I am struggling with my tent decision.

dog812

WKR
I am struggling with this tent situation. Over the last two years I have bought a couple bivy s , the full seek outside lbo, connecting tarp, and vestibule. A nest... The whole thing.. Haven't used it once. I setup the lbo again just for fun today cause it's miserable outside. ..
It works fine... But am I really going to buy and use a stove?
If not, I really don't need this tent...there is better options...
I have a wall tent and stove that I have used twice this year, and a summer tent that I took on some early hunts.

How dry can you really get things in hour of heat from a little stove. I usually hunt all day. Eat then go to bed.... Do it again.

Please explain how it works better for you?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having a stove is a moral booster for me in that it's nice to have a warm shelter at night and in the morning and in bad weather. Necessary? No but I still bring it a lot. It does help dry things out a good bit and also dries condensation. It's also entertaining and another cooking option if needed.

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Having a stove is a moral booster for me in that it's nice to have a warm shelter at night and in the morning and in bad weather. Necessary? No but I still bring it a lot. It does help dry things out a good bit and also dries condensation. It's also entertaining and another cooking option if needed.

Live2hunt custom shelters
Do you bring it solo?

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
As stated above it is a moral booster . My MZ season would have been a disaster without a stove in my Redcliff. Heavy wet snow and lots of it . We got back one night at 10:30 and without it we would possibly been in deep shit. The temp had drop below 30 and with the stove we boosted the tent temp to 70 inside and got ourselves out of a bad situation .
Everyone has his own opinion but a stove is a must have in my book . Ya they are a bitch to keep going and weigh a little but worth every ounce in my backpack/tent/hunting setup.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Cimarron with Lite Outside stove last week for UT elk hunt. I had my cot within arms reach of the stove and was able to get a firing going in a matter of minutes without leaving my bag. Hit snooze 2x's and finally got up when the tipi was all warmed up. Yeah...its worth it.

oldgoat

WKR
It is definitely not needed, until it is.
Like 50% of what is in your pack.
Well said! I have a small two man tipi that I didn't have a stove for yet that I used on a solo hunt at the end of September this year, a very small chance of precip turned into a 40+ hour rain sleet and snow event! I was soaked, everything in my tent was soaked, it would rain inside the tent when the wind gusted, I ordered a stove for it when I got home! I have a bigger shelter and stove that I use when my wife is along, we have a fire at night and in the morning and sometimes in the middle of the night if it's colder! It will now always at least be in the truck if not with me! When you need it you need it!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For me it depends on the season. For archery I probably wouldn't bring a stove. For Oct and later I wouldn't go without a stove.

After having a stove & shelter set up and seeing the benefits first hand I won’t head up the mtns in CO without one. Carry it solo or in a group during sept archery and haven’t regretted it one bit.

Cimarron + Kifaru Parastove
80d70781e8c94581f04a34e4d654504b.jpg

Needed it for the 5” of snow we got opening morning...

FlyGuy

WKR
I was very happy to have my stove for my Sept WY Elk Hunt. Was not expecting it but we had significant precipitation in one form or another on 9 of 11 days. Temps were not crazy low ( 23°F ), but that's enough to make it hard to crawl out of the bag. That is, Unless it's getting hot as Hell. Then you are out of the bag quick! I'll have that stove with me every September from here on out.

ea5354772c44bf7a6f7fb5f2cbacd65f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I am struggling with this tent situation. Over the last two years I have bought a couple bivy s , the full seek outside lbo, connecting tarp, and vestibule. A nest... The whole thing.. Haven't used it once. I setup the lbo again just for fun today cause it's miserable outside. ..
It works fine... But am I really going to buy and use a stove?
If not, I really don't need this tent...there is better options...
I have a wall tent and stove that I have used twice this year, and a summer tent that I took on some early hunts.

How dry can you really get things in hour of heat from a little stove. I usually hunt all day. Eat then go to bed.... Do it again.

Please explain how it works better for you?
I am interested in that tent combo you have though. Seems very versatile, but ive never seen one in person. What don't you love about it once you got your hands on one?

OP
D

dog812

WKR
I am interested in that tent combo you have though. Seems very versatile, but ive never seen one in person. What don't you love about it once you got your hands on one?

I just don't have a place for it in my hunting Arsenal....with the wall tent, 3 other tents, friends properties and my truck canopy. I cover all my bases.
I thought I would hike in further with a setup like this....but I haven't. As much as I want to... I don't see any trips coming up this year like that.... .So it has literally only been setup in my backyard....
I have all three pieces, a nest, a adjustable pole, 2 trekking pole extenders..
I'll probably sell it as a package eventually.
Still contemplating the stove for a mid November hunt... But I don't know if i can justify the cost for 4 days.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just don't have a place for it in my hunting Arsenal....with the wall tent, 3 other tents, friends properties and my truck canopy. I cover all my bases.
I thought I would hike in further with a setup like this....but I haven't. As much as I want to... I don't see any trips coming up this year like that.... .So it has literally only been setup in my backyard....
I have all three pieces, a nest, a adjustable pole, 2 trekking pole extenders..
I'll probably sell it as a package eventually.
Still contemplating the stove for a mid November hunt... But I don't know if i can justify the cost for 4 days.
Let me know if you decide to sell/part out. I've got an lbo with vestibule but could use/ want some of your setup lol. I'll have a stove for mine shortly. It's that time of year

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1signguy

WKR
Just came back to civilization- we had rain, snow and cold wind. The stove made it very comfortable. Can’t imagine not taking a stove ever again.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
This year was my first time hiking in a bit, then setting up camp and hunting from there. Spent a couple nights out there with my young kids in my DIY pyramid tent. We also had the 15” Ti stove I made and I was thankful for it. The first night was REWLLY windy, cold, and snowed on and off. When we got to the tent from hunting, it was great to start it up and get things warmer. I woke up so many times that I was kinda hating life. But, I had wood I’d stacked up and kept feeding the stove during the night. It definitely helped. The next night was eerily calm but rather brisk.

I basically packed everything in and had a decently heavy load. That being said, I still wouldn’t have left the stove out. Totally worth it to me. We hung our pants from a little clothes line as well as socks. They were all nice and dry. Great piece of equipment in my opinion.

Jeremy

Having a stove makes a tremendous difference. I go to bed warm, in a warm bag, no cold feet, toes, hands or fingers. I can wake to sub freezing temps and get the stove going, do a baby wipes shower in udder warmth, dress in warm clothes, cook breakfast in a warm tent, dress in warm clothes, and be fully recouped to perform at my best, after a good nights sleep. It's a complete game changer.

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Well I have taken everyone's advice and ordered the lite outdoors stove....we'll see how it goes.