30 degree bag instead of 15... or 0?

Is it worth the weight (...and money) savings to just have a high quality 30 degree bag and sleep in insulation layers when the temp dips in the teens to single digits? Anyone have experience with this?

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is different, but I tried going as light as possible with my sleep system. Found out it didn't work for me for a couple reasons. I was still cold even with my insulation layers on (not as cold as without, but still uncomfortably cold). I also toss and turn a lot throughout the night, and with clothes on it feels like you are trying to escape a straight jacket all night. I finally broke down and got a warmer bag and pad. Have slept wonderfully down to the teens with just underwear. For me, a good nights sleep is well worth the extra weight.

Owenst7

WKR
The difference between a WM Summerlite (19 ounces) and a WM Antelope (39 ounces) is 20 ounces. If I needed to bring my 18 ounce, 800 fill down jacket to be comfortable during the day, I might see some merit to that plan. Problem is, it would have to be near zero as a daytime high for me to need that. Im good in a fleece pullover and windbreaker until about 20. Closer to zero if im moving. If im going to carry 20 ounces of stuff that i only use for part of the day, i might as well maximize my comfort and get a good nights sleep.

tommy

FNG
Is it worth the weight (...and money) savings to just have a high quality 30 degree bag and sleep in insulation layers when the temp dips in the teens to single digits? Anyone have experience with this?
trold groth and backpack hunter are right get a bag rated a little colder you will sleep better trying to wear extra clothes doesnt work more clothes means less loft in bag and a straight jacket effect

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you ever spent a night or three too cold on a backpacking trip where you don't have a good bailout option?

You can always vent to get cooler. When you're cold wearing everything you can put on and are buttoned up as tight as you can get you're in for a sucky time.

AXEL

WKR
I also strongly recommend a bag rated a bit colder than you expect to need. I just bought two WM bags this summer, a Terralite for most trips and a Sequoia, for hunting on most trips.

I have a highend winter bag for some situations, so, the first two are best for me.

I have worn clothes in bags and find this very uncomfortable, so, spend the coin, go "best quality" and a bit lower temp rating and I think you will be happy.

wildcat33

WKR
Depends on the person as to the comfort rating. I have a WM summerlite (32*) and i start to feel a little chilly when the temps get into the low 40s. My main hunting bag is a zero degree Mtn Hardware Lamina and i start to feel the cold around 10* all the while my hunting partner is sleeping in his bag that looks like a beach blanket and is doing fine. Point is, everyone is different - I know I sleep cold so there is no way in hell i would go out in fall with a 32 degree bag. For others it may be fine. If you don't have that knowledge of yourself yet, better to err on the warmer side.

ianpadron

WKR
Go warmer...you'll NEVER regret it.

I use my 0° year round, only been uncomfortably hot in the mountains with it once.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You can always use a warmer bag as a blanket. You can never make a cooler bag warmer. I tried the 16oz 35 degree bag and was always cold. I can run my 15 degree bag all year.

Another thing to consider. The lighter bags are so light because they cut material. They are not as roomy. Depending on how big you are when you start adding layers you become bigger and compress the insulation. Compressed insulation will not perform well. Essentially the more layers you add the more you take away from the insulation capabilities of the insulation.

OP
burritosavage
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like its time to sell some gear for a new bag. I wonder if the old lady will miss any of her shoes...

I unfortunately have pushed the limits of several bags and froze my butt off going 10 -20 degrees below the "comfort level" . Its NOT fun but I lived and suffered no permanent damage. Last weekend I slept in a marmot 30 degree bag at 9200 ft in around 28 degrees not including the wind which gusted at 30 mph at least at times through the night. I did use a waterproof bivy and wore a micropuff jacket sleeping very comfy at below comfort level. For my uses in late summer and fall in the Sierra a 20 degree bag with or without bivy cover all conditions well but a 30 degree can work often.