Kifaru Slick Bag

ks.snow

FNG
Hey There,

Been looking at getting a Kifaru Slick Bag Lately. I hunt high country and timber in southern Alberta for Mule Deer and Elk. Sleep in a MSR Hubba Hubba NX or the Back of my SUV. Usually am out anywhere between first of sept to the end of nov so temp ranges get as low as -15C to -20C. Wanted to hear peoples opinions on whether the bags are true to their temp rating. I was looking into getting the regular 0F bag. I'm 6'0 and 175 lbs. Could also have the option of adding a wobble in the bag to keep me warm if I find the bag too cold. If not might also look into a western mountaineering bag. Appreciate everyones input.

Thanks,

Kyle

FlyGuy

WKR
I used my 20F bag in WY for the 1st time earlier this month. I sleep very cold, so I brought along a woobie too. We ended up getting 3" of snow and it was 22F on two mornings, but I never took the woobie out of its stuff sack. I did sleep with my timberline pants, merino base layer top and traverse or core shirt, but that's mostly for me to set them out, save some time in the morning and not have as much trouble getting out of bed to put on cold clothes. I did not feel like i needed to wear those items to stay warm inside the bag.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I had a slick bag 20 deg.I never had a comfortable night in that thing,Now I have a Western Mountaineering Badger.I've never had an uncomfortable night in it

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I heard that the old bags were not true to their temperature rating, but the new bags are. Just dont want to spend a lot on a bag thats not going to be as warm as it says it is.

oldgoat

WKR
I feel they are pretty true, woobie even draped over like a quilt is good option. I crawled into mine soaking wet with all my clothes and boots on last Saturday night and slept pretty good, clothes were dry and boots about half dry in the morning, it really does maintain its warmth wet. Temps were right around freezing. I'm 5'11" and200# and regular width and length is fine, seemed kind of small first time I ever crawled until but I've never gotten constrained feeling in it, I did just agree to a deal on the classifieds for a wide model though, good price so I thought I'd give it a try

AXEL

WKR
I have had many bags since my first in 1965, currently own/use a PL Exped Wallcreeper, Wildthings PL halfbag, original ID Northtwin/Andromeda OB, original custom ID Himalayan and bought a WM Terralite and Sequoia, this past summer. I have had Valandre, original Marmot Mountain custom GT-down bag, Fairydown, another WM, a FF and several more.

Spent months alone in the bush around Jasper and in the country NE of Slave Lake and mucho time in BC. My feeling is that a WM down bag is better than any synthetic for your conditions. I seldom use the superb ID bag even in November and would suggest a WM bag rated to about -10*F for your uses.

I have used WPB shells, but, now tend to go with the newer shells with which I sometimes use a WPB bivy cover depending on ambient conditions. I now only use my synthetic bags for a few specific situations and find a top end down bag to be the best overall choice.

FlyGuy

WKR
I heard that the old bags were not true to their temperature rating, but the new bags are. Just dont want to spend a lot on a bag thats not going to be as warm as it says it is.
Heard that too. Mine I the new bag, regular wide. I'm 5'11" and 185lbs. Plenty roomy.

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Hey FlyGuy,

What I'm really considering now is that exact setup. 20 degree bag with the woobie. Using the woobie for both keeping me warmer at night and while glassing. saves me getting a warmer down jacket than the one i currently. have. Although I feel like I sleep slightly on the cold side. What would you be comfortable going down to in that set up?

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I have had many bags since my first in 1965, currently own/use a PL Exped Wallcreeper, Wildthings PL halfbag, original ID Northtwin/Andromeda OB, original custom ID Himalayan and bought a WM Terralite and Sequoia, this past summer. I have had Valandre, original Marmot Mountain custom GT-down bag, Fairydown, another WM, a FF and several more.

Spent months alone in the bush around Jasper and in the country NE of Slave Lake and mucho time in BC. My feeling is that a WM down bag is better than any synthetic for your conditions. I seldom use the superb ID bag even in November and would suggest a WM bag rated to about -10*F for your uses.

I have used WPB shells, but, now tend to go with the newer shells with which I sometimes use a WPB bivy cover depending on ambient conditions. I now only use my synthetic bags for a few specific situations and find a top end down bag to be the best overall choice.

I have been considering a WM lynx MF bag. Just would cost me $300 more than the kifaru set up and I feel like the slick bag is a lot more versatile.

AXEL

WKR
My experience with synthetic bags, even one of the special models by WIGGY, no less, which was largely a result of Patrick Smith, allowing Wiggy to tout his bags on the site Patrick paid for, has been that they never seem to actually BE as "warm" as they claim.

I had a bag by Paul Petzoldt Wilderness Equipment some 40 years ago and I slept "warm" then in my late 20s, early 30s and it was no better than the much lighter down bags I had at the time.

