Small Tipi Warmth

CiK01

WKR
I have a Seek Outside Silvertip and 8-man tipi. I use a Lite Outdoors XL stove in the 8-man with no problem. That stove burns me out of the Silvertip.

What are better options for staying warm in the smaller tipi vs using that stove?

Thanks!

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vent the tent more, or use the baffle set up, if you aren't, which creates a bit of a slower , longer burn, not quite as raging hot and then gone.

I have the SO Redcliffe with the 18" LO stove, It is a great combo with the baffle. But I think all these tipis get really hot, at some point during the burn, just depends on how much wood you use and how the tipi is staked and what time of year, as well as how cold and wet you are at that time.
A couple times I just cracked open the bottom of the front door, and the back door as needed. Using smaller limbs creates less over all heat.

On one trip I took in artificial wood logs, the type you wood use inside a house wood fireplace insert where you didn't want the mess of real wood. They worked great, burnt long (4 hrs) and odor was not bad. Took just a hair longer to get them gong smoke free.

No way I could hike and backpack these in, but when close enough to a road or vehicle they are decent. I would pre saw them in 1/3 sections to use for morning waking up time. You don't need a 4 hr burn in the A.M. They are so dense you can't saw them in the field very easy.

These are just some options to utilize the stove you have.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Vent the tent more, or use the baffle set up, if you aren't, which creates a bit of a slower , longer burn, not quite as raging hot and then gone.

I have the SO Redcliffe with the 18" LO stove, It is a great combo with the baffle.

Is the baffle sold separately? I didn't see it on the website by itself.

What size diameter is your stove? The 8" or 10"? I am wondering if the large size is making it worse.

Yes it is.
The Baffle is in the section where you select what stove size, accessories you want with it, but if you contact Brennen he will get one out to you for sure, he did for me. He is a great guy and works to make sure you are totally happy.

My stove is the 18"x8" which I personally feel they are big enough to use even in a 8 man tipi for early to mid season hunts.

I just looked up that Silver tip- that is a small tent as far as cubic inch space inside. It wont take a lot of heat to be too much in that. The LO 18" in my opinion would be too much after looking at your tents specs.
I would go with the 12" stove. Your advantage in this small tent set up is you would only need 5' of stove pipe. A lot of your heat inside the tent is generated from the area of the stove pipe. In my Redcliffe I have 8 or 9 feet of pipe in an 18" stove body- tons of heat- way too much for this silver tip- IMO
Get the smallest stove you can find, like the 12" long body from LO and a 5' stove pipe.
It will still get as warm as you need, but might be more controllable than the bigger 18".

oldgoat

WKR
Smaller stove? I bought a mini WiFi for my smaller two man Tipi after I froze my butt off the last weekend of elk season this year, haven't used it yet but I'm ready

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
I18" stove body- tons of heat- way too much for this silver tip- IMO

Get the smallest stove you can find, like the 12" long body from LO and a 5' stove pipe.

Do you think the baffle would help any? I️ hate the idea of getting a 2nd stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
You could also get a shorter cylinder wall, there are places you can buy the material and diy as well as make the baffle yourself

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
You could also get a shorter cylinder wall, there are places you can buy the material and diy as well as make the baffle yourself

Yep, I am thinking this would be better than purchasing a whole new 2nd stove that is smaller. I could just buy 12" at 4-5 feet and make a whole new small stove and a baffle for each.

The rods to keep the stove together for the 18" wouldn't work with the 12". I would need to find those replacements too. Can you just use all-thread?

Last edited:
Yes all thread is fine- look for a SS set up.

Like I said, if you are hunting 1st or mid seasons where temps aren't normally that cold- and you are not a cold person- it would be good to downsize the stove for that silvertip.

I was way to hot in my Redcliffe in 20 degree weather with my 18" stove- but each person is different.

It would be way easier to get titanium sheeting and cut your own new , smaller, stove body for sure, utilizing your current end caps.

making a baffle is not that big of a deal, but it requires bending and decent angles to properly fit into the end cap areas.

The baffle would help some, but it also serves another purpose ( forest protection) so it may be a good reason to get it?

But getting some of your own titanium sheet would be simple and work for sure- all that would be needed its to cut the stove pipe hole and notch out for legs on the end caps?

I may look into this for my needs in warmer weather.................

dog812

WKR
Just talk to brennen , he's super helpful.
I have the 18" and the Ibo.
I just vent the tent if it's too warm. Then put in minimal wood to regulate.