WM Kodiak or Sequoia

Skeeter

FNG
Going to add a sleeping bag in the 0 degree range and narrowed it to these two. Getting the MF model in whichever I go with. Looking for likes/dislikes and opinions on choosing one over the other. Thanks

AXEL

WKR
I chose the Sequoia, am built short, big, stocky and bullneck-shoulders. I had slimmer bags, too tight now and I move a lot due to spinal nerve and leg injuries. So, this, the matching Terralite and a custom original Integral Designs, Calgary made, Himalayan OF are it for me, three top down bags to keep my elderly butt comfy!

I bought extenders for both WM bags and like these in summer so I get some air circulating in the bag. Some think WM bags, these are my second and third since 2006, are costly.......I consider them a deal and worth every dime spent on them.

OP
S

Skeeter

FNG
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the only difference between the Kodiak and Sequoia is the foot circumference? Also wondering if either (or both) can fully unzip to a quilt? Never seen either in person.

akrdkill

WKR
love my Kodiak.....look at getting the overfill...think hermits hut sells them that way

OP
S

Skeeter

FNG
love my Kodiak.....look at getting the overfill...think hermits hut sells them that way
What would be the difference in getting the overfill verses just going down to the next level Bristlecone at -10 rating for additional warmth?

AXEL

WKR
I have one OF bag, as above and would not do this again. I have owned/used many of the highend down bags for 50ish years and slept out down to -40*, frankly, a -10*F bag is adequate for 90+% of hunting uses.

The Bristlecone is wonderful, but, cut for BIG shoulders, etc, while the Kodiak, is cut quite snugly as WM bags tend to be, (as contrasted with Marmots, for example), and suit more slender builds and younger folks. I like the Bristlecone, especially for multi-week stints solo in a mountain tent in cold temps. (BTDT often), but, there is a weight issue if backpacking your bag.

As always, JMHO, HTH.

the Sequoia will unzip to lay flat like a quilt.

Yes it will. I've never used mine that way and for my methods it's not a buying point. When it's cold enough for a Sequoia I'm not going to be interested in a quilt.

What would be the difference in getting the overfill verses just going down to the next level Bristlecone at -10 rating for additional warmth?

The difference would come down to bag size and shape comparing the two bags. I bought a Sequoia GWS because I wanted the exact dimensions it offered, plus the temp rating I knew I needed....and I wanted the GWS fabric to offset condensation or other wetting. I DID get my Sequoia with over-fill to add a margin of lower temp safety and after many years I realize I didn't need it. I would have been perfectly happy with the normal fill, and sometimes my bag is simply too warm on milder nights (40F say).

I advise anyone thinking of spending this much money to carefully measure (self) and evaluate specifically what they want for internal size in their bag. Get enough to be comfortable. Buying a cramped bag is a terrible mistake, but so is a too-big bag. Nothing beats trying out bags for size, even if it's a competitor model. Go to REI or someplace and get inside several of them. Me: I like enough shoulder room to avoid any constraint. I don't require a large foot-box or wider leg area as I'm not a spread-out sleeper. The taper of the Sequoia is great for me. It's plenty big enough without being oversized in any area. The Kodiak taper is more severe in the legs and foot area.

Finally, don't buy more temp rating than you'll use 80% of the time. It's better to hit the sweet spot and be comfy the majority of the time. When temps plummet you can sleep in base layers or even light pants and vest. WM is well known for the accuracy of their temp ratings. And incidentally...knowing the inches of loft in any bag will tell you a lot about temp ratings.

I got a really good deal on a sequoia a couple years ago. It was a long model. I am 5'11" and weigh 210. It was way to big for me. I sold it and picked up a kodiak on here in the classifieds. IT is a 6' version and fits me great. I think the kodiak is a warmer bag but this may be because it fits me properly. I did like how the sequoia zipped completely open. I used it as a quilt on some truck camping trips with the wife. AS Kevin stated it is not a primary buying point but was a nice option. Of the 2 I would buy the kodiak and not look back. JMO.

OP
S

Skeeter

FNG
Thanks for all the input. I guess a third option I’m going to consider is an EE Conundrum, which would be about half the price. I’m 6’2 and 235 with broad shoulders, so I guess all three will have the room in the shoulders. Will just have to make a decision.