Hammock questions

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I went with an exped syn 7 and a hennesy hammock set up. Tested it only one night with a cheap bag that claims 20 degrees but I doubt it. Anyways, went under freezing and I stayed very warm.

There's a book called THE PERFECT HANG which I recommend to anyone serious about spending any real time hammock camping...especially in deep backcountry. Most guys spend a night or two in their hammock, listen to those who spent a month or two in theirs for real insight.

I've never camped in a hammock, but I have a question/idea. What if you took a big mummy bag and cut/sewed a small pass through top and bottom and you hang your hammock inside the mummy bag?

twall13

WKR
I've never camped in a hammock, but I have a question/idea. What if you took a big mummy bag and cut/sewed a small pass through top and bottom and you hang your hammock inside the mummy bag?
It's called a peapod and can work in moderate temps. In really cold weather you don't want the gaps it creates between you and the insulation. It won't seal as well next to you above or below the hammock. It's not ideal but if you have a mummy bag you don't mind ripping in to it can get you started.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's called a peapod and can work in moderate temps. In really cold weather you don't want the gaps it creates between you and the insulation. It won't seal as well next to you above or below the hammock. It's not ideal but if you have a mummy bag you don't mind ripping in to it can get you started.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Makes sense...I've never done much research on it, was just thinking out loud lol

twall13

WKR
Ya, there are guys who use hammocks in negative 20-30* temps and they will often stack underquilts and tops quilts and then put a peapod over all their quilts as an extra layer of protection from the cold. Not ideal for most of us but I know exactly where you are coming from. I had the same thought when I first started into hammock camping. A little bit of research later and I found most any idea I could come up with had already been tried many times over, this one included.

While quilts are better for backpacking, if I'm in frozen environments I pack a Wiggys Freedom bag (centerline zipper, it's easier to slide into) and throw a TQ on top, then zip up my weather shield. But it's gotta be extremely cold for such measures.

The mat seems limited compared to a UQ which can be vented several ways for a variety of temps. Plus if this mattress develops a leak, your entire trip is pooched and it weighs 36ozs. I'm keeping my EE quilts.

Last edited: