4 man 4 season tent?

BRWNBR

WKR
I've been using s cabelas xpg 4 man tent for well over a decade and it's wore out now. Of course that tent is no longer made. I'm looking for a good base camp four man tent that isn't over 20lbs but can ride out the wind. What have you guys been using? Looking at the big Agnes flying diamond 4, checked some
Expedition tents but those are getting close
To a grand in cost.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
All three of My 180$ one man tents outperformed my $500 hilly tent hands down.
My 45 dollar cabelas pants have outlasted my first lite merino pants, no contest.
My 5 dollar poly liner gloves made my first lite merino liners look like tissue paper at four times the price.
My 400$ ruger from Walmart has outshot both of my custom rifles at 3-5 times the price.
My $25 hodgeman rainngear has made my leaky Sitka storm front and my helly Hansen impertec rain gear jealous and they are half the age!
But.....some gear is actually worth the price they ask. Like my swaro spotter.

Went with north face bastin 4.

Last edited:

Bld6159

FNG
I have a flying diamond 8 and love it. This is my first high end tent and researched alot of em for a few months. Even for a 8 person tent it only weights like 23lbs.
acd2f0f8bd6a7136bcc42d5b68b81214.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
All three of My 180$ one man tents outperformed my $500 hilly tent hands down.
My 45 dollar cabelas pants have outlasted my first lite merino pants, no contest.
My 5 dollar poly liner gloves made my first lite merino liners look like tissue paper at four times the price.
My 400$ ruger from Walmart has outshot both of my custom rifles at 3-5 times the price.
My $25 hodgeman rainngear has made my leaky Sitka storm front and my helly Hansen impertec rain gear jealous and they are half the age!
But.....some gear is actually worth the price they ask. Like my swaro spotter.

Went with north face bastin 4.

^ Ha, great post...though the tent thing surprises me.

Far be it for me to give an experienced guy like yourself advice....but oh well...this is the internet after all- grin.

The Tipi tents have been the best for me at shedding wind. I personally built one for my last Ak hunt and it was fantastic in verified [by our pilot] 50 mph winds in a pretty exposed location.
pictured, though IMO its too tall for most places in Alaska.
first lake.jpg

Otherwise, in Ak i've used the Cabelas 8 man [too high profile and it got wiped out] Cabelas 6 man [OK if you duct tape all pole crossings] and another cheap 4 man tent but with doubled up poles I robbed from another tent. The performance of the lower profile 4 man tents can be improved drastically by doubling up the poles . As you know, if the tent design has a large unsupported wall, when the strong wind caves in that side..THATS when you have a problem as it seems to gain traction once a concave starts.

So if you have a tent design without those large flat faces that grab the wind...plus adding poles....it makes for a pretty strong setup.

Rokwiia

WKR
You have to clarify what you mean by a four-person tent. Do you mean a tent will hold four men and their gear or a tent that is rated as four man? The latter is a tent will will hold two people and some gear. My Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 holds 4 people and all their gear.

With that said, the Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 6 is rated as a 6-person tent and is 26 lbs on sale for $575

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

They also make that same tent as a 4-man rated tent. 23 lbs and on sale for $500

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

My experience with cost of outdoor equipment may be different than others. I have always found that my pleasure in bad weather (rain, snow, cold) is directly proportional to the amount I spent. In my youth, I couldn't afford much and had to endure. Once I could afford nice clothing and equipment, I found saw the difference when friends who bought cheap stuff would suffer being uncomfortable. That's ok if you can bail out and hit a hotel. If you are inescapably in the backcountry and your gear MUST perform, I vote for buying the most expensive gear I can get my hands on.

To each their own.

Last edited:
I have a flying diamond 8 and love it. This is my first high end tent and researched alot of em for a few months. Even for a 8 person tent it only weights like 23lbs.
acd2f0f8bd6a7136bcc42d5b68b81214.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have this same tent. I have only used it for family car camping so far but it seems to be a great quality tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say I can have it all set up in 10 minutes or so. I picked it up one year from REI during their anniversary sale I think. 20% is a good bit off of $600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk