Review: Bent Hammocks "Get Bent!" by Rokslide Moderator Glen Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hello Rokslide Community,

I am going to be bringing to you a Rokslide Review of a hammock sleep system, from Bent Hammocks. You can find them online at Bent Hammocks - Home | Facebook and on instagram @benthammocks

attachment.php

hammock1.jpg hammock2.jpg

The hammocks are hand sewn and made right here in the USA in Sumner Washington by Jeff Collins a local firefighter and hunter
sewn.jpg

My first impressions right out of the box are how lightweight the system is, and that includes hammock and tarp. They both come with their own stuff sack, and they compress well. Neither looks like it would take up much room in your pack system which is always a great bonus.

I have set the hammock up in my yard, to give it a test run,(and well because I have never used a hammock before) I thought this would be best before taking it on any kind of hunt. It found it to be pretty easy set up, obviously there was a bit of a learning curve for me being my first time, but I watched their easy to follow video on their facebook page, and it made it much easier for me to get things adjusted correctly. Here is their video for those interested:
[video]https://www.facebook.com/benthammocks/videos/333640377073676/[/video]

The Hammock and Tarp appear to be very well made, and the material seems very strong. The Hammock had no problems holding me up, and I am pushing about 250 pounds at the moment. And being that I set it up in the yard, it passed the rough-housing kids test as well!! lol

I'll be updating this review as I go, as I plan to take the hammock out and use it on a bow hunting trip or two here in Virginia and West Virginia. I am sure I will utilize it as well on some fishing and camping trips also. So that I can let you how an over-nighter goes in it. But for now check out Bent Hammocks facebook page and follow them on instagram.

Anyway, stay tuned for more fellow roksliders!!

Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You’ll like it, I took a few naps in it, never did get a chance to take it out for a full night. But like you said it’s very lightweight and with the tarp great lightweight shelter. Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE:

Well I got to try the hammock out yesterday/last night, got off work at 2:00 pm came home packed up and headed up the mountain to spend the night. I found a suitable spot and began setting up the hammock. I had set it up a couple times in my yard to practice, so it wasn't to bad setting it up in the woods. I do however suggest watching his video, multiple times to remember in your mind how to set it up properly, especially if you are a hammock rookie like myself.

I hadn't set the tarp up in my yard while practicing, so once I set it up, I couldn't help but keep thinking, I wasn't doing something right, because it didn't look like the pictures I had placed in the original post in this thread. Once I logged in I noticed in the original pictures, trekking sticks were used, and I didn't use them, so it's safe to say you can set the tarp up in various configurations. The way i set it up worked just fine for me!
bent55.jpg bent60.jpg

As far as how my night went in the hammock, I do have to say, sleeping in a hammock is about 9000 times more comfortable than sleeping in a tent on the ground!!! I was really impressed with the comfort!! So much so, it made it easy to fall asleep at night in a bear infested national forest here in Virginia. Because, honestly, I was a little worried about a curious bear coming in for a visit. But no worries all went well!!

I had read on here that sleeping in a hammock is much colder than sleeping in a tent on the ground, to prepare for this I carried along a Zero degree sleeping bag, even though the low was only suppose to be low 40's, i thought better safe than sorry. I was comfortable all night, no issues with cold at all.

Although I did not use it over night, I could see the bug shield being a real bonus when it comes to buggy areas and/or summer camping as well. It zips up easy, and breathes really well. Here is a picture i snapped with the bug shield zipped up over me in the hammock. To give you an idea of the room you have in these hammocks as well.
bent57.jpg

Overall I feel like the Bent Hammock would make a great early to possibly mid-season hunting option, if your hunting a place with trees to set it up. Like i mentioned before it's VERY comfortable and it's very light weight and takes up little space in your pack, here is a picture of the tarp stuff sack and the hammock stuff sack on my tailgate with a box of shotgun shells for reference.
comparison.jpg

I spoke with Jeff about color options, tarp sizes, materials etc. and he had this to say:

"There are a lot of colors to choose from. Some fabrics have more options than others. The standard size is 128” x 58”. Some fabrics are wider, and those Hammocks can be made up to 70” wide. So far when someone wants a hammock, we talk about the weight rating of the fabric, then color. I try to explain the benefits of each type of fabric and allow customers to make the decision on their own as far as which fabric to use. I know it makes for a slow process, but I want happy customers."

As for myself, I enjoyed "Getting Bent" in the mountains of Virginia in an awesome hammock I can't wait to try it out again in the spring, I am thinking this will be awesome for spring turkey and trout fishing expeditions!.

bent56.jpg