Best pad?

I have a big Agnes insulated air core. I use if for my camping. It's been awhile since I looked at pass so I'm wondering if there is something better out there pad wise or should I stick with what I got?

I started out with the BAIAC pad and upgraded to the Xtherm. Much warmer for me. If I remember right it's also lighter weight. Haven't regretted the change one bit and would buy another one if this one took a crap.

EastMT

WKR
I like the thermarest pro lite. I've not had much luck with the ultralight inflatables. I still have one of the first thermarests made, heavy as heck, but still holding air

I have a wide insulated double z and love it. I had to replace it under warranty once though.

Trial153

WKR
nemo tensor here ...good pad. like it as much or more then my x therm

bbrown

WKR
The long-wide Xtherm is a great pad and pretty damn comfy. No way I could go back to the typical 20" pad (or 18" in the Big Agnes world...).

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I ran the large Sea-to-summit insulated ultralight this year. It's a keeper bro

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I've been using a Klymit Static V this year after Costco had them for $30. I like the shape of the baffles. When you move on them, they don't "pump" like a lot of pads do, where they flatten under your weight, but inflate next to you...kind of pushing you off the pad. It's noticeable enough that they're kind of a pain to deflate compared to pads with less baffling. That said, I've found the pad to be really comfortable. I'm usually a side sleeper BTW.

I'm going to run it into the winter and see where I start getting cold due to the low R value, and use that to help me pick out a winter pad. In the past, I've always used heavy R5+ self-inflating pads, so I don't have much to go off of. If I stay happy with the Klymit, I may just order the Insulated Static V Lite from them off eBay in the refurb section. I've also got my eyes out for an Xtherm on sale. From the reviews I've read on several forums, I'm not comfortable with risking warranty hassles on an expensive pad with Exped (failed baffles) or Big Agnes (failed valves). It sounds like Klymit has a somewhat common issue with the valves, but it sounds like they are doing a good job of making things right with the customer, and after watching their video on repairs, I'm comfortable using the superglue I carry in my FAK to do the repair in the field.

The Nemo pads look interesting, but I'm not interested in paying that much money to support a company that won't publish an R value for their pads. Claiming only a temperature range is moving backwards about 10 years in the industry, and totally bunk in my opinion. I grew up in Alaska and have slept on the ground at -10 with no sleeping bag and an original Thermarest and got some sleep. There's no way that my comfort rating then is remotely close to a person that lives in the lower 48, or even close to my comfort level now that I've lived in N. NV for the last ten years.

colersu22

WKR
EXPED UL 9 LW for this big guy. I'm older and need more padding now.

I just picked one up a couple months ago and love it. I sleep on my side or stomach and I can't feel the ground when I'm on my side like I can with my klymit static v insulated pad. The exped feels a ton warmer than the klymit too. Don't know your size but I am 5'9" 235

TheCougar

WKR
I have two of the BAAC. I upgraded to an xtherm because they are wider in the shoulders and that was my biggest complaint with the BAAC. It's not as durable and it's noisy, but it is wider, lighter, and warmer. It's also about 2-3x. Ore expensive.

The long-wide Xtherm is a great pad and pretty damn comfy. No way I could go back to the typical 20" pad (or 18" in the Big Agnes world...).

I went with the long/wide neoair with the speed valve. Super comfortable. I am getting old, comfort is important.

OP
justin davis
I have two of the BAAC. I upgraded to an xtherm because they are wider in the shoulders and that was my biggest complaint with the BAAC. It's not as durable and it's noisy, but it is wider, lighter, and warmer. It's also about 2-3x. Ore expensive.

Sounds good other than not as durable? Is the durability an issue?

The Nemo pads look interesting, but I'm not interested in paying that much money to support a company that won't publish an R value for their pads. Claiming only a temperature range is moving backwards about 10 years in the industry, and totally bunk in my opinion. I grew up in Alaska and have slept on the ground at -10 with no sleeping bag and an original Thermarest and got some sleep. There's no way that my comfort rating then is remotely close to a person that lives in the lower 48, or even close to my comfort level now that I've lived in N. NV for the last ten years.

I see both your and their points... The reason a lot of people like R-value is that we feel it's more quantifiable and scientific than a temperature rating. The sleeping bag industry has now agreed on a standard for testing and rating bags, which is great and was a major step in the right direction. The sleeping pad industry has tried to do the same with R-values; but it isn't as simple as that because of one simple fact: inflation level will effect r-value and it will effect it by a different amount based in insulation design. For instance, the BA Q-Core and Exped Synmat insulation fills the entire chamber vs the thermarest x-therm which uses accordion style mylar vs the Nemo which uses a layer of insulation on the surface.

I agree there needs to be some sort of measurable and quantifiable standard agreed upon, but it's a little harder for sleeping pads since we all like different firmness.

Sounds good other than not as durable? Is the durability an issue?

Second this question as the Big Agnes Air Core and Q-Core have a lot more complaints regarding chamber blowouts. I have heard the noisiness will subside with time as the mylar gets worn, but I don't have any experience. My other concern with that pad is the thickness not being sufficient for a side sleeper like myself.

Pretty sure Aron uses this pad, so I don't think durability is much of an issue as we all know how he abuses gear.