Best pad?

I ran the klymit static v this year. I liked it as the air volume in the "chambers" stays consistent as someone had mentioned. I side sleep and back sleep and it was comfortable on my side. Wish it was about 6" wider though. Hits me right in the armpits when i am on my back, so my arms hang off. It is pretty light and packs small. My goal was to get everything inside my pack this year (KUIU icon 5200) with nothing hanging off. My pad was the last thing keeping me from doing it.

Price was decent for it as well. For the money it is a pretty good option. Bought it directly from Klymit at the great outdoors show in PA when I was there for work.

Exped Downmat 9 LW is my all-time favorite pad for trips into colder climates. Thick, warm and super-comfortable. Placed on a cot in basecamp (think LuxuryLite or Helinox) it becomes the finest backcountry bed I've ever slept on period. I had baffles fail on my first Exped several years ago. Exped replaced it instantly and with zero hassles. My latest Downmat has performed perfectly.

I also like the XTherm for its weight, comfort and decent R value. I had one but sold it because the noise it generated (when turning or moving) was just far too excessive for my ears. It sounded something like a bag full of crackling cellophane.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from a BAIAC to the Nemo Tensor Field this season. Loved the pad, much more comfortable than the BA. I chose the field version for the added durability for not much weight penalty over the regular Tensor (2oz). Like mentioned the R value thing is not standardized in the industry for sleeping pads so rather meaningless and temp rating seems to align with the bags anyway. I paired my pad with the Nemo Argali 15* bag, which was also an upgrade this season from the BA Lost Ranger 15* bag. Whether it was the pad, the bag, or the combo; I was much warmer and comfortable in this set-up vs the BA set-up of equivalent temp rating.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge fan of the Big Agnes Q-Core SLX. Insulated, thick and comfy...hard to beat!

Got it in the long/wide version. I sleep better on it that on my mattress at home.

Good Luck!

Lawnboi

WKR
I sleep much more comfortably on an xlite than I ever did with my ba SL or whatever model I had. Though the r value was more on the BA, I found the xlite warmer, with less cold spots when moving. Also my body likes the horizontal baffles. If it's cold I supplement a closed cell foam pad, that way if my air pad fails, I won't go sleepless.

OP
justin davis
I sleep much more comfortably on an xlite than I ever did with my ba SL or whatever model I had. Though the r value was more on the BA, I found the xlite warmer, with less cold spots when moving. Also my body likes the horizontal baffles. If it's cold I supplement a closed cell foam pad, that way if my air pad fails, I won't go sleepless.

That's good to hear

I went with the Exped 3-D 7 LW this year, Absolutely loved it. I am a cold sleeper and it was perfect with my slick bag. The UL 9 LW might be my next purchase.

Rokwiia

WKR
Exped Downmat 9 LW for cold weather. It feels as though it generates heat like a furnace.

Just returned from an overnight backpack where it was in the high 20s. Used the Downmat and it generated/reflected heat all night. Fell asleep like a baby.

Last edited:

BigDog00

WKR
I have both an Exped and Xtherm and am a side sleeper....The exped has been a great mattress but the only downside I see is the baffles running length wise. I sometimes like to lay with my knees up (feet slid up towards my butt, if that makes sense) and my feet just want to slide down the pad. I don't have that problem with the Xtherm due to the baffles running width wise. Other than that both are great pads and probably equally comfortable.

Davebuech

WKR
EXPED UL products carry a 2 year limited warranty. All other products carry a 5 year warranty on defects in materials and workmanship. At our discretion, EXPED will repair or replace any part that fails due to a manufacturing defect. Failures due to normal wear, negligence, and acts of nature can usually be repaired for a nominal charge.

Our goal is to keep gear out of the landfill by doing repairs whenever possible. Should you need repair or warranty assistance with your EXPED gear we need to issue a return authorization number to you. Please contact our Customer Service Department for a return number and return shipping instructions with the following information:

What's the warranty like on the exped?

+1 for the UL9 /Winter LW. Little heavier than some but durable, comfortable and warm.

I put a hole in my exped synmat UL9 last trip out by missing a small stick that was pointing straight up like half an inch and it went through both my Tyvek and the pad. A little tenacious tape and I was back up and running.

Rokwiia

WKR
One of the reasons I like the Exped is because the baffles go lengthwise. In my experience, when they go sideways they tend to let me slide off the mat to either side. They is far less likely with baffles running lengthwise.

OBP

WKR
The exped warranty is great, I've used it three times now. I have one of the UL pads and one of the downmat pads, each of them has blown baffles on me on backpacking trips, the UL twice. They are a great company to deal with customer service wise, they've replaced each pad no questions asked, but I'm going to try the xtherm for a while. Trying to sleep on the exped with a blown baffle is nearly impossible, and really frustrating when your miles and miles in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
The exped warranty is great, I've used it three times now. I have one of the UL pads and one of the downmat pads, each of them has blown baffles on me on backpacking trips, the UL twice. They are a great company to deal with customer service wise, they've replaced each pad no questions asked, but I'm going to try the xtherm for a while. Trying to sleep on the exped with a blown baffle is nearly impossible, and really frustrating when your miles and miles in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since that's a manufacturing defect and not wear and tear, I'd be pretty pissed if they didn't warranty that.

That issue is precisely why I'm not interested in Exped. I've seen dozens of reviews, especially on BPL talking about that. There's no way I'd feel safe relying on that. At least there's a chance I could repair a hole or valve leak in the field.

I bet they're having the same contaminated joint issue that drop stitch paddle boards have. I had one of those blow up on me a month ago because of that. The polyester fibers got in the joint during assembly and the bond is compromised.

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
Exped Downmat 9 LW is my all-time favorite pad for trips into colder climates. Thick, warm and super-comfortable. Placed on a cot in basecamp (think LuxuryLite or Helinox) it becomes the finest backcountry bed I've ever slept on period. I had baffles fail on my first Exped several years ago. Exped replaced it instantly and with zero hassles. My latest Downmat has performed perfectly.

I also like the XTherm for its weight, comfort and decent R value. I had one but sold it because the noise it generated (when turning or moving) was just far too excessive for my ears. It sounded something like a bag full of crackling cellophane.

It looks like they changed the names of their pads this year. I thought Xtherm a few times, but don't think I can deal with the crackle...LOL..the Exped mats look nice. And for me at this point...a good night sleep is about as important as it gets. I will sacrifice some ounces here to get a warm, comfortable mat for a side sleeper when the weather gets cold.

It looks like they changed the names of their pads this year. I thought Xtherm a few times, but don't think I can deal with the crackle...LOL..the Exped mats look nice. And for me at this point...a good night sleep is about as important as it gets. I will sacrifice some ounces here to get a warm, comfortable mat for a side sleeper when the weather gets cold.

I think the Neoair XTherm pads are great in terms of overall comfort and perhaps quality. I can't really speak to long term quality because I sold mine after just one hunt. The noise factor was too much for me, being a light sleeper. Every time I moved or turned I think it sounded like someone opening a bag of pork rinds. I imagined I was calling in bears all night......

Side by side comparison I think...for my eval...the Exped mats look to be better made and of higher quality materials. Fabric surface is superb, and I personally love the goose down beneath me in cold weather. When my old Exped pad blew a baffle I contacted Exped and all they asked for was 2 pictures: 1 of the blown baffle area and 1 of the label. I emailed those and they immediately sent me a new pad. No return necessary. The pad they sent me has performed perfectly and is the pad I'm using today.

I've always said that 1/3 of every hunt is spent using your sleeping bag (or quilt), pad and maybe a cot. The quality of these items can and will have an impact on how well you rest and perform each day. I've got more money wrapped up in my total bedroll than in my Sawtooth shelter. I would rather have an $800 bed and $400 pack than vice-versa.