Quick advice on a pad

colersu22

WKR
I have use the klymit insulated and non insulated and an older model thermarest that was “self” inflating. I like how wide the exped is so I am not hanging my arms on the ground. I also seem to always sleep on my side or stomach so the 3.5” pad is great since my hip and shoulder isn’t touching the ground like on the klymit. I looked at the xtherm that others have mentioned but even the wide felt narrow for me. To me the exped is worth the weight penalty to have a great nights sleep in the woods.

jmden

WKR
Have 4 different NeoAir pads and Xtherm is what I take this time of year. Are you sure that wasn't a 0 deg Celsius bag Huntingpreacher? I'm guessing not and folks are right about compressing insulating layers, but still seems a bit odd. A good hat is the first thing to go on if I'm getting cold sleeping. Keep one by my head for quick grab. Some bags you have 'continuous baffles' so you can move the down, some don't. The compressed insulation under you does next to nothing in the way of keeping you warm.

May be worth it to some, but still a pound more than I want to carry in a sleeping pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thick pad and a quilt is hard to beat and the weight of the system is reasonable. Never going back to a traditional sleeping bag...nuh uh, no sir.

colonel00

WKR
A thick pad and a quilt is hard to beat and the weight of the system is reasonable. Never going back to a traditional sleeping bag...nuh uh, no sir.

I don't think he's talking about going back to a bag. I run an Xtherm with a quilt and do just fine. Yeah, it's an inch less on thickness but I'm a bigger guy and even with letting a little air out, I don't bottom it out sleeping on my side. R-values are comparable. Basically you are carrying an extra pound for an inch of thickness that you might need but probably don't. if it works for you then that's great but I agree with AK Troutbum that I wouldn't want to carry an extra pound for such minimal gain.

colonel00

WKR
I agree. Quilts may not be for everyone but I strongly believe that everyone should at least give it a try. Pads are obviously a personal choice as well but I think trying the Xtherm is a good choice. The good thing is they hold value pretty well so if it doesn't work for you, I bet you could unload it on the classifieds pretty quickly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey guys, I took my first backcountry trip last month and need to refine my sleep system. I got cold in a supposed 0* synthetic bag in 30* weather while wearing down pants, down jacket, synthetic insulated jacket, as well as thermals. I've accepted my bag is not up to par so I started by replacing it. My second step is to potentially change my sleeping pad. I slept on an ultralight Helinox cot and old school Thermarest Ridgeline foam pad. What changes do I need to make to my pad to be warmer? (Please note I have already upgraded my bag and I've experimented with different clothing systems.) Thanks!

Euro Blackcan Heat Camping Mat Here you go, if you're not packing in. Says it'll heat your pad to 86F from -86 if needed. If you're still cold...well, I tried lol. I think you'll like the quilt btw