Truck Camping sleep setup

I have built a raised platform to sleep on and store things under in the bed of my truck.

I am needing suggestions on sleep gear. Because this will serve as my mobile base camp, I will not need to backpack this sleep system.

My initial thoughts were to put a 4" foam roll down and use sleeping bags on top of that but I feel there may be a better setup.

Again, I want to design this system for maximum comfort.

Max Dimensions are 64Lx60W.

Also, the height is such that I cannot fit a blow up mattress because it will be too tall for me to fit under the camper.

I know this is small but I have it setup where I can store my gear in totes, food in yeti, and water in my portable tank.

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.

16b71a6e3d779b72013ac356c558765d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a plywood bed in my van and I keep putting more foam down. It ain't as comfortable as I hoped it would be. Right now I have like 4" of foam down and it is ok for about 6 hours of sleep after that it gets uncomfortable for me but I am over 40 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Rockchuck

WKR
Maybe check out a futon mattress?? Heavy and bulky but perhaps more comfy than just foam?? I did that in an old cabover once upon a time and thought it was better than foam, but does take up some space...

I use my Paco Pads from rafting trips.
I also built a platform in the truck bed, two pads fit side by side making it basically a queen size bed.
They are warm and about 4in thick.
Mine are the AIRE landing pads.

I spend north of 50 nights a year truck camping in my tundra. I took an old queen size mattress and removed the outer cover and cut it in half longways. I turned an old coleman sleeping bag inside out and pulled it over the foam mattress. This exposes the soft fleece lining of the bag and keeps me from sliding off of pad while in my sleeping bag. When it's real warm I just lay on top of the setup.
I just lay the matrest on the floor of my bed. I have a bed rug and carpeted liner in my leer topper. When not sleeping I put the mates in the very front of the bed and have room for all my gear. I keep my sleeping bag and pillow in a tote to keep the dust off when conditions are dry. I never understood the plywood deck thing guys build for a platform. By putting the mates right on the floor I have plenty of height to sit up and dress or eat if necessary.
The setup is very comfy and my wife uses it whit out complaint when she goes along. I truthfully sleep better in my truck than in my bed at home.

The bare fiberglass over your head will condensate badly and drip on your face. You can buy a $20 roll of Reflectix at Home Depot and some 3M spray adhesive and cover the roof. Then if you're feeling fancy buy a roll of automotive trunk liner material and cover that. I did the inside of a fiberglass camper and it if you use a nice strong pair of scissors you should be able to do a real nice job out of the gate.

Owenst7

WKR
My favorite setup for my caravan camper is just to use the $30 lightspeed pad from Costco (they're also on Amazon for a bit more). It's easy to keep out of my way and it's versatile. I've found it to be much more comfortable than a cheap mattress or foam. I actually bring one on trips to visit my parents in Alaska because the spare bed they have is so terrible haha. Couple that thing with a cot and I think it's more comfortable than my bed at home.

They're the warmest pad I've ever used and have held up to a lot of abuse, including big dogs.

I tried to do the foam route years ago, but it's heavy, expensive, and collects dirt/gets beat up. Most of all, it takes up an outrageous amount of space.

Dinger

WKR
i-3snvGjh-X3.jpg

This or similar is what I have used for 25 years,
Oztent Rivergum XL Sleeping Bag | Snowys Outdoors
and this,
BlackWolf Mega Deluxe Mat

plus a full size pillow in a seasoned canvas bedroll. I sleep like a baby in it and I can throw it on the ground, cot (rarely, but is good) or the in the back of the truck. Rolls up neat and can travel on the roof if needed. In Australia we call it a 'swag', I'm sure there is a US slang term for it.

Everyone in the family (wife, & kids) has their own one for camping etc.

I was up in the truck that night as there was 2" of flowing water on the ground.

OP
K
i-3snvGjh-X3.jpg

and this,

plus a full size pillow in a seasoned canvas bedroll. I sleep like a baby in it and I can throw it on the ground, cot (rarely, but is good) or the in the back of the truck. Rolls up neat and can travel on the roof if needed. In Australia we call it a 'swag', I'm sure there is a US slang term for it.

I was up in the truck that night as there was 2" of flowing water on the ground.

