best hammock

tommy

FNG
just got back from 1st diy backpack hunt in colorado and tent/floorless shelters suck couldnt find a level spot for my shelter anywhere and going to try a hammock would like to hear any thoughts on the subject

Grand Trunk double is the biggest that I was able to find. Parachute material packs down to about the size of a small cantaloupe. weight is about a pound if I recall correctly.
I don't sleep real well in one, but it's not much of a weight/volume penalty to take it and an underquilt (another pound) so that I can hang when I need to. I always carry the tarp whether or not I'm hammocking or not. Nothing like hanging over a slope on muddy ground to reaffirm your choice!

Deepshax

WKR
Not sure if the best but currently using a dutchware chameleon in 1.6 hexon w/ whoopie slings. I like it. Goes up and comes down quick and is pretty comfy.

I live in the northeast. We have lots of trees and rocks. Finding flat level ground is difficult some times. Why not capitalize on what you have? Lol

OP
T

tommy

FNG
Not sure if the best but currently using a dutchware chameleon in 1.6 hexon w/ whoopie slings. I like it. Goes up and comes down quick and is pretty comfy.

I live in the northeast. We have lots of trees and rocks. Finding flat level ground is difficult some times. Why not capitalize on what you have? Lol

yeah i spent the first night wadded up in the bottom of my bivybag every time i moved i sunk a little deeper needless to say it was a cold sleepless night

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Best Hammock? You're asking the wrong question.

The correct question is "How do I best stay warm in a hammock?"

Honestly the style or brand of hammock isn't that important. What you need to focus on is insulation. Look HARD into bottom insulation. You WILL freeze your butt off in a hammock if you don't know what you're doing.

My cool / cold setup is a Hammock Gear Incubator 0 degree underquilt with overstuff, and an Enlightened Equipment Enigma 0 deg top quilt.

This plus Rab Hot Socks and a toboggan and gaiter (buff) takes me down into the 20's pretty comfortably.

I've got two different brands of hammock, a Warbonnet Blackbird and a TTT Switchback. The blackbird is better for back sleepers who don't move a ton in the night (my wife). The switchback is better for restless sleepers like me.

One other piece of advice, if a backpack elk hunt is the first time you use your hammock setup then you've made a big mistake. Hammocks are awesome, but they require knowledge and experience to get everything dialed.

Last edited:

Deepshax

WKR
I feel your pain. Ive definitely have woken up in the middle of the night to find everything below the waist sticking out of the bottom of my duomid lol

twall13

WKR
Lots of great Hammocks out there. I'd recommend cottage manufactures like Dutchware, Warbonnet, Wilderness Logics, or Dream Hammock, etc. Get an 11' long Hammock and, as a poster above mentioned, spend some time getting to know how to sleep in it before your hunt. There is a bigger learning curve than you might think. If you are serious about getting one, buy the book "The Ultimate Hang" and read it. It's a quick easy read with illustrations and will help you understand all you don't know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
T

tommy

FNG
Best Hammock? You're asking the wrong question.

The correct question is "How do I best stay warm in a hammock?"

Honestly the style or brand of hammock isn't that important. What you need to focus on is insulation. Look HARD into bottom insulation. You WILL freeze your butt off in a hammock if you don't know what you're doing.

My cool / cold setup is a Hammock Gear Incubator 0 degree underquilt with overstuff, and an Enlightened Equipment Enigma 0 deg top quilt.

This plus Rab Hot Socks and a toboggan and gaiter (buff) takes me down into the 20's pretty comfortably.

I've got two different brands of hammock, a Warbonnet Blackbird and a TTT Switchback. The blackbird is better for back sleepers who don't move a ton in the night (my wife). The switchback is better for restless sleepers like me.

One other piece of advice, if a backpack elk hunt is the first time you use your hammock setup then you've made a big mistake. Hammocks are awesome, but they require knowledge and experience to get everything dialed.
i will be buying a hammock soon and will have it dialed in by next season

homebru

FNG
I bought a Sheltowee Boone Hammock. It's an "all in one" hammock / underquilt. Bought the "topper" bug net and a tarp that Alex sells. I chose this by calling the cottage manufacturers and asking "name 3 you would buy if you didn't make this stuff yourself". Dutchware, Warbonnet, Wilderness, Dream, they all know what they're doing and make great products. I chose Sheltowee 'cause it's integrated and fast / easy to set up. I won't sleep on the ground unless I'm above treeline anymore. If I have a wall tent w/ stove and cot, I might stay there but, otherwise, it's the hammock, for me.

