Hammock questions

amp713

WKR
Ok so I use a grand trunk double all the time outside of hunting but I've been thinking of hunting with a hammock next year.

I run an Easton kilo 2p, decent sleeping bag and a zlite pad currently but it takes up a chunk of room... Weight isn't a huge issue, but mobility bugs me. I don't like the time required to break down and move camp and usually end up getting lazy and doing more of a spike camp set up.

With the wife and 2 young boys and horses I plan go with a spring bar tent (kodiak) for times when they are coming with. However my wife is pretty awesome and gives me opening weekend to do me and go alone...

Biggest question I'm having is under quilt vs just going to a heavier duty colder sleeping bag . Wondering if anyone has any luck with a lower temp bag and hammock only? When I use my hammock normally I run my zlite pad under me, my normal sleeping bag and seem ok but I also use it when it's warmer out.

Was thinking possibly 0 degree kifaru slick bag and my hammock and a small tarp only for my mid August hunts.

twall13

WKR
I'd still use a pad in the sleeping bag even if you get a warmer bag. I have noticed a warm bag makes some difference but you are still compressing most of the insulation and your back will get cold in lower temps. Even in August, at higher elevations I've seen temps in the 30's at night.

Once you use an underquilt you won't go back but if you don't want to spend the money a pad will work and it sounds like you have at least some experience using a pad in a hammock. I always get too sweaty and build up condensation with a pad but not everyone feels that way. Either way, a hunting trip isn't the place I want to test a new setup like that. Work out all the kinks before you really need to rely on that system.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love hammocks, I sleep great in them but gave up in my mountains during hunting season. My insulation compresses too much in just the bag (20 and 15 degree bags) and I get cold, especially with such variable weather. It is 60 one night and 30 the next. The pad works well for insulation, but I figured by the time I add it all to stay warm in the hammock, I was better off saving weight and sleeping on the ground and ditching the extra few lbs of the hammock.

They are nice early season and low elevations though. I tend to be an ounce counter (light but not ultra-light), and sleeping on the ground seemed the lightest way to go. I do still use it in bug infested areas and the desert. I have one spot where every bug known to man lives in the pine duff, a hammock is pretty nice there. No ants, scorpians and spiders crawling on you or getting in your bedding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I bought a hammock from the bearded hanger in Florida, it has a "Sleeve" where you can slide the pad in between the two bottom layers and get it situated and when you get in it doesn't move. I have also made a DIY underquilt from a woobie, I think I am going to buy a piece of climashield for it as well.
diy uderquilt woobie - YouTube

I just started using a hammock regularly on my outings here in SW Colorado. So far I've only used a 0* bag with it. No pad or underquilt. I sleep in my layers and haven't had any problems. Two weeks ago I used it on an overnight trip for work, temps dropped to the high thirties. Woke up to frost, but I was comfortable. I've looked at underquilts, but haven't made any decisions yet.

Deepshax

WKR
check out the hammock gear econ underquilts. they are slightly heavier than the regular line...think i paid $150 for a 20* full length UQ.

Get the underquilt . Everything else is just not as pleasant. Being cold in the backcountry sucks, and more importantly it is dangerous.

That said, I use my hammock until it gets below 20s at night. After that I switch to my sawtooth with a stove.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Well turns out I didn't truly know what an under quilt was, I thought I did but I was wrong... Not sure what I think of a real under quilt just yet however I'm having a thought. Thinking of building a second hammock solely for hiking/hunting. Going to throw out some brands as ideas but it's just to help my example not as what I'll use exactly.

Grand truck makes a nano hammock, super light weight, buy 2 of said hammock, buy a klymit static v air up pad. Stick the pad between the 2 hammocks and sew the side and bottom together. Leave the top open enough to air up the pad and slide it in and out for cleaning or whatever. Now with those example brands you come in at exactly 2 pounds with out any trimming.

You could trim the hooks off the one hammock to save some weight or keep them and that way if one were too rip you could flip it over and still be useable.

This gives you a small layer, pad and another layer and with the sleeve left you could even lay a small blanket inside under the air pad for a little extra insulation. I have some light, smaller fleece blankets I got from my grandparents that would work great for this.

So 2 pounds and 200 bucks later without bargain shopping or trimming...

For an extra 5 ounces you could save 40 bucks per hammock and buy the regular lightweight grand trunk from amazon and if you watch sales you can pick a klymit up cheap as well.

3 pounds for under 100 and you could maybe trim it down to almost 2 pounds and maybe cheaper with some restraint.