This is the mega setup and completely "swag". (Can't believe I just said that).

Where's the best place to purchase? Where you posted or is there somewhere I can get a deal at?

Owenst7

WKR
i-3snvGjh-X3.jpg

and this,

Sweet camper setup. Is it a soft top over an aluminum frame? Is it welded-seam reinforced PVC or polyolefin? I've always wanted to make a top like that for my K5.

How do you think the sand ladders would work with a fullsize truck? I've always been curious how they'd work in the snow. Some of the guys I wheeled with in Alaska carried sections of dimpled aluminum that the military used to build airstrips over swamps during WW2.

$200 for a no-name synthetic filled 20 degree F bag seems pretty steep. I'd rather do a Kelty Cosmic or a Wiggy's bag in that situation. I have a canvas Grizzly 2 person bag that is really well made and has been comfortable down to 0F that I paid less than $200 for.

I'm not seeing what that pad does that any of the sub-$100 self-inflaters do. 4" thick is pretty plush, but I think my 3" pad with pillow, side bars, and different density zones for your back/hip/legs would be just as comfortable for 1/7 of the price.

Dinger

WKR
Not being US based I'm no expert on the best place to buy something similar stateside.

Swag's in Australia are usually sold with a just a foam mattress, you add the rest and most people ditch the foam mattress. There is no option to buy something like I have as a complete setup.

I had mine stitched up by a horse rug maker and added the thickest rectangular insulated mattress I could buy and a large rectangular flannel lined sleeping bag.

Here are a few links to Australian sites give you the idea....my set up is leaning heavily on the traditional side, some of the swags available today are basically small tents.

Swags | Camping Swag Online | Best Kings Double Swag for 2 Person | Darche Outdoor Gear
Swags - Tentworld
Swags - Camping Swags

Exped make a comfortable pad that is well spoken off ....
MegaMat 10 LW | Exped USA

Cabelas and Bass Pro sites trip something in the firewall here at work so I can't be of help there.....but I do know that there is a better selection of rectangular camping sleeping bags in the US than what we have.

Stein

FNG
I bought a 3"ish foam pad and top that with a 3"ish memory foam pad I cut to the same length. We had some friends that used it for a topper on a mattress they were throwing away. I've never slept better outside the house.

One thing you may want to consider is making the platform more narrow so you have extra room beside it.

Owenst7

WKR
I have built a raised platform to sleep on and store things under in the bed of my truck.

I am needing suggestions on sleep gear. Because this will serve as my mobile base camp, I will not need to backpack this sleep system.

My initial thoughts were to put a 4" foam roll down and use sleeping bags on top of that but I feel there may be a better setup.

Again, I want to design this system for maximum comfort.

Max Dimensions are 64Lx60W.

Also, the height is such that I cannot fit a blow up mattress because it will be too tall for me to fit under the camper.

I know this is small but I have it setup where I can store my gear in totes, food in yeti, and water in my portable tank.

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.

16b71a6e3d779b72013ac356c558765d.jpg

Does your bedliner have the little ledges on the sides for a 2x4? Most of them do, so you can run 3 or 4 lengths of 2x across the width of the bed and then lay a sheet of plywood over that.

OP
K
If'n it were me..... I'd chitcan the wood frame and make one outta 1" square tubing to save height. You'd gain space above for a mattress and still keep the same lower clearance

For me, a trade off of 2.5" for all that work is not worth it. Plus the current setup was built for $0.

OP
K
Sweet camper setup. Is it a soft top over an aluminum frame? Is it welded-seam reinforced PVC or polyolefin? I've always wanted to make a top like that for my K5.

How do you think the sand ladders would work with a fullsize truck? I've always been curious how they'd work in the snow. Some of the guys I wheeled with in Alaska carried sections of dimpled aluminum that the military used to build airstrips over swamps during WW2.

$200 for a no-name synthetic filled 20 degree F bag seems pretty steep. I'd rather do a Kelty Cosmic or a Wiggy's bag in that situation. I have a canvas Grizzly 2 person bag that is really well made and has been comfortable down to 0F that I paid less than $200 for.

I'm not seeing what that pad does that any of the sub-$100 self-inflaters do. 4" thick is pretty plush, but I think my 3" pad with pillow, side bars, and different density zones for your back/hip/legs would be just as comfortable for 1/7 of the price.

