Helinox cot review

Pramo

WKR
Helinox cot-lite review - while board in an airport

I deal with back and neck pain and need to sleep flat without a pillow. I have tried every expensive mattress including the xtherm and big sea to summit and none helped me sleep and wake up ready to go so I pulled the trigger on a helinox cot.

For reference I'm 6'2'' and 180 so I'm a little tall for the cot and my feet hang off the edge but this works out and I stay warm since my bag was not compressed surrounding my feet. I have descent width on my shoulders and I barley fit in the cot maybe one inch to spare on each side lying on my back. If your a big guy I doubt you will fit.

First issue was I tried the cot with no pad in the early spring and got pretty cold with a high end bag and felt a draft from below while it was in the upper 30's. So I bought a thin insulated sea to summit pad to add on top.

Next issue it did not fit well in my 1 man front entry tent so I moved to a Copper Spur HV 2. Wow this is getting expensive!

This cot and pad combo is 3.5 pounds and feels as good as my mattress at home. My only complaint is the pad slides around on the cot so I need to bring straps to keep in place.

I spent the last week camping at 9,500 ft early season elk hunting. It was a long pack in of 4.5 miles.

Next problem we got in late and could only find small flat spots and none large enough for 1 man tent let alone a cot. After glassing I crawled in to sleep and felt like I was falling out of a boat all night and I was clutching the rail of cot and even tore my tent floor. It was pretty awful and I should have just used my air pad.

Next day we glassed and found elk then moved camp to a flat spot. I setup the cot and pad and could not have been happier. I slept great and woke up with no pain. Spend a few more nights and killed a bull at 8 yards. It was great to hunt hard and wake up without any pain, I also liked being up from the ground a little while we got hammered with rain and hail for a half day and it helped putting my boots on having a little bench. During the heat of the day I would take the pad off and just lay on the cot to cool off and nap, this was a great.

In conclusion, if your older or have pain it's awesome, if your sleeping in a deer bed on the side of a mountain this is not worth bringing. Personally I'll never be without it again when camping and in a floorless tent it would be best. Another plus is my kids love it and we use it as a spare bed for their friends.

IMG_1913.jpg

AXEL

WKR
What height is yours? I am contemplating a high one as I am pretty gimped and have trouble sleeping as well as arising from my bag/pad on the ground as quickly as I would wish.

So, one of these may well be the solution for my needs, but, both my Hille tents are not high and I am curious as to which would work best.

warrior80

WKR
They came out with a new model this year. I bought the Large size. It is nice for a bigger person it's wider and longer than the Helinox and only I think about 6 ounces more. The regular size is about the same size and weight as the Helinox cot lite.

Access Denied

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk