Anjan 2 vs Niak

lintond

WKR
I'm looking ahead at mixing up my shelter for 2018 archery season.
- These would be solo shelters. Possibly 2 in a pinch.
- I'm a bigger guy at 6'1"
- Typically I'm not hunting above tree line.
- Historically I've used a megatarp which I like but condensation is the Achilles hill.
- Probably going on a spring bear hunt (snow possible) this spring also.
- What do you get for the extra $150 for the Niak?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also in the same debate for a lightweight 3.5-4 season shelter, that has outer coverage to the ground, crosspoles (snowloading) ,ventilation, and a vestible. Been debating the unna vs the niak - I'm holding off, thinking something new may come out. I'm with you on not getting the price gap on the niak.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Bringing this back around. Any thoughts from the Rokslide faithful?

If you like the megatarp and it works for you (minus the condensation) then I'd add line locs and extensions all around the bottom and raise it up 3"-6" when pitching. Makes a world of difference with the extra air flow and saves you changing set ups.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Of the smaller Hille's I've had an Unna, Enan, and Niak. I do hunt above treeline somewhat frequently, so the flexibility of a free stander is nice. I'm 6'2" so I need some length. For me the Niak is the best compromise of weight, strength, and space. I could do with less, but I do use it as a two person shelter as well. The Unna was just too much of a tweener to me for the weight:feature ratio. I have an Allak that I've used a TON, and if I need more than the Niak in general burliness I just bring it.

As for what you get with the Niak over the Anjan 2; the Hilleberg tunnels feel functionally shorter to me due to the angle at the foot. So even though the length spec on the Anjan and Niak are the same, the domes and tunnels don't feel the same in practice. I have not used the Anjan, but have used a couple of iterations of the Nallo.

For the uses of the OP, unless you're going to use it hard for a lot of BP trips on all seasons, I'd work with your megatarp. I've done tipi's in the snow plenty, they work fine. If you want to check out a Hilleberg and enjoy it just 'cause, they are certainly excellent.

Last edited:
OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
If you like the megatarp and it works for you (minus the condensation) then I'd add line locs and extensions all around the bottom and raise it up 3"-6" when pitching. Makes a world of difference with the extra air flow and saves you changing set ups.

I have my tarp setup this way and still seem to have condensation issues at times. I’m certainly not abandoning the tarp just am considering something different to try and see how I like it.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Of the smaller Hille's I've had an Unna, Enan, and Niak. I do hunt above treeline somewhat frequently, so the flexibility of a free stander is nice. I'm 6'2" so I need some length. For me the Niak is the best compromise of weight, strength, and space. I could do with less, but I do use it as a two person shelter as well. The Unna was just too much of a tweener to me for the weight:feature ratio. I have an Allak that I've used a TON, and if I need more than the Niak in general burliness I just bring it.

As for what you get with the Niak over the Anjan 2; the Hilleberg tunnels feel functionally shorter to me due to the angle at the foot. So even though the length spec on the Anjan and Niak are the same, the domes and tunnels don't feel the same in practice. I have not used the Anjan, but have used a couple of iterations of the Nallo.

For the uses of the OP, unless you're going to use it hard for a lot of BP trips on all seasons, I'd work with your megatarp. I've done tipi's in the snow plenty, they work fine. If you want to check out a Hilleberg and enjoy it just 'cause, they are certainly excellent.

Snowy, can you elaborate on the state, climate, weather, time of year that you use the Niak? I am in same boat as OP in trying to pick the best Hille for my needs. I hunt above tree line in Colorado in September and also plan to backpack in the summers. Do you use the mesh or solid inner on the Niak? Any issues with ventilation/condensation? Thanks!

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I bought it in April 2017. I'll try to remember the specifics the best I can...All uses were in WY. I use the standard inner, and have had no issues with condensation over the conditions I've used it in. The catenary cut on the fly that brings up the edges a little makes a huge difference on ventilation with the yellow label tents. It's at the cost of spindrift potentially getting up under there in windy conditions. It is a compromise I'm willing to make because if I expect really heavy weather I can take an Allak. The bathtub floor comes up high enough that it's less of a concern in terms of the tent body itself and more meaningful for whatever you have in the vestibule.

Niak use thus far, temps are very approximate of course:
-May 2017: backpack bear hunt, camped on a ridge top @ 7,500'. Highs maybe 50's, low maybe 30, no precip. Two adults.
-July 2017: 2 backpack trips with my kids, Jed Smith wilderness. 8,000'-9,000'. Highs 70's, lows 40's, one thundershower. One adult one kid.
-August 2017: solo backpack trip, left the inner tent behind. Clear and warm. 9,500' or so.
-September 2017: solo backpack hunt. 10,000'. Rain, slush, and wind for two days, then heavy wind (30-35 mph was forecasted, probably around that) clear/cold for two days. Pitches taught, shed wind well. Will draft more than a 4 season Hille due to the cut of the fly. Not a problem, just a compromise to be aware of.
-October 2017: backpack hunt with another adult. 9,000'. Mixed cloud cover, maybe 50's highs and 20's lows. Pretty windy, no precip.

Niak nook
38745705611_14f7636ffe_b.jpg

For my uses it's the best all-arounder that Hilleberg makes because:
-It's sturdy enough to handle heavy wind and moderate snow. Solidly 3.5 season in my view thus far.
-The modularity of the inner/outer makes it pretty light without the inner tent.
-I'm 6'2" and it's still plenty big enough for two. Palatial no, but sufficient yes.
-It is palatial solo, and I can hang longer on solo backpack hunts with extra interior space.
-I do wish it was as long as the Unna and Allak, but you can't have it all. If the RH was high, with two adults using long bags there will be some condensation at the foot. This is not a design issue per se, it's just a reality.

Time will tell as I use it more of course.

Last edited:

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Snowy,

Thanks for all of the good information. This has been super helpful!

Just ordered a 2016 anjan 2 from hilleberg outlet :-D excited to put it though its paces

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I just got my Anjan 2 yesterday, going to set it up in the yard today, super excited.

For those that have this tent, do you use the provided sack when packing it in your bag? The packed size is rather large and I was curious if any of you were packing it differently to more efficiently use the space in your pack.

Thanks

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I just got my Anjan 2 yesterday, going to set it up in the yard today, super excited.

For those that have this tent, do you use the provided sack when packing it in your bag? The packed size is rather large and I was curious if any of you were packing it differently to more efficiently use the space in your pack.

Thanks

I’ve done it both with and without. Normally I compressed the tent in a roll top and carried the poles in a side pocket of my backpack.