-tarp-base but that's pretty slick, looks like there's a ton of room. I just talked to Seek Outside and they don't have any LBO's in stock, not getting any for about 3 weeks. I'm leaving for Colorado Sept 11 so looks like the LBO is going to have to wait unless I can find a used one.

Here is my SO BCS Grande with two nests inside.

d11bafea72798407607652b8c7ca0d21.jpg
0248d3965d7fab5eecff2144f057cb72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Might take too much time, but seek has bug netting for the doors as an option on many shelters. Doesn't add much weight, and it works great. Flies mosquitoes etc really don't have the brain power to figure out to crawl underneath. Great thing about seek is the extra couple inches on the bottom to seal against the ground. With bug nets on doors, can do that and still create plenty of ventilation. I ran mine dead of summer in Washington high Cascades, which have an almost tundra like environment, ridiculous tons of biting flies and mosquitoes. Obviously a couple get in while entering exiting, but the thermacell backpacker killed them off real quick. With this, rather than nests, you can have ventilation and the entire interior working space bug free. Was well worth a few extra ounces (which the nests will add anyhow).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I know your on a budget but buy the Cimarron now. Use it on the trip and when the budget allows buy the bug nest. I went with a Cimarron this year and so far absolutely love it. It works perfect for my set up.