Adding a 4 legged partner, need a new tent.

Need help so lets pool this knowledge in here. I need a UL tent with a floor. I would like double wall. I want head room. If there is great head room I may not really need the double wall. I just don't want to be rubbing up on wet tent walls. It needs to fit me, my wife, and our dog. It need space for gear so either vestibules or room inside for me, my wife, our dog, and now our gear. It needs to be light and money is not a concern. What are my options.

Please don't tell me about floorless shelters.

ianpadron

WKR
Need help so lets pool this knowledge in here. I need a UL tent with a floor. I would like double wall. I want head room. If there is great head room I may not really need the double wall. I just don't want to be rubbing up on wet tent walls. It needs to fit me, my wife, and our dog. It need space for gear so either vestibules or room inside for me, my wife, our dog, and now our gear. It needs to be light and money is not a concern. What are my options.

Please don't tell me about floorless shelters.
All I'll say is floored shelters and dogs make for one god awful combination in the mountains.

Dogs have a tendency to get dirty and wet and having that mess dragged into a floored shelter with your sleeping bags and such is not fun, trust me. Their claws are also not a good match for silnylon floors....even when just walking in and out.

You don't want to hear about floorless shelters I know, but if I were you I'd STRONGLY reconsider.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
The claw issue I plan to mitigate with proper care. The dirty issue will hopefully be mitigated with good training and enough room to keep him on one side of the tent in his own sleeping pad.

I have no doubt this will be a learning curve.

What about a floorless with a nest for us and the open space for the dog?

The claw issue I plan to mitigate with proper care. The dirty issue will hopefully be mitigated with good training and enough room to keep him on one side of the tent in his own sleeping pad.

I have no doubt this will be a learning curve.

What about a floorless with a nest for us and the open space for the dog?

I know you put the floorless disclaimer, but can I ask why? Coming from another guy in Utah who backpacks with a wife and 2 dogs and switched to a floorless shelter last year, I can't imagine a situation in Utah where I would rather have a floor than go floorless.

Dinger

WKR
SO Redcliff with a nest?...dogs and floors are just a mess waiting to happen.

Or something like an MSR 2 man with the extended gear vestibule and leave the pooch in it.....Nallo or Anjan in the GT versions would also work this way.

My dog likes to slip under the gap between the ground and the flye of the tipi I bought on here from Justin S. Other than that, it's much better than a floored tent. I think floorless with a nest combo would probably be best.

Dinger

WKR
Mine hangs around very close to camp but I thought an MSR screw peg and short leash would fix any night time excursions if it became an issue.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
I know you put the floorless disclaimer, but can I ask why? Coming from another guy in Utah who backpacks with a wife and 2 dogs and switched to a floorless shelter last year, I can't imagine a situation in Utah where I would rather have a floor than go floorless.

I don't want anything crawling in my sleeping bag at night. Also bugs in the summer.

colersu22

WKR
I have a Cimarron and plan on picking up a nest for the wife and dog to sleep in since she isn't a fan of no floor. I hope the nest will keep the hyper dog contained at night sleeping next to the wife.

Muttly

WKR
Have a Cimarron, and a Bear Paw Wilderness Design nest for it. It,s me, my wife, and our weapon of mass destruction known as Max the Dog when we head out. The canine unit is pretty well behaved most of the time.. Every once in a while, he spots a mud bog that he absolutely, positively, cannot resist...

Bath tub floor and no see um netting nest should keep most smaller critters out..

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second what jmez said... I'm planning on buying the Cloudburst 3 in the next few months for next years outings with the dog and the lady. I have no issue with floor less shelters or single wall shelters, and have mainly been using my Golite SL3 with a bathtub floor. My main complaint is the pole in the middle of the tent... and with three of us in there, it doesn't leave much room for gear. The Cloudburst perks: Dual entrances, dual vestibules, ventilation adjustability, you can add a liner for condensation issues in the wet/winter, third pole option for snow load if needed.... I can't see it being much more that 4 pounds with all those options added. And even lighter in the summer months.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Hilleberg Anjan or Nallo GT models if price is not a concern. Dog could sleep in the large vestibule.

rlmmarine

WKR
Check out a nallo 2 2gt tour wife and you can be Inside and the dog under the vestibule with room for your gear it's a win win

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I can say is do some backyard mock set ups with the dog first. Depending on breed and personality you have more work cut out for you than you want to do on your first trip with the dog.

boom

WKR
i'm gonna go for it too.

heading out for some pre-freeze trout fishing. hoping to catch the trout on a feeding frenzy.

taking out my brand new dog. tent? i'm just gonna go with my BROTHER's three man big agnes..all this time i thought it was the copper spur..but it isnt. dont know what it is. i'll trim the dogs nails..even tho they are not that long ever. i worry more about our air mattresses..and that dog loves to lick my face. but i'm betting on "HANK" liking my wife more. i'm not worried about the mess. i can also manage that. he stays pretty clean in general..unless i do something stupid like throw the ball into a mudpit.