Is my tent too much weight

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I have not found many specific examples of my tent being used so I thought I would ask. I picked up a big Agnes yellow jacket four person tent. I am preparing for my first elk/mule deer hunt, which will not be this year. I am a huge planner… My concern is this tent is a bit heavy. The intent was to have it served as a base camp tent for up to four people. I have three people interested in going so far, and potentially a fourth. Would I be better off trying to find something lighter or maybe reduce to two person tents?

The tent weighs 10.5 pounds and here is a link with further information.

Yellow Jacket 4 mtnGLO(R)

There is no way I'm packing a tent to sleep four guys all by myself. For truck camping it does not matter. But, for backpack hunts, why would you? People will say split it up between everyone but, why on earth would you want to have 4 guys crammed in the same tent when back packing, even if you did split the burden up between everyone. A good tipi would sleep 2 men and gear very comfortable, and allow room to cook in the rain and such. Two of those would fit the bill and if you buy the right ones, each will weigh less than 2 pounds. Good luck and God Bless

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
From a tarp guy: yes. But I say that to everyone that carries a full tent.

Hell my 6-man Tipi with stove and liner weighs less than that!

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Those concerns mirror my own exactly. I suppose I will need to keep an eye out for a deal when funds are ore free. Im looking at rifle season, so i feel like a tent would be tricky. A tipi is on my list, any suggestions for any that are as noce as kifaru but actually affordable?

Felix40

WKR
Seek outside and jimmy tarps are other options for tipis. Seek outside has sales every now and then that are pretty good. You can cut about $100 off the cost if you tell them to leave the pole out then go buy an aluminum one from rei. The redcliff would be 5.5 pounds if you do that. It would be sort of full with 4 guys but not as full as your tent.

But if you cant afford it just use the tent you have or a couple two person tents. Add in a silnylon tarp that you can put gear and stuff under and youll be fine. I spent a week in a two person tent with a buddy on one trip because its what we could afford and we both survived.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
im 6'2" so i was really hoping to have standing room. Im planning a trial run in Dec to test my current gear where ill walk six miles with everything in my current pack (likely to change packs). Its flat land but the best i can do without driving 7 hours. I feel like a floorless option is a bad idea during CO rifle season - am i off base there?

Money is a concern, esp since ive had to acquire a lot i did not need to hunt here or in Michigan such as binos, bino harness, gps, good breathable rain gear, rangefinder, etc. but id rather buy quality and have it for a while rather than suffer and not sleep well n the big hunt

FlyGuy

WKR
Im going to tell you something different. For your first hunt, forget about packing in and use that tent at a truck camp. It Doesn't matter what it weighs when you only pack it 20 yards.

I am a planner too, but I can tell you that if you read everything out there and watch every YouTube video on this, you still wont be prepared for a backcountry hunt with 4 rookies on your 1st time out. Non-resident DIY Elk hunting is hard stuff. There are a million things that can throw you off. Figuring out the logistics of food for your group; how to communicate with each other if you break into pairs; map skills, getting your clothing and shooting and sleep system dialed in... finding elk. And, if there are 4 of you, then at least 1 of them isn't as big of a planner as you are (and most likely 3 of them aren't). All those things make it complicated. But if you add "packing in your basecamp" in to the mix, then that takes the complication to a whole new level. Everyone has to have ALL their gear dialed in beforehand (food rations, bow, etc, etc.), b/c if anyone of you makes a mistake in just one of these areas, then they have to pack back out to fix it. And they probably won't be alone if they are first timers - so 2 of you will likely be coming out. And If there is just one tent, all of you are.

So, my answer is Hell yeah that tent is too heavy to pack in. So don't. Worry about that for the 2nd trip, or the 3rd. Let everyone learn some things about their gear, about themselves, and about hunting elk doing to dayhunts from base Camp this time. Have some fun and make it a ton less stressful on yourselves.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

bpctcb

WKR
Look at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs for more affordable shelters. Look at the Luna 4 or 6.

BP

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to tell you something different. For your first hunt, forget about packing in and use that tent at a truck camp. It Doesn't matter what it weighs when you only pack it 20 yards.

