Tent dilemma: SO 4 or 6 tipi or Sawtooth

Merc

FNG
Finally going to be able to make it out on a couple of fly out dream hunts next year with my hunting partner to the slope for Caribou and then a float hunt for moose. I want to upgrade to something with more room than my BA 4 season backpacking tent incase we run into a few wx days and get stuck hanging out inside. The plan is for each of us to have our own tent (not necessarily the same and for redundancy 2=1 1=0). And then use on subsequent hunts as a base tent with my tarp for spiking out. I've already got a Kifaru small box stove, and helinox cot I'd like to use.

Looking at the SO 4 or 6 man Tipi, I do a lot of solo hunting but for the times that I've got 1 or 2 others it'd be nice for the extra room. The 6 man has me a little worried on the sheer size and finding a place clear enough to pitch it.

Has anyone used it in the lower pitch setting by using the ? How much does that affect the weatherability of it, and how much smaller does that make it? (real world experience appreciated but necessary).

I like the Sawtooth, but am not sure if it offers the ability to run a cot, or how I feel about the second pole in the middle of the back end. Has anyone tried running two poles pitched at an angle in the back?

Of the 3, looking at running 1-2 people, 3 in summer going light. Which would you go with, and why? I am leaning toward the SO 6 man Tipi depending on how useable it is pitched lower because of that versatility and extra size. But for ability to handle more extreme weather I go back to the Sawtooth.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, and advice.

Merc

I can't speak personally to the size and usability of the 6-Man. (I can opinionate the 4-Man would not be an option for me with an extra person.) I own a Sawtooth and the usability factor is really good. I always use a cot (LuxuryLite) and there's plenty of space for that. The side guy-outs help ensure maximum side-to-side usable space. More than enough space in there for a big bed setup, Helinox chair, stove, pile of wood, gear bags, weapon, cooking gear, food, etc. And I personally really enjoy the ability to completely stand upright to get dressed. I have no stake in what anyone buys. That said, my Sawtooth is one of the best pieces of seriously dependable gear I've ever owned.

The Sawtooth sounds like a good fit for what you described. You will be able to use a cot in it. Someone on here sewed an exterior loop to get rid of the rear pole and reported it worked well for them.
Your small stove will keep it warm in there.

Esse quam videri

I debated this same scenario over and over in my mind several times. The 6 was too big to pack but would've been nice if its three people. If that's the case sorry someone else is going to have to step up with another shelter.

4 man my thought was that it didn't have enough vertical space along the edges.

So I bought a sawtooth and 18 cylinder stove. It works great solo and if two people and a stove then you'll need to run a tarp For some gear outside but partner can carry that. I absolutely love my sawtooth

The other option is a redcliff from seek its larger and only slightly heavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same exact dilemma. I'm doing a lot of research on the Redcliff vs 6 man vs hilleberg keron 4. Its going to be me and two of my buddies and occasionally my family of 3. The stove always has me wracking my brain vs not having one.

OP
M

Merc

FNG
Thanks for all the advice, I think that after seeing everyone else's comments and doing more research (finally found good enough internet to watch some youtube videos), that the Sawtooth is going to be a better fit for what I want.

Now starts the hunt for a good used one, or waiting till the Gov't pays back that income tax loan I gave them through the year.

Merc

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the SO Redcliff. Perfect for 2 with a stove and gear , will accomadate 3 with no problem. Stove is a must have . If only for a moral boost .My Redcliff got a true Washington MZ season test with heavy wet snow almost everyday and came out great , the stove was a great addition by being able to dry wet clothes and have a warm dry tent . not to heavy with the two pieces either.