What is the best sleeping bag?

CalonDale

FNG
I am currently in the market for a new sleeping bag for under $500. Not sure if I want a 0 or 15 degree bag as the weather is very unpredictable here in the Wyoming high country. I'm about 6'3 so i will need a longer bag. I also sleep on the colder side. Please leave your thoughts on bags for me to take a look at. Thanks!

fatbacks

WKR
REI Magma 10 is a great choice. Used one this fall in Alaska. Had nights where nalgenes froze solid. Warm every night and super light weight. Way cheaper than WM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I'm five days in to scouting my deer hunt in Jarbidge. Season opens in 12 hours. I'm at 9k feet and it's been 24° every morning when I wake up at 3:30am. I've been sweating in my WM Antelope that I bought used on eBay for $300.

I will never backpack with another brand of bag after using this one. It's not even three pounds. I do like quilts for my hammock in the summer though.

I used to believe synthetic was smart when I lived in Alaska. When I bought this Antelope, I hand washed it in my bathtub. It took 30 minutes of squeezing to wet out the down so it would clump. I never let my synthetic bags get wet anyway because that's still dangerous. All of my synthetic bags lose so much loft that I carry a "warmer" bag than I need. The extra couple pounds I carried would be a couple thousand calories a day.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a WM Antelope, fantastic quality. Take care of it, store uncompressed and it's a 15-20 year investment.

That used one is a good deal, think hard on that.

AXEL

WKR
54 years using bags in cold, wet conditions owned all the best brands, just do as the other guys say and buy that Badger.

I bought a WM Terralite and a Sequoia, this past summer and had a Alpinlite circa 2008, simply superb, will never wear these out.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Of all the bags I have tried, my WM Kodiak is by far the best bag I have owned. I have not yet spent a cold night in it. I am a cold sleeper, and I have gone down into the teens and been toasty. Plus it makes you smile every time you zip it open or closed and the zipper doesn't catch on the fabric. I still can't for the life of me figure out why every other bag maker hasn't put a stiffener on their zipper like WM does? I was a little nervous about down at first, but it has never lost loft yet even in cold wet weather. I don't think you can go wrong with a WM bag.

Beendare

WKR
Best bag....tough question.
No doubt Western mountaineering makes great stuff....as does marmot, Montbell, Vallandre, Feathered friends

Then theres the "which is best syn vs down?" question...good luck getting a consensus on that.

i can tell you be careful of the UL skinny design bags...big guys and those don't usually work out. I'm 6'3" 235 and really like the montbell stretch bags and have them in syn and down for different conditions...mostly using the syn bag.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
0* Slick Bag in Long & Wide. You mentioned unpredictable weather....Synthetic works whether wet or not.

That's the direction I'm headed (just don't need the long/wide). The "failproofness" of synthetic is worth the extra weight bulk over down... in my opinion.

Good Luck!

OP
CalonDale

CalonDale

FNG
Thanks everyone for your input! As of now I'm leaning more towards the WM Antelope but still open to suggestions. I was trying to get that WM Badger bought but wasn't quick enough.

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
Sierra Designs still has the Zissou bags at 50% off. Still think at this point and time it’s hard to pass up for the money.

Sierra Designs Zissou Plus 700 3-Season Sleeping Bag they still have some long lengths left.

These are OUTSTANDING bags for the money! I own a western mountaineering puma and wanted a light bag for warmer weather. I bought this sierra designs zissou to do that. I took it out this weekend for the first time and the temps dropped down much lower than expected and I got caught in temps in mid to upper twenties. I was Snug and warm as could be! Very comfortable! LOVE THIS BAG for the money!

oenanthe

WKR
Synthetic might be better than down when wet, but it seems like a stretch to say that it works. You'll be miserable in a wet bag, whether it's down or synthetic.