Whole reason I'm laying this out for all to see (or patent just send me one to use when you are making them haha) is to see if anyone has already given this a shot with any success.

twall13

WKR
For me, the reason I go with a hammock is for the comfort. The nano is a 9ft. Hammock and would not be comfortable at all for me to spend the night in. I need an 11' Hammock. There are enough truly tested Hammock designs out there that I don't think you need to go reinventing the wheel. I don't like the feel of a pad in a hammock, they change the lay, move around, and make me sweat. Some people are fine with them and if you fall into that category the klymit pad may be the best option out there. If you do try it, I recommend a longer Hammock. In the end, do whatever works best for you and your budget.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I run the double grand trunk and don't know the length and haven't tried an air up mattress but my zlite has never bugged me.

Guess I could just sew my double to itself to make a single with the sleeve for the pad. I may just try to catch a klymit or similar and see how I like it in my hammock before I get too out of hand.

When temps really drop and I'm bivy hunting, I always go to a hammock...much lighter than a tent/stove rig and stoves are a big PITA to keep going all night. During a week-long winter bison hunt in Utah it stopped snowing for precisely 2 hours. Big wind, hardly any visibility...one tough hunt. I camped in a different spot every night. With practice I can pitch my hammock and tarp in under ten minutes.

Underquilts are where it's at. Being outside the hammock prevents it from becoming compressed so it performs like it should and keeps you toasty. That inflatable mat for hammocks might look great but once it has a hole or failed seal/valve...you're freezing. A UQ cannot fail you. Here's 3 pieces of advice I have for you.

1. Get a great tarp...my Mega Ogee has doors and is big. I can configure it for any weather conditions and even use it on the ground like a tent.
2. Over-insulate. If you're too warm you can remove clothes and pull a top quilt down or off and vent but you cannot make your set-up warmer so be sure your top and bottom quilts are up to the temp ratings you'll see. When in doubt, better to be too warm than too cold. You cannot sleep cold.
3. Use Whoopie slings. Being able to adjust the angle of your dangle to the finest degree instantly is a must, especially when it's freezing outside.

View attachment 58883
View attachment 58884
View attachment 58885

It's much easier to stay warm in the confined space of a hammock than inside a tent. Your body alone can keep a hammock toasty if you do it right. You need a true 4 season hammock though. Mine is a Clark NX-250.

[video=youtube;H9DZ_SLz9Pg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DZ_SLz9Pg[/video]

Last edited:
OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Bruce, I'm in Utah so I gotta ask where you were chasing bison at?!

I guess I should have added that I only hunt archery and Utah is August 15 to Sept 15 roughly. I hunt high so temps can drop but even then it's not the same as trying to do it in November

Bruce, I'm in Utah so I gotta ask where you were chasing bison at?!

I guess I should have added that I only hunt archery and Utah is August 15 to Sept 15 roughly. I hunt high so temps can drop but even then it's not the same as trying to do it in November

Near Fishlake. if you're chasing elk i'm guessing you are in the Wasatch right? Much easier to hang than find a flat place to pitch a tent in the dark after shooting an elk at last light, trailing the blood and quartering it out. A hammock can be struck on a 60* slope, no waiting to get some zzzzz after doing all that work.

You can find bargains on TQs, UQs and other hammock gear at Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective. Check out the classified ads.

Here is what every one who knows hammocks is trying to say to you. Because if you do this right, its awesome. Not doing so will affect your impression.

Get a long hammock. Width means zilch. Length is what is important. 11' minimum. Get a top quilt. And, get an under quilt. If money is a problem, start with a long hammock. No Eno's, Grand Trunks, etc... They are too short. Get one from a cottage vendor that is made from material rated for your weight. Dutch makes one for half the cost as the parachute mass produced one's. Then buy a under quilt. There are lots of thing that will serve for your top quilt. So, save that for last. And get your under quilt rated for the lowest temps you intend to use it in. Plus, the under quilt is the most important piece of gear to keep you warm. It's where those that fail at staying warm in hammocks make their mistake. God Bless

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Near Fishlake. if you're chasing elk i'm guessing you are in the Wasatch right? Much easier to hang than find a flat place to pitch a tent in the dark after shooting an elk at last light, trailing the blood and quartering it out. A hammock can be struck on a 60* slope, no waiting to get some zzzzz after doing all that work.

You can find bargains on TQs, UQs and other hammock gear at Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective. Check out the classified ads.

I'm actually in the uintahs, less people more country ha

Thanks I'll give that stuff a look!!

Once you practice a while, setting up your hammock will take no time at all. Just don't put your tarp on upside down. LOL

[video=youtube;ZuWTfC_fOgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWTfC_fOgA[/video]