3 Person Tent Suggestions Under $300

Wisco1

FNG
Heading to CO this Sept and looking for a 3 person tent to use for spiking. Hopefully you guys could provide some suggestions of what has worked for you. Considering we're close to the season starting, I'm already WELL over my budgets so suggestions on the cheaper side would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tommy

FNG
Slumberjack nightfall 3 just got a nightfall 2 and so far really like it it has a nest you can take out and just use the flylike a floorless tent you should be able to get for under $250.00 I JUST LOOKED ON CAMPMOR AND ITS $139

For 3 people or a 3p tent in order to be comfortable for 2 people? FYI most tents now assume a 20" wide pad per person, so if anyone has a wide pad you'll have issues.

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
I highly doubt you will even get close to a used UL for three people for $300! So I would just get a cheapy from Walmart and split the weight amongst your selves and take the money you save and buy a couple Primus micro lanterns to give light and a little bit of heat!

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
If it's for 3 people how about 3x Mountainsmith LT? Right around $90/pc but you need trekking poles if you don't already have them.

OP
Wisco1

Wisco1

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. It's a 3 person for 2 people (both around 6 ft 200 lbs).

And Northern, I'm down in Racine county, went to school in EC though.

bounds

WKR
I bought an Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3 for my first elk backpacking trip almost 10 years ago. They still make the same one. It's 5.5-6 lbs and about $250. Was under $200 when I bought it. I'm sure you can find a discount on one somewhere online.

It's a cheap tent, but still going strong. It's never leaked and been in some big wind in the Sierra Nevada's when we lived in California and did great when staked out. There's obviously lighter weight tents available, but this one has served me really well. I've got a floorless shelter now for when I go hunting, but when my wife and I go, she likes the floor, so it still gets the nod and obviously isn't bad to carry when you split the weight.

I have an REI Half Dome 2+ and it's great. 2 people can fit with 25" pads (without a ton of extra room); if you want extra just go with the 3.

Sierra trading post often has Alps tents for pretty cheap. Alps makes some pretty good value tents.

With both options you can save a little weight by replacing the stakes with MSR groundhogs.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a new REI Quarter Dome 3 w/ 25% coupon (they mailed these out to REI card holders) for $300.......based on the 2017 upgrades and weight (4.4 lbs), very few, if any can compare at that price point. Had a BA Copper Spur in the past, but like the new REI that much better even if the Copper Spur was $100 - $200 cheaper.

FreeRange

WKR
You didn't say how you felt about floorless shelters so I'll throw this out there: Product Luna 4 Page

Just a few inches shorter than my Golite SL-5 on each side and the SL-5 is doable for 3 and great for 2 guys. Light and versatile and priced under $300 new a tipi could be your ticket.

R_burg

WKR
Just picked up a new REI Quarter Dome 3 w/ 25% coupon (they mailed these out to REI card holders) for $300.......based on the 2017 upgrades and weight (4.4 lbs), very few, if any can compare at that price point. Had a BA Copper Spur in the past, but like the new REI that much better even if the Copper Spur was $100 - $200 cheaper.
I have last yrs model I picked up used for 150 and it serves me very well.