Wall tent size

Hoping to pickup a wall tent by next fall. Will usually have 2-3 guys, occasionally a 4th. I'm looking at either a 12x18 or 14x16 Davis with the traditional pole setup. Any input on those 2 size tents?

We are using a 14x17 for three dudes with cots, a stove and two tables. Our gear is also stored inside. As long as we don’t live like slobs or teenagers, there’s plenty of room.

Akicita

WKR
From my experience I would say the better size between the two is the 14X16. It will heat more even and lend better cot / gear layouts than the 12X18. spacious for 2 or 3, comfortable with 4.

OP
quackaddict
From my experience I would say the better size between the two is the 14X16. It will heat more even and lend better cot / gear layouts than the 12X18. spacious for 2 or 3, comfortable with 4.

That's the two things that I was curious about. Thanks.

sndmn11

WKR
I'm the Sales Manager at Davis Tent. We would typically recommend that when you are on the fence between two sizes, to get the larger. Three cots will fit just fine in a 12x18, but in the event you have a fourth, there really isn't a good layout to fit that fourth cot without intruding on the front half of the tent that in our eyes is earmarked for the stove, gear, table, etc. With a 14x16 you have the ability to turn the cots across the width of the tent and still fit if you have to add one more cot past the typical four in that size. My personal tent is a 14x16, and it is usually used with two or solo. On papaer the two are similar in size, but the 12' width on a 12x18 limits the amount of genuine usable space when talking about cot layout.

OP
quackaddict
I'm the Sales Manager at Davis Tent. We would typically recommend that when you are on the fence between two sizes, to get the larger. Three cots will fit just fine in a 12x18, but in the event you have a fourth, there really isn't a good layout to fit that fourth cot without intruding on the front half of the tent that in our eyes is earmarked for the stove, gear, table, etc. With a 14x16 you have the ability to turn the cots across the width of the tent and still fit if you have to add one more cot past the typical four in that size. My personal tent is a 14x16, and it is usually used with two or solo. On papaer the two are similar in size, but the 12' width on a 12x18 limits the amount of genuine usable space when talking about cot layout.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the input!

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 14 x 16 Davis that I really like. Sometimes it is just two of us and sometimes up to four. There is plenty of room even with our stove, prep/storage table and a roll top table to eat at. We could sleep 5 if we had to, just have to organize more.
c984b4c8ca470a951400512d099ac498.jpg
fa2083c07d5ea4a391f64c8191d2df00.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I took some white spray paint and painted an outline in the backyard which helped me make my decision. Go with the bigger size and Davis tents make the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I've only ever slept 3 guys in a 14x16 Davis with traditional poles, but adding a fourth guy wouldn't be a problem. With good cots that allow room for storage underneath, you'd be surprised how much stuff you can pack in a wall tent. 2 guys, you'll have all sorts of room. I've spent some time camping in 12x14 tents too, and I'd take the 14x16 all day for the extra width. It really opens up the entrance when you get a small table on one side and firewood stacked up around the stove on the opposite side. Davis makes a great tent for sure!

Ntgm37

Lil-Rokslider
Just did a week hunt with a 12x14 cabelas wall tent, center poll, and stove on the right. We fit 5 cots a little snug but made it work. Gear went under the cots.

steve s

Lil-Rokslider

Which stove do you run for a 14x16? Do you lose much with the Ellis folding?

Thanks, ss

dog812

WKR
I started with a 12 x14 with stove Jack in the back wall. It worked....but then more and more People kept joining the hunt. So I added 8 foot porch with a second stove Jack in the front and another door.
So now I can run the small back section when it's just a couple of us....less to heat up.
Or open it up and use the whole 12x 22 feet and put the stove in the front when we have 4 or more. Work great.
Also upgraded my stove this year, for the third time.... get the biggest one you can find.. less waking up putting more wood in the fire at night.
b9e2b3c240e79e5516de7f315cf56ed5.jpg