Western mountain v kuiu bag

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a new sleeping bag (down) in 0 degree rating. Narrowed it down to western mountaineering sequoia and kuiu's bag. Anyone have experience with either one? Thanks in advance from Music City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I am not familiar with KUIU's bags. They are certainly expensive enough which means they are quality bags.

What I do know is that WM bags are the benchmark by which all bags are measured, and have been for a long time.

AXEL

WKR
No, expensive and quality do NOT always mean the same thing in guns, optics, or gear including sleeping bags. I have two WM bags, had another and have owned/used about all of the "best" makes since the mid-60s.

Frankly, after Jason whatshisname's stunts here in Vancouver, BC, where he started having his clothing made, then went to China yet sold Asian stuff as "Made in Canada", which I find simply unacceptable, I would not buy a piece of his gear.

The very idea that his bags are even close to WM in quality is ludicrous.

Right now, as sleeping bags offered on the open market, I consider WM, Valandre and FF, the best based on owning and using all of them. I would love to try one of Peter Hutchison's U/L bags, but, cost and age and having enough bags now precludes that.

Last edited:
Looking at getting a new sleeping bag (down) in 0 degree rating. Narrowed it down to western mountaineering sequoia and kuiu's bag. Anyone have experience with either one? Thanks in advance from Music City.

Can’t go wrong with either. Kuiu is IDFL Certified on the EN lower limit rating. I personally think they are both expensive for what they are. Kuiu although not out of line on pricing, i feel its just doesn’t offer what it should to be at the upper limit price tag.

Last edited:

C Bow

WKR
I had a Kuiu bag and it is a great bag but is cut VERY small if you are big thru the shoulders you will not like it I have a Western Mountaineer badger and it is awesome

Rokwiia

WKR
I have two WM bags myself, A 32F and a -10F, and see no reason to buy elsewhere. Having said that, I also have an EE 10F quilt and like that as well. In certain instances, I will paid it with the WM 32F.

I haven't owned a KUIU bag and they aren't anything I'd consider for myself. I'm not suggesting anyone eliminate them...just not what I want in a sleeping bag. Given their cost (KUIU) it's pretty easy for me to justify the step up to Western Mountaineering bags.

I own a Sequoia GWS and it's my staple bag for cold weather. Cost me a bundle and I've never regretted a penny. The loft is super high and it doesn't give up on cold nights. Slightly over 4 pounds in a long length. Enough room for my wide shoulders and I have never wished for more space anywhere in the bag. If mine were lost, I would immediately replace it with the exact same bag.

I'll stay with KUIU clothing which is their forte for me.

I have the WM Antelope (+5F rated) and wouldn't hesitate to use it at 0F with a warm pad. I get too hot in it with an R-4 pad around 25F without heavy base layers. Haven't had it down colder than that yet, but it's got more loft than the -30 bag I (unpleasantly) used at -40 in Alaska years ago.

Assuming Kuiu's claimed specs are accurate (I know from experience that WM's are), I think their bag is closer to the Antelope based on fill weight.

The fact that Kuiu is using vertical baffles in a sleeping bag tells me that they don't understand what they're doing. 95% of the feathers you're carrying in the bottom baffles are just wasted weight, and might as well be subtracted from the warmth of the bag. With all my down bags (all of mine have horizontal baffles, including my $80 Kelty Cosmic), I shake all the feathers in to the top before I lay it on my pad. I stay a lot warmer at night when I do this (in the summer, I do the opposite to avoid getting too hot at night). Kuiu's bullet points such as "• Maximized warmth to weight ratio" further tell me that they're spewing nonsense marketing jargon. Considering you can buy a standard Antelope for $200 less than that Kuiu bag, or a gore-tex Antelope (that's what I have) for $100 less, I'm led to believe that Kuiu is smoking crack. After watching their video trying to invent a need for hydrophobic down, I'm not surprised. Anyone who has ever tried to hand wash a down sleeping bag will realize that getting feathers wet is not as simple as it sounds...and that's not to mention how practical that would even be when it's 0F and so dry out that your nose bleeds :rolleyes:.

I think Western Mountaineering is top of the line and a purchase you wont regret.My Badger has kept me warm well below its 15 deg. rating.As far as washing goes I send mine to Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle.When you figure what you spend on Quarters ,and tennis balls not to mention wasted time in a laundry mat its a good deal and they come back perfect
Tim

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
KUIU clothing which is their forte

This is how I feel about them. I really like some of their cloths (hip zip pants, zip off base layers) but don't go looking to them for gear. There are others that are better (or more affordable for the exact same thing basically).

