I am struggling with my tent decision.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
There is another option, a small open fire inside your tent. After spending years designing a UL wood stove, cutting every ounce possible, I learned that the lightest stove out there isn't a stove at all, it's a tent capable of accommodating an open fire inside. Zero carry weight, available when you want it, non-existent when you don't.

Disclaimer - Mansfield Outdoors is the sponsor of this forum. We're the exclusive North American importer of Sweden's legendary Tentipi Nordic tipi's which are all designed to accommodate either a wood stove or an open fire inside the tent. Please feel free to post or PM with any questions.

View attachment 60004 View attachment 60005

jeffpg

WKR
I have 2 of the LBO's, a vestibule, connecting tarp, a nest, and the Lite Outdoors stove. With these I am pretty well set for whatever situation I normally encounter. I used the 2 LBO's in conjunction with the connecting tarp last year in Wyoming for a couple of days with a partner and then packed up high alone with the LBO & vestibule for a weeks stay.

Haven't used the nest or stove yet but I hope to remedy that soon.

OP
D

dog812

WKR
I have 2 of the LBO's, a vestibule, connecting tarp, a nest, and the Lite Outdoors stove. With these I am pretty well set for whatever situation I normally encounter. I used the 2 LBO's in conjunction with the connecting tarp last year in Wyoming for a couple of days with a partner and then packed up high alone with the LBO & vestibule for a weeks stay.

Haven't used the nest or stove yet but I hope to remedy that soon.
Did you bring poles? Cut wood poles? Use trekking poles?

OP
D

dog812

WKR
Well I did it, got the lite outdoors stove..
Testing the lbo and stove setup mid November for a 4 day mule hunt.
We'll see how it goes
29c6841db7aa149aa3a4ced15fd98b53.jpg
47dc77a2aa8f60293cc78c8ec20a2687.jpg
3748537db14749afdb12e5b75d147c5f.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well I did it, got the lite outdoors stove..
Testing the lbo and stove setup mid November for a 4 day mule hunt.
We'll see how it goes
29c6841db7aa149aa3a4ced15fd98b53.jpg
47dc77a2aa8f60293cc78c8ec20a2687.jpg
3748537db14749afdb12e5b75d147c5f.jpg
The angle you're running that pipe looks like it's putting it awfully close to the tent

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
D

dog812

WKR
The angle you're running that pipe looks like it's putting it awfully close to the tent

It was fine, the stove Jack cover blocked most of it. . Gave me the most interior space. Trying to see how I could run 2 guys for a overnighter coming up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It was fine, the stove Jack cover blocked most of it. . Gave me the most interior space. Trying to see how I could run 2 guys for a overnighter coming up.
Stove opening to the front?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ah, you are running the pipe opening on the same end as the door

sneaky

"DADDY"
Does that have any negative effect on the draft?
They say it's equivalent to running a baffle in the stove. I haven't tried it so I can't speak from experience

OP
D

dog812

WKR
My stove has the baffle. So the fire travels to the back, goes up over the baffle, comes back to the front and out the pipe. Once it got going, it was very efficient, almost no smoke.
This pic was full wood, cooking hot.

Having the door and the pipe on the same side let put the whole body of the stove in the angled part you can't use anyway.. Giving me the most space.
bf9b07d87caa6d95586f3ad061fed01a.jpg
79ffd7d745df3819d6a32b2d883f46ea.jpg
7c1a4fbbbfbd3ea4d9994104baa694bc.jpg

mrgreen

WKR
My stove has the baffle. ............Once it got going, it was very efficient, almost no smoke.
This pic was full wood, cooking hot.

Having the door and the pipe on the same side let put the whole body of the stove in the angled part you can't use anyway.. Giving me the most space.

That sounds like a great setup, thanks for the explanation.

Ten Bears

WKR
dog812

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I am currently looking at basically the same set up after freezing my butt off in Colorado. Have you weighed this set up yet and also how bulky is all of this in the pack ? I hunt solo pretty much 99% of the time and I am ready to try a stove, the moral boost alone and ability to dry off is so huge.

Trying to get a roomy set up with stove for around 5lbs, sacrificing my tripod/pan head and switching to just a trekking pole for glassing to save weight to accommodate the added weight of a tipi/stove.

Thanks-
John

OP
D

dog812

WKR
I just weighed everything up.
With my pole.. 6.2# total
Lbo , vestibule, lite outdoors stove, 12 ground hog stakes (too many), ground sheet, trekking pole adapter, and my 10 oz. mec pole.
I use the mec pole (60") and trekking pole adapter to get the proper 64" height.
I use my trekking poles, so I would bring the pole.
But if you dropped a few stakes and the pole.. Very close to 5#.

FlyGuy

WKR
dog812

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I am currently looking at basically the same set up after freezing my butt off in Colorado. Have you weighed this set up yet and also how bulky is all of this in the pack ? I hunt solo pretty much 99% of the time and I am ready to try a stove, the moral boost alone and ability to dry off is so huge.

Trying to get a roomy set up with stove for around 5lbs, sacrificing my tripod/pan head and switching to just a trekking pole for glassing to save weight to accommodate the added weight of a tipi/stove.

Thanks-
John
A supertarp with annex and 18" cylinder stove will easily get you there under 5lbs. Heck if you want tons of room a tut with stove (what I use) is about 5.5lbs. Drop the aluminum center pole for either doubles up trekking poles or a cut limb and you can knock another lb off of that.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
Thanks for the quick weigh. I think I am going to run this same set up. It's a tad over what I want but I can keep shaving weight elsewhere to make it up.

I pretty much only use my poles when packing in to set up a spike, after I drop the weight I usually drop the poles. So I will try the adapter.
Going to upgrade my bag and cut some more weight there too. Same with cook system.

OP
D

dog812

WKR
I got it for the modular design.
Solo up to 4 guys with the same tent basically.
My stakes are too many and not titanium,
No pole... You could def shave a little.
But I'd also add a folding saw. Make wood gathering easier.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I got it for the modular design.
Solo up to 4 guys with the same tent basically.
My stakes are too many and not titanium,
No pole... You could def shave a little.
But I'd also add a folding saw. Make wood gathering easier.

What length stove pipe did you go with? I'm trying to decide for my diy stove project for my LBO. I'm leaning towards 7' since I like raising the setup a few inches. Haven't decided if I want to do that when running a stove, though. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk