WTB tent with stove, need help!

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Okay I am entrusting the help of the valued forum members because I can’t decide! Here is the situation, I am tired of being cold and want to try the hot tent/light weight stove option. I have been looking at the Seek Outside Cimarron w/stove or a Kifaru Sawtooth or Tut w/stove. Now I live and hunt in Alaska so I want to be able to hunt in all types of weather and conditions. Am missing any options that might work better? Last thing, can I keep it under $1,000 for both? Let me know your thoughts guys, I wanna hear what kind of input anyone has. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sawtooth listed on here right now for sale, and a guy just sold a Kifaru 6 man tipi with stove for 750 lol. You can't go wrong with any of your listed choices. You want to be able to stand? Or does just having a heated shelter mean more to you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
How many people? That's another deciding factor.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Standing would be nice, I am 6’5” though. 2 people mostly, although my kids are going to be old enough to go soon so possibly 3.

They say the Sawtoth is better in the wind ( extreme wind).
The redcliffe from SO ( a bit bigger than the SO Cimmaron) will allow you to stand and is perfect for 2 people
The tut will be tight for 2 people.

Just get a 4 man to be used for 2, and 6 man to be used for 3.

The height of the stove pipe is a great heat sours so a taller set up is better in some ways.

As far as a stove, get the one that assembles easiest packs the tightest.
My LO stove is round but also uses long bolts that run full length of the stove body (allows a pan to rest on it for heating/cooking)
I was gonna get a box stove until I saw the round cylinder stove from SO, and their stove body end plate assembly set up with those bolts.
Reason ones I feel the round stoves pack tighter than the boxed ones, and tent to weigh a bit less.

I hunt solo 99% of the time, and got the Redcliffe from SO and the 18" stove from LO and couldn't be happier.
Ive been in good winds 30-45 mph in 20 degrees and snow at night in the Utah mountains. I was warm, dry and slept great. I always utilize the guy lines cause you want it up when you get back.
:)

AlaskaEd

WKR
The cimmaron is way too short to stand. SOs specs list it as being over 6', at the peak, but mine was probably 5.5', meaning around 5" tall to the sides of the pole. I found my back and shoulders were always rubbing on the sides. I was a little disappointed in that, although the rest of the tent was great. As for the Kifaru, I'm 5'10" and can stand straight up in the center rib area of the sawtooth, much more useable room in it as well.

Sawtooth with stove will be tough to get it under $1000. Look into the Titanium Goat vertex 6.5 and 7.5. You can get it complete with a stove, and maybe a liner, for under your budget.

I’m EXTREMELY happy with my SO Redcliff and LO 18” stove. Had 3 of us (6’4, 6’5, and 6’2) all our gear and stove no problem on our elk hunt two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
Tut is ok with two people but without a stove, just sold mine to get a sawtooth. If you were to add a stove you would probably want a separate place to store your gear in the Tut. I don't have a stove yet but now will be able to add one if needed. For Alaska I would lean towards a more weather resistant shelter. Sawtooth being the best in the wind vs the Tut or similar designs. I don't have experience with other shelters. Hoping to get my sawtooth in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your search.

HeadnWest

WKR
I’m EXTREMELY happy with my SO Redcliff and LO 18” stove. Had 3 of us (6’4, 6’5, and 6’2) all our gear and stove no problem on our elk hunt two weeks ago.

Another vote for the Redcliff! Great weight to space ratio too!

oldgoat

WKR
Sawtooth with liner for Alaska for sure from the ones you listed! Stove type depends on whether you want to cook on the stove or not, cylinder stoves generally have the best burn time and are about half the weight of a box stove, but not good for cooking on.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info! I think the Sawtooth is gonna be my choice, now I just need to decide on a stove.

Are backpacking long distance? Do you want a shelter big enough for the family? What kind of winds will you see? Because your shelter choice can be a live or die decision, this is not the time to read the menu from right to left. Buy one, cry once.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Are backpacking long distance? Do you want a shelter big enough for the family? What kind of winds will you see? Because your shelter choice can be a live or die decision, this is not the time to read the menu from right to left. Buy one, cry once.

Not always but could be some. The tent needs to be able to handle Kodiak or colder fall hunts in the interior.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would say a Sawtooth or a 6 or 8 man tipi would be best for your usage. Tipis shed wind as well and will have more room depending on number of people who will be with you. Sawtooth is comfy for 2, starts getting tight after that.