I did a LOT of solo winter camping, often -20 at night and finally had Marmot Mountain Works of Grand Junction, make me a GT-down bag that was 4 lbs+ and I was never cold down to extreme temps. So, IME, the down bags are more versatile and I would just use that bag in an Early Winters GT bivy, laying on it, in warmer temps.

I was not and am not "rich" and live a simple lifestyle, but, for me, cost is the LEAST important of the issues where gear is concerned and I have not found any bags superior to WM, but, a very few as good, Valandre, is one.

I need a broad bag, Neanderthal physique and nerve damage, so, must change positions a lot all night. I am very high on the Sequoia, and also bought the Extender for both my latest bags (and LAST ONES). So, I would pay the $300 and just groan a bit! ;)

I run a 20 Slick bag and Wobbie, both the new generation. I am a very cold sleeper. I was in Idaho 2 weeks ago and the temps were upper 20s at night with some snow. I never had to use my Wobbie. I slept in my Sitka pants and shirt. I was really impressed with the temp rating. The Slick bag was much warmer than all the Big Agnes 15 deg bags that I use to use. I am very happy with my Slick bag.

FlyGuy

WKR
Hey FlyGuy,

What I'm really considering now is that exact setup. 20 degree bag with the woobie. Using the woobie for both keeping me warmer at night and while glassing. saves me getting a warmer down jacket than the one i currently. have. Although I feel like I sleep slightly on the cold side. What would you be comfortable going down to in that set up?

I'm probably not the best one to answer this as I haven't taken it down below Low 20's. If I knew for certain that I would be camping with temps approaching 0F each night, then I would probably bring a 0F rated Slick Bag. But, if the forecast was for night time temps in the teens, and I thought there was a chance of single digit temps, then I would be comfortable with this set up. Again, that is not based on experience, just opinion. I've never camped in temps that low.

I really like this combo. The woobie gets a lot of use, even around the house! I'll be using it (a little) tonight while camping in SHNF, low of 70F.

The woobie is great, but I'm not sure it's enough to turn a 20 degree into a -20 degree. Aron himself would probably be the right one to ask about that. When the slick bag was redesigned into the center zip the bags became much more true to temperature as Aron actually tested them himself at those temperatures and he gets cold easily, so it depends on how cold of a sleeper you are, but they are at least true to temp.

The other comment I would add about the woobie slick bag combo... The Slick Bag lives up to it's name and the Woobie is made of similar material, so if you try just drooping it over top of you it will slide off in no time. I would suggest either adding it on the inside or running some paracord through the loops on the woobie to tighten it down around you.

The woobie is great, but I'm not sure it's enough to turn a 20 degree into a -20 degree. Aron himself would probably be the right one to ask about that. When the slick bag was redesigned into the center zip the bags became much more true to temperature as Aron actually tested them himself at those temperatures and he gets cold easily, so it depends on how cold of a sleeper you are, but they are at least true to temp.

The other comment I would add about the woobie slick bag combo... The Slick Bag lives up to it's name and the Woobie is made of similar material, so if you try just drooping it over top of you it will slide off in no time. I would suggest either adding it on the inside or running some paracord through the loops on the woobie to tighten it down around you.

What he said !!!

Ended up pulling the trigger on a 0 degree slick bag and a wobbie!

You will like it, it's a great bag. Which size did you end up going with? I am a very big guy and I'm very glad they make a long/wide as no one else makes a sleeping bag big enough for me. It's nice to have the extra room to not feel so constricted all night.

AXEL

WKR
How true, most makers seem to think that everyone has a 42" chest, max and can lay supine for 8 hours w/o moving all night. So, finding bags that are REALLY comfortable for your actual size and sleeping style is difficult.

This, is one reason why I currently consider WM the best bags for North American hunters as they offer a range of models which include bags to fit about every body type. Their Cypress, is THE bag for larger guys in real cold and is identical to my 2003 vintage custom ID bag, even to colour.

Cost, bah, try a week of nights at negative 20 and see how you worry about the $$$$ spent on your bag.....just cut out beer and nights out for a few months and the funds will be there, IME.

Hope the Slick works for ya, bud, can get cold in Alberta!

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
You will like it, it's a great bag. Which size did you end up going with? I am a very big guy and I'm very glad they make a long/wide as no one else makes a sleeping bag big enough for me. It's nice to have the extra room to not feel so constricted all night.

Ended up going with the regular length and width. I have a 20 degree north face sythetic bag now that I left compressed for too long not knowing the consiquences that I will be using the woobie with in early season. It still has held its warmth fairly well, but I want to use the woobie for glassing and just incase temps drop while I have that bag. Shouldnt need it with the 0F bag I hope.

FlyGuy

WKR

For clarification, I think the 20F slick bag + woobie would equal 0F (or close to it, 5'ish), but NOT saying a woobie would make it a -20F bag...

however, the doobie might? I've never tried it but I think it's 2x the insulation as the woobie... maybe get you down to the -10 to -15 range?