Liners

Very close to pulling the trigger on a SO Redcliffe. However, I'm wondering if getting a liner is absolutely necessary? I'm planning on getting a 18" LO stove. I've read mixed reviews on guys essentially saying its a luxury item. Thoughts? Thanks

Not a luxury to me. Liner is 100% always on the job to stop condensation 'rain' inside. The stove only works when you burn it and most guys are probably not burning their stoves all night long. I would personally leave my stove at home before I would go without a liner. I know others will dissent and that's expected. I've experienced severe condensation in storms and know how truly bad it can get. Wood can be wet or hard/impossible to find in some settings. I consider the stove a luxury and liner a necessity...mainly because I just refuse to spend time worrying about or dealing with condensation.

I have a Redcliff and a LO 18” stove and after my CO trip this year I will be buying a liner. I don’t think it’s a MUST have but I also don’t think it’s really a luxury. It’s somewhere in between

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you elevate the tent about 6 inches off bottom you will eliminate a majority of the condensation but if you stake directly to the ground you will definitely struggle with condensation at times, that's the price you pay with a single wall tent, but still love that you can walk in with muddy feet and also use a stove. I use a liner in my 8 man but not in my cimmarron. I also use a lightweight bivy over my bag , keeps it clean and helps if you do get condensation in tent. I just purchased a new bora gear bivy long wide side zip , only weighs 6 ounces

OP
G
Thanks Kevin, have you used the SO shelters? I was doing some research and Kifaru uses a different kind of fabric than SO. I don't plan on taking the shelter in very windy areas but it could happen. I've read a lot of great things about SO but Kifaru has the name.

Elevating my Tut 4-6” has virtually eliminated any condensation for me. Even with little wind it’s still enough airflow moving thru to stop condensation. No way would I carry the weight or hassle of a liner.