Select a shelter you can spend a week in cuz Kodiak gets slammed often. I've read reports of guys stuck in rain and sleet storms for 9 days straight. Ran out of fuel for their stove on the 6th day. Yikes.

Took some searching, but this linked thread in particular is what I base my recommendation on. And a liner would be mandatory in my opinion, I finally used my liner in my Sawtooth this year and it was a huge improvement over the Sawtooth without a liner like I've been using it the last two years!
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/slee...cific-feedback.html?highlight=Sawtooth+Alaska

Ha! I wondered what happened to that particular thread. That whole experience was a definite eye opener....

My Sawtooth has been on a couple more extended Alaska trips since the storm of 2015, and it continues to perform very well. Reading the OP's thoughts of maybe having 2 or 3 total people to shelter, I'm not sure the Sawtooth would make the (my) cut. The reasons have to do with number of people sleeping inside vs having to actually live inside. Certainly my Sawtooth could accommodate 3 adults for sleeping, but there would be essentially no space to move about, sit or spend time in. Things like cooking inside or running the woodstove would become VERY doubtful in my mind. An area to store wood might not exist. It probably comes down to what people want vs what they can tolerate. I want space to actually live inside. I use a Helinox chair inside my shelters. Inside is where I bathe and get dressed. I do all my cooking inside, and I store all my gear at the tapered end. When the weather gets lousy I've got space to do things instead of just retreat to a sleeping bag.

Woodstoves: The Sawtooth center-pole and stove jack are fairly close to the door opening. A more conventional round or oval tipi usually has them centered. I have to be extremely careful and attentive when the stove is burning in the Sawtooth...at least when it comes to moving about or coming and going through the door. One trip or misstep could produce disaster. I consider my woodstoves to a great asset but also maybe the most dangerous thing about my whole camp. I worry less about bears. Stoves must be given respect, and this only increases in importance as shelter size decreases.

The bottom line for me is that I equate adequate space to having a very comfortable shelter and camp. For two men on an extended hunt (thinking Alaska and plenty of gear/food) my preference is an 8-Man tipi + a medium stove. A 6-Man would work also, but the 8 gives you the option to sleep a couple extra people in a pinch or on a shorter trip. The cost difference can be rather negligible. The Sawtooth has a hefty retail tag. I personally would make my investment in the shelter a TOP priority and forget the stove until later. Buy as much cubic space as you can afford today, because you'll never regret it tomorrow.

I agree with Kevin in his assessment on space.
He has done this a lot longer than I.
But anyone who has done it quickly realizes the importance of space.
I have the Seek Outside Redcliffe and it is suppose to be a 4 man tipi. Like all tipi/tent specs just divide that in half for realistic utilization.
With that said, sometimes even that isn't enough,

I spent 3 days in well below freezing temps, in wet area, with snow on ground and snow falling. The wood I gathered to dry out for the 3 days took up a lot more space than I ever thought it would. My pile of wood ( 3 different sizes laid out for 3 nights) took up another persons gear storage area and then some. I also brought a lot of extra gear to test. So I was hauling a ton of stuff and had it scattered thru out the tent with little organization. . If there was another person with me, carrying the same amount- we would've been ok in there but if weather came in and we would be forced to stay in there a day or 2 or 7, it would've been taxing on the mind set for sure.

The Sawtooth I feel is great for 1 and 2 if its a routine hunt.
The Tut- again if its a routine hunt
The Cimmaron - ok for a routine hunt

But I have yet to have a routine hunt in the mountains in any season after the archery opener

I am so glad I opted for the "over size" tipi I did, and an 18" stove heats it perfectly

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is limited, but I have to agree with Kevin. Get the biggest shelter you are willing to carry. I went with the SO 6 man tipi. It is very comfortable with 2 people (fits beds, gear, wood, large stove, chairs). It sleeps 3 comfortably, but doesn't have room for chairs. If you are just looking for a shelter to sleep in and keep the weather at bay, then you can get away with a smaller shelter. If you plan on longer trips and want to be comfortable then a bigger shelter is well worth the extra weight and cost. Just a thought, I would consider the ratings on the shelters capacity to realistically be half of what they state. For example the 6 man tipi I would consider a 3 man shelter. Yes you can sleep 6 in it, but it will be really tight and I doubt you would be able to store your gear in it too.

I bought this 6 man tent for Kodiak (3 guys) and decided it was insufficient. You'll see why at 8:50 minutes. Kodiak gets brutal.

[video=youtube;PylrnSDprIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM[/video]