Ruta Locura 710 CF tipi pole

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I run an adjustable/corded 600 for my SilverTip. Sweet little pole. I ran it for 5 nights in Idaho right next to my 12" LO stove and didn't have a bit of problem despite getting pretty hot. Only issue I ever had with it was that the end cap popped out (and I lost it) when I was too stupid to put something solid between it and the mud. Emailed RL; they sent me a few new caps for the top and bottom, free of charge. Can't beat that. I superglued in both caps this time and have been rocking along ever since. I'll definitely be buying one of their poles for any future shelters.

OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I could run the 64" 600 and extend it up to 68" which should work fine. Im currently using the aluminum REI and have it at 66" with most setups, and thats with 6" stake loop extenders

OP
C

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Austin, what length is your pole in the silvertip? Im considering trying one and the 64" will range from 60" to 68" and could work in both the silvertip and cimarron.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
My pole is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'd emailed him a few months back with questions on size for the pyramid I had planned to make. He gave great info and encouraged me to make the tent first to ensure the right height pole in case seam allowances made the measurements different. Now that I've got the tent about finished, I sent the height and my pole is almost here. Can't wait to get it set up and it was great customer service. If the product is as good as the rest of my experience with Ruta Locura, I'll be happy for a long time.

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
I have a Ruta locura pole that I use in my Cimarron. I think it's the 600. It is/was a great pole but I will had a word of caution, it's probably not meant for more severe weather. Recently I was caught by surprise by a heavy snow in the night and the pole snapped. I can't blame the pole really as there was a lot of heavy snow. Just keep that in mind as you may want a metal pole for when weather can be nasty.

Also, on my pole, I really find the height adjuster thing to be finicky. I know it was designed to save weight but I've had a couple issues with it. First, it came unscrewed inside the pole and I couldn't get the insert out until I got home. Luckily I had trekking poles to use as a backup. Second, on the recent trip, everything got wet (before the snow) and I couldn't get the adjuster to "catch" inside the pole. Eventually I got it to work and now I cannot get it unstuck.

That said, I will still use my pole and recommend Ruta Locura highly. I contacted Josh (I think is his name) about the broken pole to see if it could just be repaired as it had snapped on one of the inserts and not the actual pole. He told me to send it in and he'd repair or replace it. Again, I don't think that Ruta Locura or the pole are to blame for the failure at all but he's still standing behind it. I'm actually planning on picking up an 810 pole for my Sawtooth I think too. Just shows what good products and service will earn a business.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Austin, what length is your pole in the silvertip? Im considering trying one and the 64" will range from 60" to 68" and could work in both the silvertip and cimarron.

I bought a 54" + 8" adjuster. It actually is 55" with the adjuster fully collapsed. I think they recommend 56" for a solid, non-adjustable pole for the SilverTip. I wanted a couple inches shorter in case I needed it for whatever reason, and then can do up to 6" above baseline if I run line locks or something.