SO Tipi ... which one?

Did they change the size of the 4-man? I'm also 6'3" and I have way more headroom then the 4-man you have pictured. The advertise headroom seems accurate to me. It may be the angle, but it looks like you would not be able to stand up in yours.

As for the original poster, I would go with, as others have mentioned, go with the Kifaru 6 man if you are goimg to have 3 people and a stove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't know if the height has changed or not, but I do understand that the design of the 4-man changed from a 10-panel, to an 8-panel.

If I stood fully upright in my 4-man (older 10-panel in 70d fabric), my head would be touching the pole on one side, and the fabric on the other side.

And don't neglect the couple extra inches of height you gain when wearing hunting boots inside.

I've never yet figured out the advantage(s) of a nest or bivy for me. I use liners and it stops right there. Never had a serious bug problem or wished for a bivy...but my WM bag has a Gore shell and basically shrugs off any moisture.

It might be of some help to look at this from the perspective of overall shelter weight complete, divided by x number of people.

Some guys see a shelter...tent or tipi...as only where they sleep at night and store gear. Others see it as their backcountry home and living space. Each will likely have different priorities for weight, space and comfort.

My use of a nest revolves around central pa summer's Shenandoah and wife and kids. Without the wife and kids I probably wouldn't use a nest either except for my complete irrational fear of snakes

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
If I just concerned about mosquitoes, which there are plenty of where I backpack, I would get the screen doors and call it a day. Where I go, there are timber rattlers and I nearly stepped on on a few months ago.

I don't want to take any chance of one sliding under the perimeter of the tent and next to a sleeping bag. Being in a nest, keeps mosquitoes, timber rattlers, and other undesirables away from me when inside the tipi at night.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I just spent a little time looking at videos about the Kirafu Sawtooth. I might have pulled the trigger on it but I don't like the profile or layout. I don't know what the elongated side accomplishes and it has only one door. Honestly, I am new to tipis, and would love to hear the other side of the argument, but, for me, it leaves a lot to be desired.

One feature the Sawtooth I really like, and that SO might consider, is the velcro screens. You can use them in warmer months to protect against flying insects and remove them in cooler weather so there is no weight penalty.

I'm totally open to hearing the case for the Sawtooth layout. It reminds me of the Redcliff whose layout also leaves me a little in doubt. Maybe I like just like symmetry which provides the most amount of standing space. I also like two doors.

Hall256

WKR
I just spent a little time looking at videos about the Kirafu Sawtooth. I might have pulled the trigger on it but I don't like the profile or layout. I don't know what the elongated side accomplishes and it has only one door. Honestly, I am new to tipis, and would love to hear the other side of the argument, but, for me, it leaves a lot to be desired.

One feature the Sawtooth I really like, and that SO might consider, is the velcro screens. You can use them in warmer months to protect against flying insects and remove them in cooler weather so there is no weight penalty.

I'm totally open to hearing the case for the Sawtooth layout. It reminds me of the Redcliff whose layout also leaves me a little in doubt. Maybe I like just like symmetry which provides the most amount of standing space. I also like two doors.
What swayed me from the Sawtooth was the max height and weight. You can fit 3 guys in there no problem, but the long portion of it seems suited for only two, the third would have to sleep in the front which might interfere with the door (only my guess, not 100%).

So while not ideal for me, that may work for you...two guys your set, those few times you have a third guy you can make it work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The Redcliffe foot print is actually square

I stake the 4 corners down
The others just pull it out for more room

I marked the 4 corners with green para cord, so even in dark I can set them first

Then the others are a different color and set last

The sawtooth was designed this way to be better in wind

If you go a tip route, you want the many angles to shed winds
That's where the Redcliffe shines
Its got a square foot print
But also has the other angles

If you got to camp and it was raining, you could set the 4 corner stakes and raise pole, get in it, set up stove, get dry and warm

Then later set other stakes and guy outs

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Wouldn't a symmetrical tipi with steeper walls, such as the 6-man, shed water or snow better than the Redcliff?

Wouldn't a symmetrical tipi with steeper walls, such as the 6-man, shed water or snow better than the Redcliff?
Realistically Any angled tip is going to shed weather...
Some perhaps better, you need to decide what are you hunting in, late season rifle, in high country, or early bow

Buy for your application, not a one type does all, unless you're gonna do all, but then, you would a few different tents any way
;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
IMO the screen doors are a waste of weight and time. If its warm enough for mosquitoes I want my tipi up off the ground for ventilation. Sure you could leave the doors open and pitch it tight down to the ground so there are no gaps but if it starts to rain and you have to close the door you are going to have a condensation nightmare inside there. If bugs are a potential issue I think a nest is the way to go. If you have two guys in there you can get or make two single man nests for pretty cheap. I made a half nest for mine for like $30

Ive used my redcliff in some pretty good storms in NM and on POW and I don't think you will have a problem with wind sheer. The footprint isnt actually square but its close enough that you get more useable space than in a regular tipi. And like has been mentioned, you can make your 4 corner loop extenstions a different color and it makes putting the thing up super fast. Just stake the 4 corners kind of loose, put the pole in, stake the rest out (or dont if its pouring rain or you are tired).

Another cool thing is that if its super hot during the day and you want to nap you can fully open both doors and turn it basically into a shade tarp on each side with max air flow between.

I much prefer the redcliff over a traditional tipi. Ive never used a sawtooth but they look sweet for two guys. None of them are a bad way to go

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Theoretically yes.

We had a customer with a Redcliff who was camped at the base of a peak with a group trying to summit the next morning. A bad storm rolled through and two different brands of 4 season mountaineering tents failed and everyone crammed into the Redcliff and spent the night. Winds were estimated at over 70 mph.

So theoretically the tipi should handle wind from any direction better than a Redcliff, but realistically the strength of either will be limited by how solid the stakes are in wind.

The redcliffe is a tipi. It just a simple rectangular foot print. But then it also has additional stake loops out from there making it into a tipi with walls same as a tipi- it is sort of a hybrid if you will. But it is definitely a tipi.

Attachments

• redcliffe .jpg
    redcliffe .jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 20170308_160932.jpg
    20170308_160932.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 139
  • redcliffe night.jpg
    redcliffe night.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 129