I have a WM versalite and its a very nice bag (one nice feature is they have a stiff strip along the zipper so you don't easily snag the material in it, don't know about kuiu by my mid cost marmot before it didn't have that). For the $$$ you pay for a WM bag you are getting a USA made bag by a company that cares about its quality control and reputation, additionally you can send a bag back to them to have more down injected if you've lost some over time. Solid resale value/brand recognition on WM too (esp. outside the hunting community).

For the money I can't believe what kuiu wants to charge for an imported 0deg 850 fill bag, esp. claiming the whole cutting out the middle man thing. Do they seriously think their bags could retail in a store over $1k? Not a chance.

Last edited:
After watching my buddies Kuiu icon Pack fall apart piece by piece each hunt, I would be reluctant to rely on one of their Chinese made down bags. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are truly benchmark bags if not out of your budget.

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like WM is hands down the bag to go with... thanks for all the input. This is why I trust this forum... honest and quality opinions about expensive equipment from people who has been there before .... now time to shell out some dough for WM. Good luck with your hunts.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It looks like WM is hands down the bag to go with... thanks for all the input. This is why I trust this forum... honest and quality opinions about expensive equipment from people who has been there before .... now time to shell out some dough for WM. Good luck with your hunts.

Make sure to shop around too, not sure who's got the best pricing but off hand I know backcountry and moosejaw carry them. They are part of activejunkie so you can pick up some cash back on the purchase unless WM is excluded which helps on a big purchase.

Owenst7

WKR
Make sure to shop around too, not sure who's got the best pricing but off hand I know backcountry and moosejaw carry them. They are part of activejunkie so you can pick up some cash back on the purchase unless WM is excluded which helps on a big purchase.

I buy all my down bags on eBay. Paid about 40% of list for my Antelope in new condition. Got a -5F Marmot bag with a goretex shell for $70, I just had to do some minor stitch repairing.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 15deg Kuiu Bag on a caribou hunt this fall and got cold when the temps got to 32deg. I am looking at getting a WM just not sure which one I want yet.

C Bow

WKR
I will never buy anything other than Western Mountaineering after having the Badger GWS

hodgeman

WKR
I've used a number of sleeping bags over the years. The only two that even came remotely close to their rating are Western Mountaineering and a Wiggy's. They're the only two I use now- I use the WM in the mountains and the Wiggy's on float trips and given a situation where I could use either...I like the WM. I agree with another poster- if it's warm enough for liquid water...it's too warm for a 0F down bag.

If you're buying a premium priced bag...you might as well get a premium bag. While Kuiu is really looking to be the one stop shop for the mountain hunter with a wide array of products... WM pretty much makes premium sleeping bags. If a company does one thing and does it well....they likely know what they're doing.

AXEL

WKR
Valandre, is equal to WM and FF is close, IME. The original ID bags were/are fantastic and can be found "used" but, not often.

For most Americans, WM is the obvious choice, but, if you look, sometimes Valandre bags are on sale at very nice prices and if the bag fits you and is rated to whatever temps you need, do NOT hesitate!

Kotaman

WKR
No comparison here. The WM bag is leaps and bounds better period. Every KUIU bag I've been around sheds feathers so bad , the occupant looks like a goose when he crawls out in the morning. I have a number of bags and the WM Seqoia is one of my favorites.

Beendare

WKR
Top bags IMO; Vallandre, WM and Feathered Friends

Marmot and Montbell are right behind.

It seems I see these bags on sale in that Jan-Feb time frame...

I'll be contrary and defend the quality of the 15*F KUIU bag I got as a retirement gift back in 2014:
- First I've got over 100 nights in it over the past three seasons so it has seen significant use and still performs as new.
- It is tight in the shoulder/chest area but works OK for me...I wear an XL jacket/shirt on top and have a regular length bag.
- It is adequately warm for the conditions I use it in sheep hunting, moose hunting, caribou hunting, etc. I augment the bag with clothes in the bag including long johns and top and possibly down pants / jacket as conditions require, as I have them along anyway. No problem going to 15* with this approach. Doubt I'd want to sleep in the buff in it in 15* weather though!
- Mine doesn't leak feathers.......or at least not enough that I have ever noticed.
- The super-down has never shown a hint of getting wet or damp and clumping up. Some nights in the little 2-person tent in the wind driven rain and snow were very humid.
- No complaints here considering it was a free bag. If I was to buy a new bag I'd look around, but the KUIU bag is far from junk or poor quality in my experience. Good luck with your choice!