How to improve sleeping bag warmth?

Hey, I've got a Mont-bell 37 degree mummy bag. I'm considering buying a quilt to place inside it to increase the warmth. Has anyone tried this? What would you advise? Thanks!

Hey, I've got a Mont-bell 37 degree mummy bag. I'm considering buying a quilt to place inside it to increase the warmth. Has anyone tried this? What would you advise? Thanks!
I have a quilt and it seems to me the quilt would go on the outside if you really wanted to do that. I have a 15 degree quilt which works fine in warm temps as they are pretty easy to "vent" if you get warm. So 1 bag would seem much simpler to me as it'd be much lighter (if you are backpacking) and less cumbersome overall.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
Last year I used a Costco down throw (1 lb and 20$) inside a 40 degree bag and it comfortably kept me warm down to the high 20s (it was -2*C outside). I folded it over twice on top of me inside the bag. I was impressed. I tried the blanket on top of the bag one night, but it fell off at some point, and kept using it inside the bag after that. I've used bag liners before, but found I get quite tangled and they don't add nearly the warmth of the down throw. That being said, this year I got a 10* EE Quilt, and that has been the best thing to happen to my backcountry sleep ever.

When my buddy got chilled in his old bag in base camp in WY a couple of years ago, I pulled my wife's quilt out of my truck and draped it over his bag. He's quite a bit taller than her. So, it was pretty short on him, but it did the job well enough. He was toasty warm. I don't know that I'd plan it as a modular sleep system. I think I'd be inclined to just go with a lower temp rated quilt or bag, but it did work.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I used the $20 Costco down blanket inside my quilt this year. I used 30 F rated insulation when I made the quilts for me and he kids. REALLY wish I’d used the warmer stuff.... The weight of the Costco blanket pretty much negated any I’d saved going with the lighter insulation. The blanket worked and kept me warm in what I’m pretty sure was the low 20’s. So in a pinch, I’d say go for it. If not in a pinch, I’d go for a better insulated bag or quilt.

Jeremy

I've thrown a woobie over top of my bag and it helps a little, but I'd say it adds another 15 degrees or so. The major problem being that it is hard to keep it on top of you as it's pretty slick and slides off pretty easy. Perhaps some shock cord to hold it around your pad would help, but I haven't tried it yet.

Trial153

WKR
yea a down blanket over top of your bag works great. Don't over look a better insulated pad. I find a pad is the deal breaker most times

oldgoat

WKR
I've covered up with a quilt and kept toasty, if bag was big enough it would work on inside but might be tough to regulate heat if you got too warm!

Rokwiia

WKR
I would recommend using a quilt on the outside. It provides several benefits. Makes your sleep system warmer and transports the moisture from perspiration to the outer quilt layer. If the moisture freezes, it does so on the outer layer of the quilt rather than the down bag you're in.
I have a 35F WM bag and will use a 10F EE quilt on top in cold weather.

If you want to be warm to 4F, you would need to add a 20F quilt calculated as follows:

20F - (70F-37F)/2 = 4F That presupposes two things. One, that your bag and quilt are accurately temperature rated. Many overstate their true warmth so you need a little extra cushion. Two, that your mat is good to 4F. Most people cut corners here.

Remember, you could have a sleeping bag good to -100F and you would be in trouble if you slept on the bare ground in most cold weather conditions. Be sure your mat(s) have an R-value of at least 7.2 if you want to take it to 4F, in my example.

Last year I used a Costco down throw (1 lb and 20$) inside a 40 degree bag and it comfortably kept me warm down to the high 20s (it was -2*C outside). I folded it over twice on top of me inside the bag. I was impressed. I tried the blanket on top of the bag one night, but it fell off at some point, and kept using it inside the bag after that. I've used bag liners before, but found I get quite tangled and they don't add nearly the warmth of the down throw. That being said, this year I got a 10* EE Quilt, and that has been the best thing to happen to my backcountry sleep ever.

Those Costco throws are awesome. I second that..

Ten Bears

WKR
I use a sleeping bag liner and it does the trick. It packs small and weighs nothing.

If I get super cold, I will fill my nalgene with hot water and put inside my bag.

Akicita

WKR
I would put my day layers on along with my puffy and and a watch cap. . . No need to bring anything else if you already have warm layers for outside the bag.

AXEL

WKR
The best option is to buy and use a bag that is suited to your actual ambient conditions. Use a pad system also suited for cold weather and sleep well without the various hassles involved in "jury-rigging" systems from various pieces.

Doing so makes your bed system probably heavier than a good properly rated bag will be and still not as efficient.

The costs are not that different and are worth incurring so you sleep well, which is fundamental to top performance in the bush, especially in cold, wet, late season hunting.

A couple more points: NEVER take liquids in ANY container into your bag, especially in deep cold where an accident could ruin your bag and leave you wet and cold in the bush. IF, you eat and hydrate properly prior to bedding down and wear a light base layer, fresh socks and a head cover, you will warm up quickly and a good bag will hold this around you if you use a proper pad.

That is all you need to do and is the safe way to deal with cold. I prefer synthetics or silk longjohns for this while using merino for daily wear. I DO NOT wear and advise against wearing heavy clothing in a bag as it WILL trap perspiration, dampen and then the whole system is compromised.

There are LOTS of good deals on fine used bags, the Feather Friends one just listed here on the "For Sale" section is a case in point. Sooooo, one can obtain two bags to cover all but the most ferocious cold and layering a 3/8 EVA pad under a Thermarest or other such pad will keep you comfy down to the -20s sans wood stove and very few even try to camp at colder than that.

JMHO, but, based on a LOT of experience over 50+years in western and northern Canada.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Save up and get the right bag for the job and if you get a nice one you are likely well ahead on weight and bulk. My 10F westermountaineering bag kept me warm through likely sub 10F this weekend at 11k and clocks in at 2lb total (which makes it hard for me to consider getting a warm weather bag unless I was just looking to save wear/tear). I slept in my 145 merino long johns, merino shirt, a stocking cap (I don't like the mummy fully around my head), draft collar closed and also I put my puffy pants around my neck area to help seal the draft collar area better.

Beendare

WKR
Easy option is to wear merino LJ's

I have a Montbell 30 deg summer bag that I had been pushing it into colder temps. I added 4 oz of 850 down to it ...a little goes a very long way. Probably a 15 deg bag for me now.

I wear puffy pants, coat, and a beanie inside my bag western mtn bag. I can sleep comfortably 20 degree below what the bag is rated for. I'll sometime boil water and fill a Nalgene bottle to keep my feet toasty warm.

For me, the first thing that gets cold when I push my bag rating is my feet. So in addition to what everybody else has mentioned (base layers, cap, pad R value, etc.), get a pair of down booties if you have feet like mine. This year was my first year with them, and I will probably always pack them from here on out...

OP
Huntingpreacher
This is all very helpful, thank you! I already sleep in down clothing when the temps drop so I've got that part covered. I still need something warmer though. I'll weigh the pros and cons and decide accordingly.