Thermarest Neoair Xtherm

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. Just wow. got this thing in the mail, will field test this weekend, but blew up and laid on a minute, and crazy the heat you can feel building on contact points. Thermarest gives it a 5.7 r value, and I'm thinking that's legit. I'd point out a thermarest 2 r value rated foam pad feels about as warm to me as a 4.2 r value claimed rei air rail. Thinking this will be a nice jump in warmth over the air rail, with slightly less weight and packed size. Will update how it feels this weekend, should be temps down close to 30.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bones

WKR
I really like mine. Used it along with my EE quilt for a CO elk hunt this fall. It sure treated me well.

OP
D

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately didn't make a back up plan, and public land near private was overrun with private lessees, a couple of which decided to be real a-holes. Was feeling peaceful for the weekend, so decided to say to heck with it rather than fight about it. So no cold test yet; next weekend . . .

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and definitely like the extra warmth of the R value. Had a cold Nebraska bird hunt where I was cozy warm in a Marmot 15 degree bag. Temps were a little below 15 at night. Without the xtherm, I’m not very comfortable in that bag under 25 degrees.
One drawback is that the material is krinkley. I don’t mind when I am rolling over, since I am awake anyway. It does bother my wife some.

Great pad absolutely. I took mine on one trip and sold it immediately thereafter due to the noise factor. I considered mine loud enough to be obnoxious. Still warm and comfortable.

bounds

WKR
I used mine for the first time last weekend. Not cold enough to warrant the high r value, but I've never slept better. I've been around the Xtherm and Xlite a lot having worked in the outdoor industry, but had never actually slept on one or been in a tent with someone else that has one. I've always been concerned about the noise factor. I can honestly say for me, it was a complete non-issue. My brother slept right beside me and he never said anything about it either.

My best decision was buying the Large size. No elbows on the ground or pillow/feet migrating off the pad. It was the best sleep I've ever had in a tent.

Its a solid pad. Ive been running one for 3 years straight. Probably 15ish total trips. 20-21 breath to fill but .mines the full size. R value is legit, ill fold it in half and lean on it as a back pad and it feels like a mild back warmer. Its a bit warm for summer but i sleep naked and kick my feet out for temp balance. It is NOISY AS ALL HELL. But im usually so tired i dont mind but my buddies have bitched a bit. For all the comfort of sleeping it seems to be one of the top..

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Rated best pad on more than one gear site and Thermarest is a great company, abot 1/2 the weight of my Exped.

Grabbing one at REI The crinkle scared me off ..
Maybe i should have laid on it.

colonel00

WKR
Here are my thoughts on the noise. Are they quiet? No. Is it your child learning to play the drums every time someone rolls over? No. Yes, there is some noise but it isn't that bad. Plus, it only makes noise when you move. It's not like it's noisy from breathing. I've been in a tent with 3 other guys all on Xlites or Xtherms and yeah, it's a bit noisy when everyone is going to bed but once everyone is laying down, it isn't that bad. Besides, folks often like to talk about how tired they are after a day of hunting.

Now, if you are a very light sleeper, it might be an issue but there are other things in the wild that are going to be louder. If you wake up in the night from random sounds in the house then this might not be for you. Me on the other hand, I can tune out probably too much like noises, alarms, a jackhammer outside my window :)

One other thought, I'm pretty sure my snoring is much louder than these pads ever are. Not an issue if you are hunting alone but something to keep in mind if you or your buddy(s) snore.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I really like mine. Got the wide version so my arms don’t fall off as much. I did have a valve leak on one, sent it back and they immediately sent me a brand new one. Can’t beat that guarantee. The wife is a very light sleeper and she doesn’t think they are too noisy. We have the X-lite versions too.

Like mine a lot and after using it for 5 years or so, it's not noisy at all... If you have a hard time falling asleep in the evening due to the noise of a sleeping pad, you aren't working hard enough during the day :)

Used mine on a ten day and an eleven day elk hunt. Blew out the valve on the second outing. I need to send it back in to get replaced, but I've been saying that for three years now.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Great product. Adds heat and mine stayed inflated with a couple of touch ups during 10 days of uses on the last hunt. It is as said to be a little loud and slippery. Don't sleep on to much of a slope or you will wake up outside your tent.

Like mine a lot and after using it for 5 years or so, it's not noisy at all... If you have a hard time falling asleep in the evening due to the noise of a sleeping pad, you aren't working hard enough during the day :)
Agree. I have a couple XTherms (regular and small), and a small Xlite. I've been using them for several years now and have never even thought about noise. To be quite honest, I don't know what people are talking about when they say these pads are loud, crinkly, etc. When you inflate them to the point where they're firm, they make no noise what so ever (and you could be doing summersaults on the damn thing), at least that's been my experience. Oh, and as far as customer service, second to none. I bought one used a few years ago and it had a small leak that I could not find, so I contacted Thermarest, sent it back, and they sent me a brand new one. The only complaint I have is that they can be a little tiresome to blow up but I fixed that by buying a little light wt. electric pump, that runs off two AAA batteries, weighs 2.6 oz. (batteries and bag included), and takes about 3-4 minutes to inflate.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I've camped with a guy running the original yellow light version...and it was noticeable...but didn't keep me up.

Is the Xtherm less noisy than that yellow UL version...or about the same?

I've camped with a guy running the original yellow light version...and it was noticeable...but didn't keep me up.

My yellow Xlite does make a little noise, but my Xtherm makes no noise at all.

colonel00

WKR

I think the xtherm is less noisy as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16