MSR Hubba Hubba??

AZElk

FNG
I have been looking at getting the MSR Hubba Hubba as my next backpacking tent. I like the option of having some extra room in a tent for not much more cost than the regular Hubba. I have not had much experience with this brand so I was hoping to get peoples opinions on the Hubba Hubba and the rest of their gear.

Grumman

WKR
All of my MSR gear has been top notch. I run the Hubba Hubba NX and have been really happy with it. The Gear Shed is a neat option. I bought that as well and makes a good place for the dog to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a Hubba Hubba for for the exact reason you mentioned....a little extra room for the the price. Plus it was discounted because it was a floor model. I really like mine.

OP
AZElk

AZElk

FNG
I am typically a solo hunter and in Arizona I have had two snakes crawl into my pack when using a floorless shelter. Luckily they were just king snakes so I didn't have to put a Hydra Shock 45 into them

Grumman

WKR
Yeah that would be the end of floorless for me if that happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AZElk

AZElk

FNG
How is the Hubba Hubba's breathability? I primarily do my hunting right below and on the flats abow the Mogollon Rim here in Arizona. Steep country that can get to the low 90's and then down to the 20's in the winter. I will also be using the tent when I am guiding in southern Colorado and southern Arizona. So I will be using this tent from 100 degrees to 20 degrees.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say the breathability is about average. I mainly use my tent in the early season here in SW Colorado, so I can't speak for the colder temps. I'd guess in the mid-40s is the coolest I've used my tent. A little condensation on the tent walls (using the fly), but not so bad that it soaks your gear or sleeping bag.

Hubba Hubba NX lover here.
I've run mine through some pretty extreme conditions from Utah summer backpacking where it weathered some INTENSE evening rains with GREAT breathability to high alpine camping.
I can't say enough great things about it. I have used it with 2 people with its me and the lady doing camping, and solo when hunting. It's tight with two people, and great for 1. If you REALLY want to go light you can run it with just the rain fly and a ground tarp for a floorless shelter of sorts.
MSR is a great local company (seattle) who stands by their products. Poles break? They'll replace them
Im surprised it's not a more talked about tent on here.
A few years ago when I was going to buy a new tent, I drug my girlfriend along to set up tents and lay in them at REI...insert her eye rolls here...
Everyone on rokslide, if they arent going floorless, seem to have a hard on for big agnes tents..ugh...the useable space if you spend ANY time in your tent is terrible.
the msr has near vertical walls and makes the inside feel like a palace compared to a fly creek 2 person tent. also it doesnt taper down at the foot end.
I would take the vertical walls and symmetrical floor for the slight extra weight.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
This is the tent my wife and I use for backpacking. Love it. Great design, very breathable/ventable, and can handle decent rain/wind. I have not had it in any severe storms though. MSR also stands by their gear as well and I've been happy with their customer service.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I went with the MSR Elixir model over the Hubba Hubba as I like the much more robust pole configuration for taking on high winds. Have used it on Kodiak and in the Alaska Range mountains while sheep hunting and moose hunting. A bit heavier but the ablility to buck the winds with a bit more confidence with the better pole layout and such steered me away from the Hubba Hubba and towards the elixir.

Couple that with the fact that the Elixir is roughly half price of the Hubba Hubba it makes it even more attractive.

mckayam1

Lil-Rokslider
Hubba Hubba NX lover here.
I've run mine through some pretty extreme conditions from Utah summer backpacking where it weathered some INTENSE evening rains with GREAT breathability to high alpine camping.
I can't say enough great things about it. I have used it with 2 people with its me and the lady doing camping, and solo when hunting. It's tight with two people, and great for 1. If you REALLY want to go light you can run it with just the rain fly and a ground tarp for a floorless shelter of sorts.
MSR is a great local company (seattle) who stands by their products. Poles break? They'll replace them
Im surprised it's not a more talked about tent on here.
A few years ago when I was going to buy a new tent, I drug my girlfriend along to set up tents and lay in them at REI...insert her eye rolls here...
Everyone on rokslide, if they arent going floorless, seem to have a hard on for big agnes tents..ugh...the useable space if you spend ANY time in your tent is terrible.
the msr has near vertical walls and makes the inside feel like a palace compared to a fly creek 2 person tent. also it doesnt taper down at the foot end.
I would take the vertical walls and symmetrical floor for the slight extra weight.
What's the difference between the nx and non nx version?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I have the MSR papa hubba for the family and its a great 4 person tent, MSR makes great stuff. I'm Also in the dilemma of getting a smaller MSR hubba hubba for me and the boy or the Hilleberg Anjan 2. The Hilleberg weights a bit more but i think would be a little more bomb proof then the msr in the wind and rain. Really don't think you could go wrong with either, The Hilleberg is almost double the price, still undecided tho.

I have the MSR papa hubba for the family and its a great 4 person tent, MSR makes great stuff. I'm Also in the dilemma of getting a smaller MSR hubba hubba for me and the boy or the Hilleberg Anjan 2. The Hilleberg weights a bit more but i think would be a little more bomb proof then the msr in the wind and rain. Really don't think you could go wrong with either, The Hilleberg is almost double the price, still undecided tho.
I recently got the anjan 2. I use it by myself and love it. I could only afford it because it was an outlet 2016 model. Sets up super fast and easy, and I like having the fly always on the outside, as opposed to tents that set up inner first. It isn't light, but not too heavy. For what its worth I was quite warm and cozy in 30 * temps with it.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I have one of the originals 2004 I think. Only 1 door and vestibule. Still going strong. A little heavier than my akto but more room and less condensation.