Do you have links or names of your current setup or suggested setup?

I like the pad and bag idea.

Owenst7

WKR
Do you have links or names of your current setup or suggested setup?

I like the pad and bag idea.

You didn't mention what temperatures you're wanting to plan around, so I'm going to assume 20F.

My feelings with synthetic vs. down insulation is that because down retains its loft indefinitely (unless it needs washing), and all synthetics compress over time, a synthetic bag should be purchased with the expectation that it will probably lose 20F of warmth after the first few years. That said, I prefer synthetic for certain situations...such as a wet dog when I'm car camping. I felt differently about this when I lived in Alaska, but since moving to the desert, I've realized that I really never allowed my bag to get wet in Alaska even when it was pouring. The one big exception to this would be canoe/kayak/raft trips. I'd still be much more comfortable bringing a synthetic bag.

If you do some research, the consensus between many in the sleeping bag industry is that the volume of insulation over you is really all that dictates warmth. There's a chart from the US Army that states that the material doesn't matter, and lists temp ratings based on inches of insulation. That seems to coincide somewhat to the EN lower limit. I've found Western Mountaineerings ratings to be a very good rule of thumb for me, so I just check their website for the thickness of their bag for the temp is want, and judge a bags warmth with a tape measure.

Synthetic bags:
SALE: ACU & MARPAT Super Light › Mummy Style Sleeping Bags - Wiggy's, Inc.
I don't have personal experience with them other than checking out the store in Anchorage a few times. I have a couple friends that have nothing but good things to say about them.
Best Cold Weather Sleeping Bags | Grizzly -25 Canvas Sleeping Bag
I have this bag and love it for car camping with the girlfriend. I've used it down to about 0 with no complaints, other than sharing it with a woman is almost as bad as sharing it with a dog when it comes to you getting your share of the bed. That company makes lots of single person bags that are the same construction. They are very durable. I bought mine at Costco about five years ago for about $100.

I also have a pair of Slumberjack Eskimo -30F bags that I bought in 1996 that I've used down to -40F. It wasn't fun, but I survived. I don't think they'd be comfortable for much past 0 today, but they were under $200 back then, so that's still a good deal for what they do today. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again today for a motorized-access hunt.

Down Bags:
Kelty Cosmic 20 is popular. I've had one for a few years and think they're great bags for the price. I paid about $100 for it on sale. Check STP, Steep&Cheap, REI Garage, etc. My girlfriend currently uses mine for backpacking trips and has been comfortable in to the 40s in a hammock with no underquilt. It's a pretty wide bag down to the hip too. Only comes in RH zip.

REI Igneo is brand new and looks like a really good bag for the everyday price. If I needed a bag with no time to wait for a sale, I'd probaly just buy one at my local store.

Western Mountaineering Antelope is the current bag I use. It's under 3 lbs and 7" thick. It has a gore tex shell and is plenty roomy for me even in my hammock. I got it on eBay for about $300 in great condition. You'd be hard pressed to find a higher quality bag than WM. I'm shopping eBay right now for a 20-30 degree bag from them to use in the summer. For now I'm using a down quilt from Costco with good results down to about 45F.

North Face Never Summer is one I see a lot. I think the Cat's Meow is synthetic but I hear that one mentioned a lot.

Montbell and valandre are mentioned a lot online but I have no experience with them.

Pads:
Amazon.com : Lightspeed Outdoors PVC-Free Self Inflating Camp Sleep Pad : Sports & Outdoors
Costco has sold the 3" thick blue pad consistently for as many years as I can remember. They are $30. I have not found a more comfortable pad yet for any price. I have not tried the super thick Exped mats, but they look interesting. I can't justify the price difference though with as much as I like the Costco pad. They're also the warmest pad I own.

One other thing I like about a self-inflating pad is they really can't get wet.

Whatever you do, don't buy a marmot trestles. Those bags are junk. I've had cold nights in mine in the 40s with long johns, and I'm usually comfortable in the 50s with just jeans and a jacket. Mine is only about 2" thick total and has a bunch of empty areas. My girlfriend's is the same way. I'd rather have a bag from Walmart.

Last edited: