Question for Hilleberg Soulo users???

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting a soulo, but my western mountaineering sleeping bag is a left zip which is a real pain to use in a small tent that has the door setup on your right side while sleeping. I have looked around on youtube and it appears that most people sleep in the soulo with the door on their right side while sleeping. It looks like on the spec page that if you lay in the tent with the door on your left side that it would allow a little more headroom than foot room anyways. Does anyone who has one sleep with the door on their left? Any disadvantages to this? This is an expensive tent to order just to find out that it doesn't work well with my bag, and Im not replacing the bag, since it costs as much as the tent.....lol

If its not gonna work, I will just get the Unna. I just bought a new akto and LOVE IT, but its a touch small. I need just a little more space. On a side note, if anyone is interested I have a practically new akto in green I will make an awesome deal on.

jlsteel

FNG
if you have the door on the left, your entrance/exit will be at the foot of the bag. I could see crawling out of the tent a pain. I would rather have the entrance on the right and use the left zip bag, there is enough room for me to fit a bunch of gear to the left of me in my soulo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just buy Jordan's Soulo and be done with it lol. Heck, you can sell that WM bag for 90% of new and get a RH zip bag.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can't speak for the Soulo. I have the Unna. If I am outside and facing the tent my door opens from the right to the left. I prefer and run a Left zip bag. This is much easier for me to open the sleeping bag and have the tent zipper close to my head when I am in the tent and want to exit.

OP

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy Jordan's Soulo and be done with it lol. Heck, you can sell that WM bag for 90% of new and get a RH zip bag.

quit tempting me sneaky.....lol

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Haha I like this comment!

I actually used a left zip with my Soulo and didn't really have an issue with it being too annoying. Just unzip, pull my legs out and swing over the bag. Actually never thought about it. I have slept on the "foot end" of it though and it's not bad at all. I just run the zippers to the back so they're close. Then if I sit up I can reach to run the door open. It wasn't a big hinderance, just not as much head room at that end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
that's shooting holes in his theory Jordan shhhhhhh lol. It's even the right color bonatter

AlaskaEd

WKR
I don't have a Soulo but my 1-man has a left side door. I use a right side zip western mountaineering and have never felt this was an issue. In fact, this thread is the first time I've heard it mentioned that is a problem. I think you are over-evaluating it. You get out of your sleeping bag and then get out of the tent?

cell4soul

FNG
I just used my Soulo on my first backpack mule deer hunt. I have a left zip sleeping bag. I never felt it was an issue. Tent performed flawlessly. We were dealing with rain and 40-50 mph winds all night.

pwr

FNG
There's more room if you keep the door on your right. Didn't have a problem with left side zip though.