I am a planner too, but I can tell you that if you read everything out there and watch every YouTube video on this, you still wont be prepared for a backcountry hunt with 4 rookies on your 1st time out. Non-resident DIY Elk hunting is hard stuff. There are a million things that can throw you off. Figuring out the logistics of food for your group; how to communicate with each other if you break into pairs; map skills, getting your clothing and shooting and sleep system dialed in... finding elk. And, if there are 4 of you, then at least 1 of them isn't as big of a planner as you are (and most likely 3 of them aren't). All those things make it complicated. But if you add "packing in your basecamp" in to the mix, then that takes the complication to a whole new level. Everyone has to have ALL their gear dialed in beforehand (food rations, bow, etc, etc.), b/c if anyone of you makes a mistake in just one of these areas, then they have to pack back out to fix it. And they probably won't be alone if they are first timers - so 2 of you will likely be coming out. And If there is just one tent, all of you are.

So, my answer is Hell yeah that tent is too heavy to pack in. So don't. Worry about that for the 2nd trip, or the 3rd. Let everyone learn some things about their gear, about themselves, and about hunting elk doing to dayhunts from base Camp this time. Have some fun and make it a ton less stressful on yourselves.

So it sounds like you feel I should treat this like a solo hunt, so I will be less likely to be disappointed in the other parties involved. At first I thought of making it a community effort to base camp in was a good idea, but you make a lot of sense with your statements . One of the guys going has been out there twice, and was successful on one hunt.

I think I will start keeping an eye out for a two person tent, that should fit me and my gear with just a little wiggle room . If I can find a small three person tent that is not way too much I will also consider that, I am willing to hold a few more ounces for comfort

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
It does not look like these shelters have a floor to them, do you feel that is not an issue for rifle season?

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I would go floorless. I wasn't big on the idea until I made the leap last year and I seriously doubt I go back to a regular tent unless bugs are really bad but rifle season there shouldn't be any. Plus you can add a stove for a hot tent. I think my tipi and a stove may weigh 6 pounds at the most (haven't gotten the stove yet to weigh it). Just my .02 cents.

Floorless is a great option regardless of the time of year. Just take a ground cloth to lay your bedroll on. At 6'2", there are no light weight options that will allow you to stand. A Jimmy Tarps 4 sided tipi weighs 1 pound 9 ounces with a stove jack. It costs a touch over $300. I have one you can use/try out in December if you desire. To see if you can make it work. I do need it through October so, if you are interested, I could mail it when I'm done.

This stuff costs a lot of money. But, elk hunting is something you aren't likely to do just once. I justified the Hudson from Jimmy by using it as my camping tent when me and the wife do summer camps. I don't own a stove for it as I see no reason to have one in the weather I'll be using it in. But, it is spacious, quality crafted, and very light for a 83 square foot tent. And a stove would rock it in any weather. So, if you go this route, plan on a stove if you are going to ge out there in late October through November. That'd be another $200 minimum.

Yo have some time to swing a tent that'll fit your needs by the time the hunt gets here. Lord willing. Do what I did and sell, sell, sell everything you haven't used or, don't cherish to pay for what gear you will need to do this self sustainable. Everyone here has used gear they later replaced with lighter gear when they could afford it. But, with four men, I wouldn't be buying their shelter either. As Fly Guy pointed out, with that many in the group, there is bound to be logistic problems if everyone doesn't get organized and indebted to this effort. Don;t let anyone ruin your hunts. Be prepared and, ensure they are to by making them responsible for what is their own responsibility. Good luck and God Bless

Weight shouldn't really matter if base camp means where the vehicle stops.

I wouldn't want to share that tent for a week with three other men, I can tell you that. I'd share it with one other person, that's about it. The other members of your party need to pony up and share responsibility for bringing some tentage too.

If you add a smaller lightweight shelter like those mentioned above, you then have a sensible option for a packable spike camp.

Mike7

WKR
I agree with others above about giving yourself options, especially with so many unknowns.

Take your big tent as one of at least a couple being brought for luxury base camp tents that will be set up at the truck, but get yourself a floorless shelter that you alone, or you and one other guy can spike/bivy out in for a night or two if beneficial before coming back to the truck. Other guys can just day hunt from the truck if they want.

Get something about the size of a Luna 3 that is under 2 lbs, supports 2 guys and gear fine without a stove and with fair headroom, and is a shelter that you can use solo by yourself with a stove in the future with room to spare.

frankrb3

WKR

This is a really good answer. Try base camping from the truck and do day hunts. Some guys wont even want to wake up and hunt on day two.

