Need help on EE quilt temps

nrh6.7

WKR
I am getting ready to order an EE Revelation quilt and need advice on which temp rating for CO archery elk. I sleep pretty avg I'd guess, but maybe a little on the warm side. I'll be using a Xtherm pad w/5.7 R value along with a bivy in a floorless shelter or under a tarp. Based on this info could anyone that is similar to me tell me what you're using? I am thinking about getting a 30* to save a few ounces, but don't want to underestimate CO's weather and freeze my butt off. Would love to get some insight...thx.

I did talk to EE today and they said their ratings are for the "average man".

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
I have a EE Rev Pro quilt, 20* 850 downtek fill, reg. Wide 22ozs, I wish I had a 0*, you can always open it up, but I've been cold in the thirties. Go warmer and buy once is my advise. Save the ounces elsewhere and get a good nights sleep.

I've had a 20 in the 30's and was fine, but definitely wouldn't want the weather to get any cooler. For sept in co, would go with a 20 and add layers, and definitely suggest some of their booties (3oz) to help get you down to cooler temps if needed.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Revelation 10 degree and used it the other night during 40 degree outside temps. It was great, but I'm glad I didn't go any higher temp rating with the quilt, as I doubt this would actually be warm enough alone if it got down to below 20 outside...and I'm typically a hot sleeper.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a 20 deg and a 0 deg. The 20 is fine for probably 45 and up for me, the 0 deg (with overfill) is probably good down to the 20's.

I go to sleep hot and wake up cold. Always have, always will. I've accepted the fact that I am ok beating the expected temps by 30-50 degrees with my temp ratings. When you go to bed after a hard sweaty hike and sitting in a cool breeze for a while it's nice to batten down the hatches and roast like a turkey in an oven for an hour or two until your clothes dry out.

I can always vent or even lay on top of my quilt to get cooler. When you're buttoned up and cold, you've got few options to get warmer besides chemical heat packs, using fuel to heat water for a hot water bottle or drink, or building a fire.

I've laid awake for hours with teeth chattering on backpacking trips before, and it just flat sucks.

Note that the Revelation has a drawstring footbox and leaves an airgap at the bottom. The enigma is a sewn footbox and will keep your feet warmer. I like RAB hot socks or similar to keep feet warm.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
gdog and RockChucker, what pad are you guys using under your quilt and do you use a bivy ever?

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
gdog and RockChucker, what pad are you guys using under your quilt and do you use a bivy ever?

Pad is a Big Agnes Q Core SLX (15 degree rating). I have a Borah ultralight Argon 67 side zipper bivy on order, which I hope to get within the next week. Last weekend I used the 10 degree quilt and pad in a Big Agnes 2 man SL Seedhouse tent. The bivy setup will be for my Cimarron floorless setup, which I also have some Tyvek cut to put as a floor if wanted/needed.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Pad is a Big Agnes Q Core SLX (15 degree rating). I have a Borah ultralight Argon 67 side zipper bivy on order, which I hope to get within the next week. Last weekend I used the 10 degree quilt and pad in a Big Agnes 2 man SL Seedhouse tent. The bivy setup will be for my Cimarron floorless setup, which I also have some Tyvek cut to put as a floor if wanted/needed.

Thanks again. Sounds like a great set up. Do you hunt later seasons, and if so will you use get another quilt?

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Couldn't wait so just placed my order for a 20* Rev reg/wide 850. Came out to just over 21 oz. Also picked up the lightest booties, so just need to get my bivy sorted out then I'll be in business.

Felix40

WKR
You should be fine. Ive been using a 20 for a few years. Temps from 19 to 60s and only been cold one time because I wasnt using a shelter and the wind was blowing hard. Like most have said I wish I had gone with a 10 because I could handle some seriously cold weather and its only a couple extra ounces.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for the feedback, Felix. I seriously thought about a 10* but I tend to sleep on the warm side and I also figured I'll end up with a 0* at some point anyways.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again. Sounds like a great set up. Do you hunt later seasons, and if so will you use get another quilt?

Yes...I hunt later season and sometimes camp out for Chukar hunting late in the year. Don't plan on getting another quilt at this time. If it gets really cold, I'll add my Western Mountaineering Antelope bag to the mix.

ljalberta

WKR
Quilts have changed the way I sleep in the backcountry. Absolutely love my EE Revelation. I had a 20*, however now have a 10* that I'm very happy with. If you end up with a 0* or even a -10* I think you'll be very happy with the 20* option in your quiver. I used my quilt, Xtherm, and a Borah ultralight bivy for my bighorn hunt this year and had some of the greatest sleeps I've had all year (including my bed at home). I was never even close to being chilly, although the temperature only dropped to about 28F.

BRWNBR

WKR
I have the 0 degree quilt from EE. Wouldn't go any warmer, would love. -10 quilt I think. But the 0 has been great well below freezing. I'm on a neo air matteress. (Yellow one with the foil in it)

I have the 0, 10, 20 & 30 degree EE Revelation quilts AND ONLY PACK THE 0* anymore. Better to need to vent it to be comfy than try to add warmth. Get the heavier Hoodlum too, this is ideal! You can make a quilt cooler by venting but you cannot make it warmer. If you are only buying one, get the 0* and thank me later. I use the EXPED UL9 (now called Winter) with a 6 R rating. Be sure you use your straps on the quilt.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Called EE back this morning and added a hoodlum to my order. Should be good for any early to mid season hunts. Will probably order a 0* quilt at some point in the future.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Got my quilt in today and am really impressed with the quality. Hard to believe something so light will keep you warm, but looking forward to giving it a run.

View attachment 58505

Last edited:

Crispyb

FNG
Just ordered the -10 with the 10% off for Black Friday.
Love the 40 day return policy. Made it an easy decision

boom

WKR
just ordered a 10 deg..

i couldnt get past the purple..so i ordered another color. i dont need it until July technically..i'm taking my WM to AZ in Jan. the Quilt is coming with me to PERU.