Anyone run their pad inside their bag?

jm1607

WKR
Still looking for a good way to keep from sliding around on my pad.. Was reading a couple threads on other forums and apparently this is pretty common.. Anyone do it?

I guess my only concerns would be damaging the bottom of my bag and the "plastic" feel of the pad compared to the more gentle feel of the bag under me.. I do usually wear my base layer to bed nowadays so I don't think the plastic feel would effect me too much..

Poser

WKR
I sleep directly on my pad when running a quilt with no discomforts. In fact, this would be the perfect excuse to switch to a quilt since the insulation under for pad contributes nothing and the ability to run the straps under your pad keeps your pad from getting out from under you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sleep directly on my pad when running a quilt with no discomforts. In fact, this would be the perfect excuse to switch to a quilt since the insulation under for pad contributes nothing and the ability to run the straps under your pad keeps your pad from getting out from under you.

Same here

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
My Big Agnes Loan Ranger has an integrated pad system......the bottom of the bag has a sleeve sown into the bottom that holds the Big Agnes Q-Core pad in place......absolutely no slippage at all. Its awesome.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Quilt user here too that straps to pad. Also, use a bivy when colder or windy to help keep everything in place and cut down on drafts.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
My Big Agnes Loan Ranger has an integrated pad system......the bottom of the bag has a sleeve sown into the bottom that holds the Big Agnes Q-Core pad in place......absolutely no slippage at all. Its awesome.

I feel like this would be ideal for me but I have yet to find a rectangular or semi-rectangular bag with this design. Nemo makes one but it only holds a 20" wide pad (which is kinda ridiculous). My favorite pads currently are Klymits and they don't make one that skinny. That combined with the sewn in foot box (I often like to fully unzip it when warmer) is kind of a no-go for me..

Man, I've tried. I've owned 3 EE quilts. I'm going back to a bag. I just love having a zipper! lol

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I've read somewhere about people putting a few drops of silicone on their bag to help the bag grip. havent tried it myself.

^^^^Yup.

You can put dots of silicone caulking the size of a dime in a pattern on your sleeping pad to keep the sleeping bag from sliding on it.

You could also just hand sew your own pocket onto your sleeping bag. Just a piece of fabric the right shape to slip your pad into. Do it by hand and only go through the outer layer of the bag. You wouldn't even need to do it along the whole length of the rectangle of cloth, just at the corners and few spots along the sides and the bottom.

1signguy

WKR
I just use some things in my pack- boots, jacket, the pack itself along both sides of my pad and it seems to keep me on top... Not perfect but it helped...

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I've tried sealant strips and it helps a little but not a ton. At least for me

Gorp2007

WKR
When I'm hammock camping I've got a cheap Walmart pad that I cut to match my mummy bag and that keeps me nice and toasty down to around 30 degrees F. I use a sleeping bag liner to keep from sticking to the pad and to provide a little extra warmth. For reference, that's a Kelty 20 degree bag in a Hennessy Hammock. If it works in a Hammock, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on the ground, I just never try it because I've got a Nemo pad that is more comfortable and I don't have much of an issue staying in one spot.

JWP58

WKR
I usually sleep with my bag zipped open and use it as a quilt, sleeping directly on my pad. This is during September though.

I keep my feet in the foot box and use the bag like a quilt, pretty comfy