Keep in mind that a 4 man tent is nowhere near big enough for 4 people. However if you split yours up between 3 people it will be a reasonable weight and a tight but doable fit for 3. Someone take the fly, someone take the body and stakes and someone takes the poles; that should be close to even. Yes, I agree with others above that a 6 or 8 man tipi would be more comfortable and maybe lighter (doubtful as you'd want a stove for rifle season), however it's easy to spend someone else's money. Also, which rifle season and what altitude? Setting up a tipi or any non-free standing tent in snow for the first time can get interesting as stakes only work if you dig down to the ground.

Like everything in the backpacking world you have to choose between 2 of the 3 features: weight, cost and bulk. You always have to give up at least one of these. It's hard to make a recommendation for a shelter without knowing more about how you plan on using it and what your hunting style will be. If you plan to spike out a lot or at all you may consider a small florless shelter, if it's more of a rare occasion you may prefer a larger basecamp tent to get out of the weather and a waterproof bivy or tarp for spike.

oldgoat

WKR
If you limit how far you go in to camp you could split up the load, there are lots of elk less than the 5to6miles you hear batted around on here. Start out closer the truck if you don't want base camp at truck, then you could even make a couple trips to get your stuff to camp and hunt in from there.

FlyGuy

WKR
So it sounds like you feel I should treat this like a solo hunt, so I will be less likely to be disappointed in the other parties involved. At first I thought of making it a community effort to base camp in was a good idea, but you make a lot of sense with your statements . One of the guys going has been out there twice, and was successful on one hunt.

I think I will start keeping an eye out for a two person tent, that should fit me and my gear with just a little wiggle room . If I can find a small three person tent that is not way too much I will also consider that, I am willing to hold a few more ounces for comfort
Well, not exactly. The camaraderie can be one of the most memorable parts of elk hunting, so I'm not telling you to go solo. (That's extremely difficult your first time out too). I'm not saying to eliminate hunting partners to avoid disappointment, I'm just saying limit the impact of that disappointment on YOUR hunt. A basecamp does a whole lot of that for you.

Lots of great advise on here and I think we are all saying the same thing. Don't bite off too much on your first hunt until you know What you are getting into. Have a cushy base Camp. That is a ton of fun. Work on finding elk (by far the hardest part) with vehicles available to give you more flexibility. Once you've done that a few times successfully, you will be far better off to try a one night spike camp. By that time, You will have already shed 20lbs of unnecessary gear/clothes/etc from your pack b/c experience has begun to teach you what is important and what is just extra weight. Through your experience, you will put your camp close to elk. Not much worse than packing in that 10lb tent into an area that doesn't hold elk. Then you are left with only two tough choices- keep hunting there and hoping, or hump it all back out and hope you get lucky the second try.

On our first outing we had a basecamp and once I started seeing elk I spiked in solo with a tarp to the area. Wish it would have been two of us, but by that point most everyone in my group was sleeping in.

I too am a fan of floorless for the reasons mentioned. For spike camps of 4, two shelters would be ideal. Either tents or tarps. If tight on space, a 3rd small tarp can be handy to get some gear out of your living space but still protected from the elements.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
All great advice guys - thank you so much!

As far what seasons, that is an interesting question. Over the weekend a buddy asked me if I would pack in with him for an archery Elk/Mule hunt, and I would just be support and the following year he would do the same for me (but rifle). If I took this offer, it would make a lot of things better for me on my hunt. The guy is like me, he hunts. He plans and thinks. He's a better deer than I am (plus), and I know we are like minded. So if I pack in for his hunt, that would be archery season. For my hunt, I'm looking to go as quickly as I can into rifle season, which will likely be OTC. I feel like waiting too late in the season is a bad idea for a Florida boy. We aren't used to that much cold. With that said, I've always favored the cold.

I certainly see the logic of having a base camp near the truck and just going out with spike tents once we find elk. Part of what "sways" me against a floorless is that it would be difficult to test locally. We have mosquito almost year round. Maybe what I can do is use my glamping tent with it's extra weight as a sort of additional weight training and practice setting up a tarp on the rare mosquito free periods we get.

A few questions:
-At what point do you strongly recommend an oven?
-Putting spikes into the ground was mentioned, I've often wondered about that and is partly what makes me think a free-standing tent or tarp set up is ideal. At what point does it become impossible to drive the spikes?
-It seems like past second season, rain is less of a concern than snow. Is this true?
-Are Big Agnes tents good enough? We have an REI locally and I can score them at a garage sale. I was looking at a Fly Creek 2 person and it's 2.5 lbs