Bag for Alaska Caribou

Nobody plans to get their down bag wet but chit happens you cannot control, usually when you are away from your bag. Synthetic will keep you alive wet, down won't and if you cannot make a fire, your arse is at risk. Take it from someone who learned the hard way, you don't wanna be the guy whose down bag was accidentally soaked. Shivvering all night sucks.

Beendare

WKR
I prefer a synthetic bag in Wet Climes like AK.

I seem to give of a significant amount of moisture at night that will build up in my bag if I haven't been able to air my bag out on a sunny day. The Syn just handles that moisture better than down.

I prefer down on Mtn backpack hunts for the little bit less weight and bulk. Same thing happens to the down bag with built up moisture but I can usually air it out daily or every other day.

I wear both Syn and merino long johns in AK...both are about the same to me. I spent years guiding and hog hunting with the dogs in coastal CA pouring rain wearing only a wool shirt. It gets a little heavy, but wool still keeps you warm even when wet.

I have some very nice down bags that just lay on the floor in my gear room as of late. I love them, but I also love being able to go to bed soaking wet with sweat or from rain and wake up bone dry. I also sweat a fair amount while sleeping. For those reasons, I use a synthetic bag, specifically the Slick bag in 0 degree from Kifaru. I've had down fail on me once, it was miserable and I won't let it happen again.

The folks that I know that use down in AK also take many precautions (bivy, extra clothes to sleep in, etc) to ensure it is not compromised while hunting, that's just one more thing for me to worry about besides hunting. Good on them for finding a way that works for them but it's not something I'd prefer to do.

fwiw...

I think a guy needs to understand as many factors and truths as possible when making a decision on a good sleeping bag. It's certainly not as simple as down versus synthetic. There are certain down bags I would only use in my basement and the same thing with some synthetic ones. A good bag will be right for you and your methods. What I use might be something you'd reject and that's totally fine. Factor in things like hunting location, likely weather, quality of shelter, weight concerns, your attention to details, etc...and then begin narrowing down your bag choices. Often guys get immediately focused on one major factor of a bag(s) and tend to reject anything different. I'm talking about things like which fill, quilt or not, manufacturer, etc. There are a LOT of good bags on the market, and a few truly great ones.

I've got 40 years of hunting and backpacking history using nothing but high quality goose down filled bags, so obviously they've worked very well and I've never wanted anything different. The guy hunting with me next year bought a Kifaru Slick and I am 100% confident he made a great choice for HIS wants. I don't think either of us is wrong and we'll both sleep just fine.

I pulled a solo caribou hunt in 2015 and went through one of the worst mountain storms I hope to ever see. My bag was a WM TerraLite and it did fine despite ongoing days of fog, rain, 100% humidity, extreme winds, snow and just plain miserable conditions. I know 4 experienced guys who have a combined total of nearly 60 years (hunting seasons) spent chasing moose and caribou. Nothing but down bags ever. No failures. Pretty good record I think. I do definitely believe the guys who relate stories of down bag failures. They have to go with their experiences, no question. My experiences have been that down bags caused me no problems and so I go with what has worked 100% for me for decades.

Longbow, wood arrows, 6-shot revolver and a good down bag. I'll be fine!

Kevin certainly knows what he is talking about, down has worked for him and others like Stid. It's not the best option for me and I am more than happy using a synthetic bag due to the qualities I mentioned above.

I'd be interested to know what people do with their damp/wet clothing each night when they are using a down bag? Do you just put them on wet the next morning and tough it out for a few hours until they dry? I can dry mine by wearing them in my bag.

Compound, carbon arrows, sometimes a glock 20 and a good synthetic bag. I'll be fine too! :)

I've got a Mt Hardware Ultra Lamina 15*F synthetic bag (2011) and a KUIU Superdown 15* bag (2014). Neither are rated top of the line by Kevin Dill and others on Rokslide but both have served me equally well in BC and the NWT. I've gone to bed wet wearing my wet pants, shirt and socks many times and wake up dry in either bag. The Superdown stuffs smaller and is lighter so I typically backpack hunt with it. No issue in Mt Hardware or MSR tents during August and September mountain hunts, some with snow, most all with rain and wind at some stage, and typically above tree-line.