If you're tall, be careful. You'll need an extra long hammock and be sure to "try before you buy". Yes, Sheltowee allows "try before you buy" for the cost of shipping.

hope this helps
homebru

I was given a Kammock Roo with a tarp and their python straps. I'd never used one and didn't ever plan on it. I stuck it in my bin of gear that I don't use. Then one day I decided to get it out and eventually tried it on an 11 day work trip in the forest. I've never slept that good outdoors. Now, I'm working up the courage to try and use it as it gets colder.

GotDraw?

WKR
Hummingbird 1+ hammock, ultra light. Whoopie slings, full rectangular cuben tarp.

As suggested, spend time to learn how to use the hammock system.

I have 20 degree underquilt, it's been fine but wish i had gone w/a zero.

JL

atredmon

FNG
I use a Hammock often in a wide variety of situations. Being a college student, Ive found really good ways to dial in my setup without breaking the bank. I use a grand trunks double hammock and instead of using the stock straps it comes with, I have taken the long portions of two ratchet straps and removed the hooks and made a prusik knot that i can adjust once around the tree. Ive done this cause I found that it gives me a wider selection in terms of tree sizes an distances between trees that i can tie to. Also I carry an underquilt from outdoor vitals, sleeping bag from OV, and a an adventure tarp 2 by terra nova equipment. I also use an old GI foam sleeping pad for added warmth on my bottom side but that's a personal preference. Ive ran this set up down into 15 degree weather with no issues. not as high quality as some but it has gotten the job done for me and my budget.

Okay...let's get real for a moment...answer these questions.

1. Do you have a budget?
2. Do you want a bonafide 4 season hammock? (They cost more)
3. Will it be a "base camp" or will you camp in a different location and carry it with you all day? Got a weight limit in mind?
4. Will you ever hunt someplace where there are no trees or anything to hang from? (Yes, there's a hammock for that too)
5. Will you ever hunt in a buggy location?
6. Have you ever spent a week in a hammock?

Hammocks vary and there's a steep learning curve, especially for those venturing into extreme weather for extended trips.

image.jpg

Look at a Clark Mark II MARK2 - Clark Camping Hammock. Clark makes real 4 season hammocks suitable for Mother Nature's worst. I use their NX-250 and a Mega Ogee tarp. It has storm doors.

Last edited:
Dutchware 11 footer. Length is important for the bliss experience. I made, used, and bought a bunch but, have stuck with the 11 footer from Ducth. Width isn't nearly as important as length. Too short and the cradle you create by the proper sag is more narrow. So, dismiss the Eno's, grand trunk's, etc... because they all make SHORT hammocks. Buy from a cottage vendor. Take that from a guy that learned this from experience.

And get the right gear. Arrowhead makes a very good synthetic under quilt. Affordable too. Get a top quilt. And buy a tarp with doors for hunting. Often you will appreciate the doors when rain or snow is being driven by the wind. I'd pick something besides silnylon. Silpoly, Xenon, or any polyester based material for the tarp. Does't stretch and doesn't require Catenary cuts like silnylon. Which improves wind blockage.

If you do this right, you will never willingly choose ground sleeping over a hammock again. If you do it wrong, you will be like everyone else that did it wrong in that you'll say its a good idea but, you FROZE your butt off. I've hung and slept in total bliss into the teens. If I wanted to, I could get the equipment to do it as low as I'd be willing to do it in a tent. So, take the nay sayers advice with a grain of salt. Good luck and God Bless

cbd.gif

JClark

FNG
I have a warbonnet blackbird hammock, has a built in "footbox" that gives you extra room and allows you to lay almost flat. Pair with Hammock Gear down quilts and you have an excellent 3 season sleep system. Will never go back to the ground in a tent, your back will thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk