SO Silvertip vs Lil Bug Out

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with either and which you would prefer. I primarily would be solo hunting, maybe a stove with gear. I've read numerous reviews and just can't decide. I think it's only a couple ounce weight difference if that much. I'm thinking lil bug out but wanted to see what others have thought. Primarily hunting Oregon and Washington.

Thanks

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
You lucked out, just had a Silvertip delivered today. When I ordered I asked them which was better as a 4 season bombproof shelter, high winds, snow, etc. and they said definitely the Silvertip. The impression I got was that the LBO was more of a recreational shelter.

LandYacht

WKR
I'd disagree with that based on four years of high winds and snow in the LBO. Never been in or seen a Silvertip. AKTroutbum has a video of his LBO in a very strong wind that would tear apart a lot of shelters.

I would base my decision on if you wanted modularity or not. My guess is both are going to perform admirably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Silvertip. I use it for a solo shelter. It's pretty much bombproof.

The LBO has a proven track record as a bombproof shelter too. I believe the biggest advantage of the LBO is its modular design. It can be configured in a lot of different ways. from solo to a small group.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my silvertip last week. Set it up over the weekend and seam sealed, learned it etc. I went the silvertip route instead of LBO mostly because the LBO sounded so complicated in comparison to 6 stakes and a pole (more stakes needed in high winds). Now I didn't do a ton of research on the LBO but all of the base-tarp-base and base plus 3 piece vestibule talk scared me away. Second time setting up my silvertip and it took less than 5 minutes including extending and connecting my short trekking poles. This pic shows the the silvertip (and dst) in a 10 mph with 20 mph gusts. The thing barely moved while the dst was flapping all over the place. But to be clear: I have no real life experience with the LBO. And the stove was way to hot for 50 degrees. It was a sweat lodge in there.
3d13511d0461b7e8ea92f630b04baa5c.jpg

3fbd66df3d99cdd0b1e585cc12be527d.jpg

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I asked about both and they said if you have a long bag to go with the LBO so your head and feet don't touch the sides. So I would like to know if any of you have them and if it is true that might need to play into the OP thoughts on which to go with.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First, both shelters will perform well in any conditions you can throw at them. I've used the LBO and 3 piece vestibule in year round camping/hunting mostly in the mountains of Idaho and it works well. You'll get a little more room and head height in the LBO plus the modularity and ability to only take the base for an ultralight early season shelter. Silvertip is similar to a more traditional two person shelter and will work as a solo shelter with a stove, OR as a two person shelter without a stove.

If you primarily think you will be hunting solo, the Silvertip is a great tent and will save you a few ounces over the LBO. If you want a little more room and the ability for two guys to sleep and have all your gear with some comfort, the LBO and 3 piece vestibule is the route to go. Whichever tent you get you'll like.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think that'll do ya. I had a silvertip momentarily (enough time to set up in the yard and see that it would work but wished for a bit more space) and flipped that for a LBO w/ vestibule which has more space in it and also the aforementioned modularity aspect. Haven't slept in either just "in the back yard" impressions. I like the size of the LBO better for when I might be solo or just planning on 2 guys in a smaller footprint mode. Spike hunts I like my Cimarron for 2 guys as there is tons of space for gear (LBO with tarp would do also but I don't have a tarp yet).

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Either the Silvertip or LBO will handle worse weather than you want to be out in.

In theory, the Silvertip should handle high winds from different angles better than the LBO due to its' symmetrical shape.

In really high winds from a specific direction some wind slap is possible from the LBO beak.

Other than that it comes down to size. Silvertip is great for a minimalist with a stove, or two minimalists without stove.

LBO is bigger for one, more comfortable for two, and you can squeeze two plus stove in one with some gear shuffling.

Which one would any of you say is best for a situation where finding a good campsite is difficult? What I am getting at is, even if the Silvertip is a bit smaller, does the shape of it make it harder or easier than the LBO when ideal ground is hard to find?

Skickat från min S40 via Tapatalk

Elite

WKR
Which one would any of you say is best for a situation where finding a good campsite is difficult? What I am getting at is, even if the Silvertip is a bit smaller, does the shape of it make it harder or easier than the LBO when ideal ground is hard to find?

Skickat från min S40 via Tapatalk

I would also like to hear some feedback on this question

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ST max dimensions are 8' 11 x 8'11 between widest points.

LBO is just over 8' wide by almost 10.5' long.

So I'd say ST is easier to squeeze into a tight spot, but it's close.