Down Sleeping Bag

I'm looking to purchase a new down bag that I can pack in to camp if I need to. I'd like it to be as light weight as possible and water resistant. I usually sleep a little colder than the rating for some reason. I was thinking around the 10-15 degree rating probably but there will be a small amount of winter camping. Price is not an issue but was just wondering what you guys/gals would buy.

Thanks in advance!

EastMT

WKR
I bought a Big Agnes Hitchens this year with treated down and I love it. I bought the tall version and it's 30 oz.

OP
U
LOL woops not sure how I didn't see the other thread. I was looking at this bag but thinking it would be too much bag for what I would use it for?

Access Denied

Not sure why it says access denied but link works for me. It's the Mountain Hardware Ghost bag and has a waterproof membrane in it.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'll throw a little changeup to the conversation. How about a 20F WM bag and a 30F Enlightenend Equipment quilt. Together, they are good to 0F [20F-(70F-30F/2 = 0F]. You are more versatile because you can remove the quilt if needed and you have a 20F bag and 30F quilt to use separately.

If your -10F bag wets out or freezes on the outside from condensation, you're screwed. At least with the combination system, you have one left. In that regard, condensation is going to move through the WF bag and into the EE quilt so you only have the freezing issue with the top surface of the EE so your WM bag is goed to go no matter what.

You can apply the same concept to a 10F WM and a 30F EE quilt and get to -10F.

By the way, I've got a subzero WM bag and prefer the two bag setup to the one bag route. YMMV.

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
ALWAYS western mountaineering when compared to something else.....lol Thats just my opinion. I have a puma GWS expedition bad, and absolutely love it. Im a cold sleeper myself, and that bag has done the trick.

wildcat33

WKR
I've always had good luck with MH bags. I invested a lot on a MH Lamina in 2006 and its still as good as the day i bought it. I also have a WM bag thats great. Both companies stand behind their products, so I would venture that you cannot error choosing one or the other. -40F and 1k$ for the ghost may be overkill tho. So between the two Id go WM.

wildcat33

WKR
I've always had good luck with MH bags. I invested a lot on a MH Lamina in 2006 and its still as good as the day i bought it. I also have a WM bag thats great. Both companies stand behind their products, so I would venture that you cannot error choosing one or the other. -40F and 1k$ for the ghost may be overkill tho. So between the two Id go WM.

1signguy

WKR
You can't go wrong with a WM bag. I was going to buy a new WM when KUIU had a pretty good sale on their bags (It was a couple hundred off I think) so I thought what the heck I will try one. I bought their 0 degree bag and I think it looks/feels like the real deal. Will use it in CO at the end of this month and will know for sure.

If the KUIU was not on sale I would have bought a WM as the price was about the same...

OP
U
The reason I'm looking at the MH Ghost bag is because I already have a Marmot Helium but wanted something a little more hard core for any crazy hunting trips I might take. That and I can get a special discount on it. That bag looks pretty nice

I had a catastrophic parastove incident in my WM this past spring so sort of had to go for an immediate replacement. I ended up using my REI dividend check plus members only sale and got the zero degree Mormot forever summer bag for rally cheap. The Marmot is rated at 0* and the WM was rated at 20*. I'd say both are good for me down to the teens. The Marmot though weighs more and takes up twice the volume in my pack.

When talking sleeping bags WM is always the answer IMO! I'll have a shiny new WM bag by next years snowmelt.

OP
U
Thanks a lot for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. After getting your feedback and comparing everything, I think I'm going with the Badger GWS because it weighs 2 lbs less than the MH, making it a little more versatile for me and I just don't see myself needing the -40 degree rating. I'm sure the MH is a great bag as well though 🙂

Rokwiia

WKR
In my opinion, there is no equivalent to WM in a commercially-prepared bag. Their temp ratings have a stellar track record of being accurate and the quality is unsurpassed.

Every bag manufacturer provides a temperature rating. If you're using a bag in 40F-50F and the rating is off a little, it's not the end of the world. If the rating is off at -10F it may be the end of your world.

Feather Friends is another excellent company. In the end, if I had to apportion funds, I'd buy Walmart clothes and boots but would make sure I got a WM bag. Call me crazy.

Twigg

FNG
Thanks a lot for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. After getting your feedback and comparing everything, I think I'm going with the Badger GWS because it weighs 2 lbs less than the MH, making it a little more versatile for me and I just don't see myself needing the -40 degree rating. I'm sure the MH is a great bag as well though 🙂

As I don't personally own one, I still know you are making a great choice from everything I've heard and read about them. I myself own the Sierra Designs bag. With the 50% off sale they were having on them, I felt for a 15 degree down bag for around $150 I couldn't beat the price or the bag for the budget I had at the time. But I will in time have a WM bag in the next year or two as my adventures start taking me to colder regions of the world.

mlob1one

WKR
The montbell is my go to and doesn't get the same love as some of the other companies. I have both a 15° & 30° bag in a tall that I love. They are seriously well made and will not disappoint.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
U
Thanks everyone for taking time to give your thoughts. It's so awesome to be able to come on here and get peoples experiences using different equipment to get some guidance on what to spend our hard earned money on!