Gloves for Handling Cylinder Stoves

ianpadron

WKR
Titanium stoves are sharp.

What gloves are you guys packing around that can pull double duty, usable during the hunt AND to wear during set-up and take-down of a cylinder stove?

Stickbow

FNG
I actually have a "tattoo" where a dirty stove pipe sliced me and embedded some soot in the cut... last time I messed with the stove without gloves needless to say.

I use knockoff mechanix gloves from harbor freight, they pull double duty as all around gloves, but do tend to soak up a ton of water if its wet out.

Im trying to figure out the best way to carry the stove pipe and ends while backpacking without crushing or denting anything, any recommendations?

Owenst7

WKR
Buy Palm-Coated Gloves - Free Shipping over $50 | Zoro.com

These were the gold standard in my roofing/sheet metal days. I still wear them regularly for hunting, fishing, mechanic work, carpentry, ATVs, etc. The nitrile palm is extremely puncture and cut resistant, and won't dissolve in gasoline. They are not textured though, so they can get slippery sometimes (fish slime is a good example). Sometimes I run a nitrile foam palm instead of dipped nitrile. The foam is not as durable though, and absorbs some moisture/oil/grease, but it tends to grip/breath/flex very similar to your own palm.

For more heavy duty work, the Atlas Fit (model 300) is very durable and has a textured grip that is really really good. That's the standard glove for commercial fisherman in Alaska. The Thermafit/451 is what I've always worn in the winter when I start getting cold hands.
Amazon.com: 12 Pack Atlas Glove 451 Atlas ThermaFit Gloves - Large: Office Products

fishslap

WKR
I ordered a pair of the outdoor research cold shot gloves. Even at 2xl they're a bit snug so I plan to break them in around the house and didn't take them on my last trip. Instead, I took a pair of basic elk leather gloves I had made at Rocky Mountain tannery. I also brought a pair of fingerless first lite gloves that would fit under them if I wanted.

Last edited:
The polyu or latex dipped dyneema or Kevlar gloves are my top choice. I can justify the weight of one pair on a trip. They protect hands from stove and pipe edges. I wear them when splitting or breaking wood. I always wear them when butchering a large animal. I do that mainly to protect from cuts, but also because I once received a very serious skin infection from a diseased animal. That happened through simple skin/blood contact. I buy them online and use them until they get dirty or funky...then toss into the trash.

Akicita

WKR
I keep a pair of $15 Mechanix shop gloves in my stove bag. I also use them for general duty around camp. You can buy them at nearly any auto parts store. They're cheap, offer good protection and dry fast over the stove.

Last edited:
I simply use a pair of leather gloves. They aren't double duty but I think they are essential to stove and firewood use. I can touch the hot stove with no issues to open/close door. I can roll up stovepipe with no issues and I can break wood by hand with out those tiny scrapes and scratches. Yup, essential pair of leather gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk