Is my sleep system adequate?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to SW Colorado in a couple days for 2nd rifle. First time ever hunting there. Just curious if RS thinks my sleep system is adequate for the temps, keeping in mind that I (think I) tend to sleep warm. Have been tracking temps for surrounding towns and seems to be anywhere from 20-mid 60s.

I'll be running:
-SO SilverTip
-LO 12" stove
-Borah Gear UL bivy
-Thermarest Xtherm pad
-EE Revelation APEX (20*)

I'm more concerned about the quilt than anything else as I've never used one before. Obviously, if things get rough, I'll have a stove, but I'd rather not stay awake all night, every night trying to keep that thing stoked. Think the quilt/pad/bivy will be enough to sleep comfortably in these temps?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The bivy will tend to contain the quilt and keep out drafts, adding anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees of warmth. The stove doesn't do anything for nighttime temps unless you're awake feeding it.

For me, I'd be in a 0 deg quilt or my 5 deg WM Antelope bag that time of year. I'm a cold sleeper though.

Best case you know ahead of time how your stuff performs in those temps for YOU...not always possible I know, but that's the best.

Remember that surrounding town temps might not represent actual temps a few thousand feet higher up in the mtns. I’ve always found the “town” temps to be 15-20* different from mtn side actual low temps.

I’d have a second blanket or woobie or something to help boost temps just in case the 20* quilt doesn’t work for the anticipated 20* low temp. Or maybe bring a puffy coat and pants to help stay warm.

For me, I’d be in my 0* Slick Bag inside my Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy with Traverse base layers and balaclava on to stay warm this time of year on the mtn.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Remember that surrounding town temps might not represent actual temps a few thousand feet higher up in the mtns. I’ve always found the “town” temps to be 15-20* different from mtn side actual low temps.

I’d have a second blanket or woobie or something to help boost temps just in case the 20* quilt doesn’t work for the anticipated 20* low temp. Or maybe bring a puffy coat and pants to help stay warm.

For me, I’d be in my 0* Slick Bag inside my Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy with Traverse base layers and balaclava on to stay warm this time of year on the mtn.

But Bill is a big flat land Cold sleeper =-) He is correct though on his Temp assessment. Im a warm sleeper and I do just fine in my 20 Degree quilt and Bivy. If I get cold at all I throw on my puffy and put the hood over my head. Your setup would work fine for me down into the teens. But if your a cold sleeper (as in you get cold easy when sleeping) Then Id say drop down to the 0 degree bag.
Best piece of advice I think anyone will give you is to go out on cold night in your home state and test it out. See how you do down into the 10-20 degree temps. If your comfortable then Id say you'll be fine. If you freeze well then you need to make an adjustment.

What really matters is what is going to keep you warm and work for you. No advice can be given on this and your best bet is to test it out.

Hope that helps.

In my limited quilt experience the drafts kept me from being warm at 30 degrees under a 0 degree EE enigma. A bivy would have helped but I'd be worried about 20 degrees with a 20 degree quilt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've never had any issues with drafts under my EE quilt and i never even use the straps. I'm wondering if you guys all have night terrors or what?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1signguy

WKR
You are pushing it... the stove will help but I would want a zero degree quilt or bag for sure. Love a quilt but it’s not a bag.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from some hunting for the first time with some synthetic quilts I made for me and my boys. I used the 30 degree rated insulation and realized afterwards I wish I’d gone with warmer... I chose to get some of the Costco down blankets for $20 each and we used those inside the quilts. I know it was down into the 20’s overnight and possibly lower...it got cold out. But, I was happily surprised at not being really cold inside my quilt. On one night I woke up a couple times (I never seem to sleep well outdoors anymore even in great weather I wake up) and was a little chilly. Pulled the quilt over my head and all was warm again.

I think it definitely has to do with if you’re a cold sleeper or not-I’m not. I will say if I had to do it again, I’d definitely go with a lower temp rating than I expected just to be on the safe side. My stove certainly helped, but even with a baffle, it runs through wood pretty quickly. I could get some thicker stuff to smolder and put off some heat for well over an hour, though. That’s in pine forests, in hardwood country, it would likely be even better. Bet your bivy helps retain some heat, too-I didn’t have one of those. Hope it all goes well for you on the trip.

Jeremy

It's cold at night here in the SW corner of Colorado. Better throw on some layers so that you're warm when that stove goes out.....

Mike7

WKR
I would strongly recommend you obtain a puffy hood if you can. That can make all of the difference, along with a properly sized quilt which is plenty large.

I sleep warm, and my wide 20 deg EE quilt is a little cool under 25 degrees without a puffy hood, great down to 10-15 deg with a puffy hood added (I use the EE apex hood), and good into the single digits when wearing some fleece under my quilt. And this is all with the Xtherm pad but without a bivy sack.

I've never had any draft issues with my quilt but mine is a zero and I sleep in boxers and cotton t shirt. If I had your setup I'd put on some layers and have a beanie and start from there.

I usually zip the toe box but never use the draw strings and barefooted. But this late and 20 quilt you'll want some socks and maybe cinch the toe box.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
i got drafts using my 10 degree when i first got it. then a few trips later i found out im an idiot and was setting it up around the outside of the pad, kind of like how a blanket hangs over a mattress. so for anyone doing that, its supposed to tuck under you. draft issue has been gone since and i sleepy plenty warm.

layers are always an option.

GotDraw?

WKR
I personally would not take a 20 degree bag out this late in the season in Colorado mountains, odds are stacked against you. My choice would be a zero or ten for anything at altitude.

It sucks being cold.

Want to know the weather on "your" mountain at your altitude? Go here, pick the closest mountain and select elevation-- voila:

Mountain Weather Forecasts

Then you can decide from there. Like Dirty Harry said.. "are you feeling lucky?"

Your set up sounds solid to me. You can always add clothing layers at night if needed and testing your intended set up in the field in advance is always key so you can fine tune prior to departure of course. Keep in mind elevation and exposure will play a big role in relation to local town weather forecasts.

I personally would not take a 20 degree bag out this late in the season in Colorado mountains, odds are stacked against you. My choice would be a zero or ten for anything at altitude.

It sucks being cold.

Want to know the weather on "your" mountain at your altitude? Go here, pick the closest mountain and select elevation-- voila:

Mountain Weather Forecasts

Then you can decide from there. Like Dirty Harry said.. "are you feeling lucky?"

This. I would error on the lower side of temp rating. Night after night of sleeping cold could end your hunt early. Elk hunting is hard enough mentally. Coming back to a warm bag after a long day does a lot for the body and mind.

GotDraw?

WKR
I just checked 10 day weather for Maroon Bells area around Aspen and you're looking at low twenties to high teens at night. Not sure what your planned elevation is... brisk but not brutal

ljalberta

WKR
I just checked 10 day weather for Maroon Bells area around Aspen and you're looking at low twenties to high teens at night. Not sure what your planned elevation is... brisk but not brutal

If these are the temperatures you're expecting as well I'd definitely bring something extra as you're right at the very low of end that sleep system. If you don't mind sleeping in a puffy jacket (ideally with a hood) you might be okay, or bringing something such as the 15oz Costco down blanket is an option. Personally, I'd be taking a 0* or 10* bag or quilt, however that's based on me being a slightly colder sleeper in general I'd say.

zhunter

FNG
Temps in the southwest are not unseasonably cold at the moment but do not underestimate how drastically that could change even for just 1 night. If you are going up in elevation the temps will likely be much cooler than the nearest town forecast, throw in a little wind and some areas can just feel flat out cold.
IMO. with your Tipi/Stove/Bivi you will have enough protection to test your gear and be ok.
A buddy of mine was hunting elk 1st season at around 9700' this last weekend and he said they saw plenty of deer still up high. I'll be in SW Co for a third season tag and can only hope you have to endure a brutal snow storm and freezing temps for days on end that will start pushing the deer down from high elevation to winter grounds LOL.
Kidding aside I think you may not be toasty warm but youll be fine unless you get soaked from some unexpected storm.
Late reply but I hope you tagged out today!