SO Tipi ... which one?

Rokwiia

WKR
Looking to get a tipi (never had one before) that will be used primarily for backpacking, with an occasional 4x4 offroad trek, so weight is one factor in my decision. I'd be backpacking in areas that are thickly wooded, almost always under the canopy of trees, and in an area that is usually wet.

It would be used by two people 80% of the time and a third person the other 20%, at the most. I will get a woodstove to be used with the tipi.

I'm considering the Seek Outside 4-man, 6-man, and Redcliff. There isn't always expansive open spaces in the forest so I am a tad concerned that a large footprint will create some problem finding a spot to put it.

Will the 4-man be able to handle three guys (average size), equipment, and a stove? If there were 3 guys all the time, I wouldn't even consider the 4-man but it be 2 people most of the time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Good rule of thumb with any tent/Tipi is to cut the number in half unless you want to get intimate. You won't be able to have 3 plus gear and stove in a 4-man.

Just remember when using the stove, you need a spot inside for the piles of wood, especially in wet climates. That pile and the stove take a persons space, so even when you are just 2, you are actually 3, and when 3 you are actually 4.
The Redcliffe is nice as it has 2 doors, which keeps you from tripping over each other when exiting.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
The Redcliff has a lot of space with low headroom doesn't it, at least compared to the round-bottomed 4-man and 6-man?

Davebuech

WKR
I would be looking for an 8 man Tipi for 3-4, gear and a stove.

Looking to get a tipi (never had one before) that will be used primarily for backpacking, with an occasional 4x4 offroad trek, so weight is one factor in my decision. I'd be backpacking in areas that are thickly wooded, almost always under the canopy of trees, and in an area that is usually wet.

It would be used by two people 80% of the time and a third person the other 20%, at the most. I will get a woodstove to be used with the tipi.

I'm considering the Seek Outside 4-man, 6-man, and Redcliff. There isn't always expansive open spaces in the forest so I am a tad concerned that a large footprint will create some problem finding a spot to put it.

Will the 4-man be able to handle three guys (average size), equipment, and a stove? If there were 3 guys all the time, I wouldn't even consider the 4-man but it be 2 people most of the time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
In my case, there will never be four. Two most of the time and 3 a handful of times.

I'm trying to temper the desire to have as little weight as possible when I backpack with the option to have space for one more in a pinch.
The 8-man would be great if I drove to my destination.

I am the mule and have to carry it in and out. The 8-man is out of the question because it is too much weight and because the floor is too large for use in the forests where I go.

dog812

WKR
I have the lbo , with the tarp and vestibule... You can do just the lbo + vest for two. Or all three with a stove for 2 or 3.

I own a Redcliffe. 3 plus gear and stove works but is a little tight. There is plenty of space for 2 guys woth gear stove and probably a small camp stool or chair. Head room really only allows one standing at a time but that wasn't really a negative for me.

For your use it will work well. Your decision looks like you will have to choose a larger you for more headroom with the extra footprint and weight or a Redcliffe with less headroom slightly less weight and slightly smaller different shapes footprint

The Redcliffe staked with extra para-cord and pole at max is over 6' easy. Perhaps one guy at 6'-3" at a time benefits from this for sure. But you cant have everything you want in back packing stuff. Something has to be sacrificed- weight, size, most comfort etc.

I find the Redcliffe, for me, the best all around set up. You will need to calculate the same for you.
If you need 2 or 3 guys to all stand up and have total comfort- get a wall tent or 8-12 man tipi, but then you have the weight/cost penalty.

Don't go looking for the perfect tent that is super light weight, super big and super cheap- its not real...

Make a check list of the most important thing for you, then the next and the next and so on.
Then find only the ones that meet your number 1 and 2 needs. From there pick the next need and you have your tent.
No tent meets every need all the time, unless you are solo and under 5'-6" and a millionaire, and hunt in warm weather, from a truck, where elk come to you.

For me , my # 1 was size, not just height, which was at least 6' needed, it was girth, for just me usually, but with the option with 2 other guys once a year.

2nd was weight. I hike in a ways and needed it light.

3rd was ease of set up quickly

4th was 2 doors, vents and skirting

5th was price, cause they are usually all in the same ball park fighting for your $

I believe they are all durable so I didn't need that added in.
I believe they all have great service so I didn't add that in.
I believe they all have stove jacks so again, not added in.

I love the 2 door set up and the peak vent in the redcliffe. The sod skirt is a plus as is staking it high or low. Add in the large foot print with ease of set up, it's light weight for its size and over 6' center- it had what I needed with the least compromise of all I checked out.

Added....
The only reason I didn't get the Sawtooth, which was my first choice, was the set up foot print. Then the lack of height thru out the tent for 3 guys.
The reason I didn't get the 4 man was room inside.

So I went to look at the Cimmiron from SO, but again what killed it for me was its diameter size.
The Recliffe is like 6-10" at the pole, the Cim was only 6'.
The Redcliffe seemed almost double inside area.

There was huge cost difference if I remember, but $$ was last on my list, and usually is, when it is a vital piece of equipment.

The reason I chose the Redcliffe was for use as a solo palace. At most there will only be 3 guys hunting in it and likely only one or two. It's light enough for me to take solo and large enough for my max use so I felt it was a good all around option for me.

As mentioned above, there is no perfect tent so I sacrificed the weight of a smaller shelter for the size of a larger shelter so more could come even though most the time a smaller shelter would be ok

4-man is too small for 3+gear+stove, IMO. Think 6-man or Redcliff.

I sold my 4-man to upsize to the 6-man, for real standing room. I'm 6'3".

4-man,
3xD6qZY.jpg

4-man, flexi-pitched from guyouts,
gUosRnG.jpg

6-man,
Lp1m14b.jpg

Between the 6-man and the Redcliff, the Redcliff will save you a pound, faster pitch, better choice of accessories like nests, etc. The 6-man gives more standing room, a flexi-pitch option, but half-nest is big and costly...you could rig a smaller nest though.

Felix40

WKR
I sure am happy with my redcliff. Went to it after the 4 man was way too small for my family. Two doors is really nice. The size is a palace for two even with a stove. Ive had three guys (two on cots) in it a few times and its a good size for that too. Its way easy to pitch too. The tipi wasnt hard but could be a bit of a struggle on very uneven ground. With the redcliff I just get the corners set kind of loose then put the pole in and start driving all the stakes.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful help. I really appreciate it. Montana Marine - wow, thank you for posting those pictures. The 6-man noticeably larger than the 4-man.

Not crazy about the Redcliff nest, as it is too narrow for two at 55", nor the 6-man because it is too costly. I'd be backpacking with buddies not my GF and don't want to be shoulder-to-shoulder in a nest. I'd rather everyone have their own separate nest.

I think BearPaw Wilderness makes nests that might work for either the 6-man or Redcliff. Mountain Laurel's nests might work as well.

Net Tents

I don't have any of the nests. But in our climate bugs are not that big of a deal. In the tipi the bugs tend to go to the top. They will generally go out if you open a gap for them.

Hall256

WKR
4-man is too small for 3+gear+stove, IMO. Think 6-man or Redcliff.

I sold my 4-man to upsize to the 6-man, for real standing room. I'm 6'3".

4-man,
3xD6qZY.jpg

4-man, flexi-pitched from guyouts,
gUosRnG.jpg

6-man,
Lp1m14b.jpg

Between the 6-man and the Redcliff, the Redcliff will save you a pound, faster pitch, better choice of accessories like nests, etc. The 6-man gives more standing room, a flexi-pitch option, but half-nest is big and costly...you could rig a smaller nest though.
Did they change the size of the 4-man? I'm also 6'3" and I have way more headroom then the 4-man you have pictured. The advertise headroom seems accurate to me. It may be the angle, but it looks like you would not be able to stand up in yours.

As for the original poster, I would go with, as others have mentioned, go with the Kifaru 6 man if you are goimg to have 3 people and a stove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk