Truck Camping sleep setup

Dinger

WKR
Sweet camper setup. Is it a soft top over an aluminum frame? Is it welded-seam reinforced PVC or polyolefin? I've always wanted to make a top like that for my K5.

Galv steel RHS with a poly fabric that is stitched and welded in places. Very common set up around here.

i-48CqfD7-X3.jpg

I own a 79 K5 and it would work a treat on one.

How do you think the sand ladders would work with a fullsize truck? I've always been curious how they'd work in the snow. Some of the guys I wheeled with in Alaska carried sections of dimpled aluminum that the military used to build airstrips over swamps during WW2.

Whilst they are pretty tough they are not there for bridging in my mind, best kept as just as a traction aid, especially for full size rigs.

Final_Home_Img3Comp.jpg

$200 for a no-name synthetic filled 20 degree F bag seems pretty steep. I'd rather do a Kelty Cosmic or a Wiggy's bag in that situation. I have a canvas Grizzly 2 person bag that is really well made and has been comfortable down to 0F that I paid less than $200 for.

That's in Australian dollars....probably $15 USD.

I'm not seeing what that pad does that any of the sub-$100 self-inflaters do. 4" thick is pretty plush, but I think my 3" pad with pillow, side bars, and different density zones for your back/hip/legs would be just as comfortable for 1/7 of the price.

Again due to sheer volume through 12x population and better exchange rates I am sure you can get equivalent or better products for far less outlay.

I have used and own a host cheap ones...I liked that one after using someone else and didn't give a rats arse about the cost.

You spend a third of your life asleep and I found it to be just as comfortable as my bed at home. In fact I have two of them as they were given the tick of approval from the 'Minister for Home Affairs', and she is very picky about sleeping gear when we are away camping.

My favorite setup for my caravan camper is just to use the $30 lightspeed pad from Costco (they're also on Amazon for a bit more). It's easy to keep out of my way and it's versatile. I've found it to be much more comfortable than a cheap mattress or foam. I actually bring one on trips to visit my parents in Alaska because the spare bed they have is so terrible haha. Couple that thing with a cot and I think it's more comfortable than my bed at home.

They're the warmest pad I've ever used and have held up to a lot of abuse, including big dogs.

I tried to do the foam route years ago, but it's heavy, expensive, and collects dirt/gets beat up. Most of all, it takes up an outrageous amount of space.

Those Caravan Campers look like a great setup.I'm done with fiberglass.If I ever buy another new truck that what I'm getting

AlaskaEd

WKR
I use a Bedrug bedliner and sleep directly on it. Sometimes I'll use an inflatable pad, but the bedrug is fairly soft. Just store your stuff on one side and sleep on the other, get rid of that platform. Seems like a lot of wasted space.

GKPrice

Banned
I built a plywood bed in my van and I keep putting more foam down. It ain't as comfortable as I hoped it would be. Right now I have like 4" of foam down and it is ok for about 6 hours of sleep after that it gets uncomfortable for me but I am over 40 so maybe that has something to do with it.

use denser foam ?

GKPrice

Banned
i-3snvGjh-X3.jpg

This or similar is what I have used for 25 years,
Oztent Rivergum XL Sleeping Bag | Snowys Outdoors
and this,
BlackWolf Mega Deluxe Mat

plus a full size pillow in a seasoned canvas bedroll. I sleep like a baby in it and I can throw it on the ground, cot (rarely, but is good) or the in the back of the truck. Rolls up neat and can travel on the roof if needed. In Australia we call it a 'swag', I'm sure there is a US slang term for it.

Everyone in the family (wife, & kids) has their own one for camping etc.

I was up in the truck that night as there was 2" of flowing water on the ground.

in the U.S. the term is generally "bedroll" .... (which you said in the beginning) the ones I sew / sell are what you must call a "swag", self contained with bag, pad, pillow, etc ... to roll up and be impervious to wet or dust

Here are a couple pictures of my set up.
I'm very happy with it, 2 people and plenty of gear fit no problem.

Truck Bed 2.jpg

Its 4 pieces so I can easily take it in and out by myself.
The center boards come out making it into 2 benches if you need to hang out inside for a while.
The rear board is the exact dimensions of my yeti cooler so it can fit in and we can still sleep on top.
I wanted to keep my chest toolbox in the truck because I have all my tools and gear stashed in there.

Truck Bed.jpg

Last edited:
I have a chest toolbox in my full size ford, too. I put a foam/memoryfoam mattress on top of it, made up with real bedsheets, blankets and cover. I'm only 5'8" so have no problem sleeping across the shell. Leaves the whole rest of the truckbed to toss stuff in. I spend a lotta nights in it, in all weather conditions, so there is a buddy heater and fan and propane shower always in the chest.

OP
K
A note to those of you who suggest getting rid of the platform, I'm 6'7" 250 so the platform is necessary. I have a yeti, bow with case, 2 action packers for clothes, and more random stuff. Mind you this is a short bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K
WTF would a big feller like you buy a kiddie sized truck?.......grin

Well it's a double cab so for driving it's great. It was never intended to be a hunting truck but I am finishing up my engineering degrees so a new rig will have to wait 2-3 years. This is mainly for the whitetail rut. It takes me 90 minutes from my house to my stand (that's the closest stand, not the best). So if I can rough it for 6-7 days and only have a 20 minute walk for each hunt, then I'm WAY ahead. Also, if I just split it up into 1 night stays I'm way ahead on time too.

So to answer your question indirectly, this is just a temporary fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparelink

FNG
My setup is a piece of 1/2 ply sitting on milk crates. In my Silverado, milk grates are the same height as the wheel well. the crate give me storage for lesser used items like bungies and straps. they ply is currently cut to fit a twim air mattress but i can easilly swap it out for a smaller one or split for one on each side to use with a sleeping pad. This also gives me under storage for smaller items. I then have room for tubs on the other side for larger gear. I keep Food and clothing in the back seat of the cab. makes for comfortable yet usable space with minimal setup cost.

2a29e51b8dd1686a634df197e391777c.jpg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite setup for my caravan camper is just to use the $30 lightspeed pad from Costco (they're also on Amazon for a bit more). It's easy to keep out of my way and it's versatile. I've found it to be much more comfortable than a cheap mattress or foam. I actually bring one on trips to visit my parents in Alaska because the spare bed they have is so terrible haha. Couple that thing with a cot and I think it's more comfortable than my bed at home.

They're the warmest pad I've ever used and have held up to a lot of abuse, including big dogs.

I tried to do the foam route years ago, but it's heavy, expensive, and collects dirt/gets beat up. Most of all, it takes up an outrageous amount of space.

Caravan is where it's at!

oldgoat

WKR
My go to sleep system for the truck is a canvas cowboy bedroll! If it's not raining though, it usually goes out on the ground. Warm, dry, but heavy as hell!