Help me decide on a shelter

ahawk116

FNG
A little info for you and then I’ll let you know what I’m thinking.

I’m from South Carolina, so I drive out west once a year for September archery elk hunting. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado. Elevations have been between 7300 to 10500. I always hunt with a buddy. We have a good base camp setup, but we usually go 5-7 miles in a couple of times and stay for 1-5 nights depending upon if we are in the elk or not.

We’ve been using my buddies 3 man north face tent to do that, but it is on its last leg.

We both like the idea of floorless. When it’s a starry night here in the east I usually just sleep under the stars so not having a floor doesn’t big me.

Should we both get tarps or should we get something along the lines of a kifaru tut or so cimmeron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with the Hudson TIPI from Jimmy Tarps. 1 pound 9 ounces. Also, it has a stove jack and with two guys carrying camp, there is zero reason why you shouldn't have that option as weight isn't an issue and the TIPI he makes is so light to begin with. If you never use a stove then this TIPI is as light as a huge 2 man tent gets. God Bless

VIAMOutddors.com is a small guy that sews stuff. There are some other vendors and DIY guys. I used a tarp first time this year and am convinced it’s a good way to go if you aren’t in buggy areas.

I'd go with the Hudson TIPI from Jimmy Tarps. 1 pound 9 ounces. Also, it has a stove jack and with two guys carrying camp, there is zero reason why you shouldn't have that option as weight isn't an issue and the TIPI he makes is so light to begin with. If you never use a stove then this TIPI is as light as a huge 2 man tent gets. God Bless

have you used yours during high winds yet?

Nothing more than say 15-20 gusts. With the door open it blows up like a balloon. :^)

Mine has done well in what wind I have had it in. I imagine if I were doing a goat hunt or, spending time on Kodiak, I'd want something silnylon if I were to go the floorless route. As I hear the winds can be brutal. Silnylon is stronger than silpoly for the same weight fabric. IT simply stretches well enough to keep things from ripping. But, there is little doubt in my mind that the hudson tipi will withstand anything I'll throw at it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it September-November elk hunting at any elevation. Lord willing, I'll do just that next year. :D God Bless

OP
A

ahawk116

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I would certainly get a stove if I went with the pyramid or tipi style tent. Which seems like y’all think is the way to go since I am never solo Hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I've seen the Tut and the Sawtooth side by side and I own a Sawtooth. I didn't like how the stove would be so close to where I'm sleeping in the Tut. And you have the option of getting a liner with the Sawtooth but not the Tut and the liner is totally worth it's weight especially since you have two men to pack the weight.

Similar situation to yours OP. From OK and only plan to hunt CO 1-2x per year. Love the Tut and stove for a floorless archery elk hunt trip and plan to use it every time we go. However, that’s about the only place I plan to use my Tut and stove set up and still feel it’s worth owning it. It’s perfect for a solo or duo trip and I wouldn’t change a thing. Pitches faster and easier than the Sawtooth and we haven’t had a problem with condensation or being to close to the stove yet. Light enough for solo use and big enough for both of us, stove, and gear. Yes, the Sawtooth is more “bombproof” but at a penalty. After being able to walk into the Tut I can’t imagine bending over to get into a Tarp or Hudson tipi set up ever again.

Lots of options out there. Good luck with your decision.