Floorless Shelter Options

ks.snow

FNG
So currently I sleep in a MSR Hubba Hubba NX and want to go the floorless route with a stove. All my hunts are mainly 3-5 miles back so weight is a major facotor especially being solo. Mainly go solo, but sometimes have my buddy go with me or take my pup. I have been looking into the Kifaru Supertarp or the SO Silvertip. Any advice woud be greatly apprecited.

Thanks,

Kyle

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Just as a note I will be adding the annex to the supertarp if I choose that option.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't overlook the SO LBO with 3 piece vestibule. It's modular so you can run it multiple ways

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't overlook the SO LBO with 3 piece vestibule. It's modular so you can run it multiple ways

^^^^This. I can’t speak from experience with the other, smaller, SO shelters but the LBO would be a great shelter for what you’re requiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG

Also have looked into this. See that it needs two poles to go with it. Is everyone just using the SO adjustable carbon pole? Also, looking into the option of getting a ground tarp and using it as a wind block when glassing as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can use one trekking pole with an extender, or a dedicated pole. A stick, two trekking poles, hang it from a limb....

The Mountainsmith LT shelter (with an added stove jack) may be a lower cost way to try floorless out. Uses trekking poles, but you can get poles made or cut sticks. They are pretty inexpensive at around $100 new and come up used pretty frequently.

-dan

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Anyone with experience think a TIGoat 16" cylinder stove with 5ft stove pipe would work well for the LBO.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Silver tip with a stove would work for solo use but will be too small for two guys and a stove. Same with LBO and 3 piece vestibule. Both are great for two people and gear, but with a stove they are a one person shelter. 2 people and a stove you would need to bump up to the Cimarron.

AdamW

WKR
Silver tip with a stove would work for solo use but will be too small for two guys and a stove. Same with LBO and 3 piece vestibule. Both are great for two people and gear, but with a stove they are a one person shelter. 2 people and a stove you would need to bump up to the Cimarron.

This is what I found with my research, thanks for confirming Brad.

OP, I ended up ordering a Jimmy Tarps Hudson tipi and a TiGoat Wifi stove. We'll see how it goes.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The thing that wasn't mentioned is you could never run 4 guys and a stove in a Cimarron or Hudson, but you could in an LBO with a base tarp base setup. It's the most versatile shelter of all options mentioned.

The thing that wasn't mentioned is you could never run 4 guys and a stove in a Cimarron or Hudson, but you could in an LBO with a base tarp base setup. It's the most versatile shelter of all options mentioned.

This is true, but comes with a compromise elsewhere.

The tarp mid section introduces a large unsupported area that will not take wind or snow as well as the others.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is true, but comes with a compromise elsewhere.

The tarp mid section introduces a large unsupported area that will not take wind or snow as well as the others.
I'm thinking of sewing in a hypalon patch on my tarp section for that very reason.

rbljack

WKR
not trying to muddy the waters, but I have a sawtooth and a supertarp. That supertarp would be REAL tight IMO for 2 guys, gear AND a stove...Not sure it would even all fit in there. For one, no problem, but you cant stand up. The sawtooth has plenty of room for 2 people. When packing in with a buddy, you can split the total pack weight between the two of you, you can stand up, and was great for me solo when I used it on a turkey hunt in the mountains last year. I bought the supertarp because its something I felt would be a good solo shelter, AND be able to carry for in any day hunt in case it turns into an overnighter.

I have limited experience with it, but so far...so good. You can probably cut some weight on the sawtooth as well if you don't bring the Pole Kit and use wood poles found at the camp location.. Gritty bowman did a good podcast on shelters and went into great detail about the floorless options and tents. It might provide you with additional insight if you haven't listened to it.