Borah Bivy instead of Tyvek ground cloth?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone do this?

Reading through the recent condensation thread got me researching Borah Bivys. Wow, those things are light. 4.5oz for a Cuben UL bivy, that's near waterproof. I currently run a Tyvek ground cloth in my SilverTip, but I think my 4'x8' sheet is roughly 8oz and can be a PITA to keep my pad on, especially on sloped ground.

I might swap it out for one of these Borah Bivys because, short of price, I can't find any drawbacks to it.

Pros:
-Lighter
-More protection, especially from condensation (not that I've ever really had a problem with it)
-Mostly bug proof
-No sliding around on pad/quilt
-Extra insulation

Cons:
-It's $180 ($105 for regular UL version, which is still 6oz)
-It might get hot.

Am I missing something here? Price not withstanding, this seems like an easy decision.

ljalberta

WKR
I used a Borah ultralight bivy this year (the 6oz one). I ended up liking it, but it did take a number of nights to get used to sleeping in it, and some never enjoy the feeling of sleeping in a bivy. Very happy with mine though.

duchntr

WKR
I use the snowyside without a ground sheet, after a few sheep hunts camping on pretty rocky surfaces it gets occasional holes but have yet to pop my pad.

I've been running one for three years now. Still holding up, although it's showing some wear.
Pros:
I stay warmer, especially when it's windy
Pad doesn't take the wear and tear.
Keeps pad and quilt clean
Can be zipped up to keep bugs out
Can bivy out with a more minimal shelter
Everything stays together, including a makeshift pillow. No sliding off.

Cons:
Sometimes gets condensation in it. I'd like one with a strip of the bug netting all up the middle of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Ultralight for a little more than 1 year and it has been great. Zero complaints or regrets

HeadnWest

WKR
Anyone do this?

Reading through the recent condensation thread got me researching Borah Bivys. Wow, those things are light. 4.5oz for a Cuben UL bivy, that's near waterproof. I currently run a Tyvek ground cloth in my SilverTip, but I think my 4'x8' sheet is roughly 8oz and can be a PITA to keep my pad on, especially on sloped ground.

I might swap it out for one of these Borah Bivys because, short of price, I can't find any drawbacks to it.

Pros:
-Lighter
-More protection, especially from condensation (not that I've ever really had a problem with it)
-Mostly bug proof
-No sliding around on pad/quilt
-Extra insulation

Cons:
-It's $180 ($105 for regular UL version, which is still 6oz)
-It might get hot.

Am I missing something here? Price not withstanding, this seems like an easy decision.

Just a thought, do you really need a 4x8 ground cloth? I would cut that to 3x7 (might save ya an ounce) and add a few strips of silicon to it to keep your pad in place. Save your $100 -$180 for other gear. But that is just me though. Backcountry on a budget!

Stid2677

WKR
Is it hyperbole or do you really have a hard time keeping your pad on a 4'x8' sheet?

I use a bora bivy too and have for years. Not about keeping the pad on a ground sheet for me, but for keeping me on the pad. Keeps my bag dry and bug free too.

rbljack

WKR
I use a bora bivy too and have for years. Not about keeping the pad on a ground sheet for me, but for keeping me on the pad. Keeps my bag dry and bug free too.

This is the problem I encountered with the Tyvek/pad/ bag combo in the sawtooth. Everything kept sliding around, and I was on a slope, so it was like a slip and slide all night long...LOL Pad kept shifting under my bag.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Is it hyperbole or do you really have a hard time keeping your pad on a 4'x8' sheet?

It's not like I wake up outside the shelter in the morning or anything from having slid so much, but its very common to wake up having slid against the wall of the shelter or to the edge of the Tyvek where the pad is now sitting on the ground. It's quite annoying.

I run a Borah Bug Bivy simply and its a huge upgrade to Tyvek. It keeps the bottom of your pad protected but what I like most about it is that he keeps everything nice and tidy. I stuff my puffy in the top of it for a pillow and just sleep on top of it unzipped and open. Its perfect.

The only drawback compared to a "real" bivy is it doesn't do much in the way of condensation protection.

It's not like I wake up outside the shelter in the morning or anything from having slid so much, but its very common to wake up having slid against the wall of the shelter or to the edge of the Tyvek where the pad is now sitting on the ground. It's quite annoying.

One of the first times I sleep in my Borah I still had the tyvek ground cloth. I was on a slight pitch and woke up halfway out of my tarp. The bivy to tyvek is basically a friction-less wonder.

must just be me but when I used my Bora bivy or T I goat bivey my sleeping bag is always wet in the morning.Even when condensation has not built up in the shelter

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
must just be me but when I used my Bora bivy or T I goat bivey my sleeping bag is always wet in the morning.Even when condensation has not built up in the shelter

I was concerned with ^^this^^ as well. I just received mine and will be using it this weekend. I ordered the Bora side zip ultra weight in the Argon67 hoping that the side zip may help with getting some additional air in the bivy if I get hot. Earlier post mention getting a panel of the no-see-um material sewn up the middle on the top side of the bivy. I like that idea.

Yea i have used one to help keep my down bag dry and ended up my bag seems to be wetter from condensation

Stid2677

WKR
For the folks getting condensation in your bivy,, are you breathing into it??? Over dressing?? Too warm of a sleeping bag??? getting into it wet?? I have no issues with mine unless one of the above occurs. If you cover you head and breath into a bivy you will get condensation. Breathing generates huge amounts of water vapor.

For the folks getting condensation in your bivy,, are you breathing into it??? Over dressing?? Too warm of a sleeping bag??? getting into it wet?? I have no issues with mine unless one of the above occurs. If you cover you head and breath into a bivy you will get condensation. Breathing generates huge amounts of water vapor.

No to all those questions