Guy Outs, Stakes, and Cordage for a DST Tarp

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked one up and am curious as to what guys with the DST ALWAYS carry with them?

5-6 stakes seems appropriate to me (MSR Groundhog Mini)...
At least 12 feet of loose cordage...
5-6 Lineloc 3s to complement each staked out point...
Enough cordage to provide at least 12" of ground clearance at each staked out point (considering I will use it in the flying diamond almost exclusively)

What am I missing?

colersu22

WKR
I carried 8 stakes, (4) 3' and (4) 6' pieces of line and feel I can pitch the DST in any configuration. I like having the longer lines for when you cant get a stake in the ground where you "need" one. I don't use line loc's just tie a slip knot to adjust length of line.

gabenzeke

WKR
How high up are you typically pitching the flying diamond if you have a fire going? I want heat, but not holes in the shelter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
D

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Cimarron and plan on it being my main shelter for most hunts. I usually backpack in and set it up with the stove. The plan is to use the DST to bivy out from there, as an emergency shelter, as a glassing shelter, and sometimes as protection over the entrance to the Cimarron. Those are the main uses for the DST.

Also I will likely use the DST as my main shelter in warmer months in conjunction with my Borah Gear bivy.

I doubt I will have an open fire for warmth while using the DST, but if I did need to in an emergency I think a single cord that is 10' long plus a single cord 6' long will do. I would have at least 5 stakes and then at the 4 tie downs that I would use I'd have lineloc 3s with 2' of cord attached.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Little late to this thread. But I ALWAYS carry 4 groundhog stakes and a 10'x2mm line that is always in it's stuff sack. Then I add depending on the conditions. I just came out of the Idaho backcountry and added a 5th stake for this particular trip. I'm glad I did because I had to batten down the low corner that was taking the brunt of the sustained 20 knot winds we encountered.

View attachment 59688