Woobie Question....

Read1t48

WKR
If my woobie periodically gets wet -- like say I use it as an umbrella or emergency shelter cover in a driving rainstorm, will the future performance be affected?

Is there a specific drying out process that I should follow?

Is there ever a time that you would treat the outer layer with Niki or something similar?

Thanks for the feedbsck.

I don't know about treating it with anything as I'd never use it as an umbrella. So, no there has never been or never will be a time that I would treat it with something to try and make it shed water. Because I'd be wet in about a minute. It's not made for shedding water. Its made for warmth. Using it for anything but providing warmth is not going to lead to desirable results. I'm not being a wise guy either. I'm just confused how anyone would consider using it as a makeshift tarp.

As far as drying, I'd hang it up and simply let it dry. Nylon and heat from a dryer usually don't mix well. God Bless

dotman

WKR
Just like anything with synthetic insulation such as a puffy, just let it dry. I don't know for sure but I don't see how it will reduce the future insulating ability, leaving compressed long term will do more damage I'd imagine.

I don’t think they need a lot of special drying. I line dry mine.

A sinylon tarp is very light and fairly cheap. Can be made into a cloak of sorts pretty easily.

I used a poncho and liner for years in service and civilian camping. Wash the liner occasionally as body oils and dirt lessen the insulation. The military issue liners have no water repellency whatsoever. What’s funny is I never heard the term “Woobie” used while in the Marines, seems like a newer generation marketing term.

Twigg

FNG
I used a poncho and liner for years in service and civilian camping. Wash the liner occasionally as body oils and dirt lessen the insulation. The military issue liners have no water repellency whatsoever. What’s funny is I never heard the term “Woobie” used while in the Marines, seems like a newer generation marketing term.

I’ve been active duty for over 15 years in the Army and have heard it called that since day one. It’s just funny the different services have different names for the same things.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you aren't leaving it wet long enough to mildew, etc., you'll be fine. I've spent more than a few nights with Woobie, poncho, and sleep pad, and most of them ended with some dew. You don't always have time to do anything but stuff it all in a ruck and move out, but I've always been pleased with how quickly the Woobie dries out. It hasn't even crossed my mind to treat it with anything.