Sleeping bag advice after making the switch to heated shelter

Ten Bears

WKR
I am in the process of switching up my sleep system after a couple miserable nights in Colorado this year. Switching from a traditional lightweight backpack tent (Nemo hornet 2p) to a Seek Outside LBO/Vestibule with stove. Just wondering if this changes how you approach temp ratings on bag selection ? Currently, I have a Klymit 20degree Down KSB at 2.10lbs real weight and I want to get into something lighter and smaller when packed to help with the extra weight I am adding with the new shelter. Would a 30degree bag be feasible or do you still plan as if you wont have fire ?

Thanks-
John

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I am in the process of switching up my sleep system after a couple miserable nights in Colorado this year. Switching from a traditional lightweight backpack tent (Nemo hornet 2p) to a Seek Outside LBO/Vestibule with stove. Just wondering if this changes how you approach temp ratings on bag selection ? Currently, I have a Klymit 20degree Down KSB at 2.10lbs real weight and I want to get into something lighter and smaller when packed to help with the extra weight I am adding with the new shelter. Would a 30degree bag be feasible or do you still plan as if you wont have fire ?

Thanks-
John
I never take into account a small stove for my sleeping bag selection. The reason I don't is because when you fall asleep the fire goes out quick and you have no radiant heat. This leaves you with the same temp as without the stove. Last thing you want to do is take a lesser bag because you will be up all night freezing you ass off stoking the stove.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd agree with armyjoe....that fire will go out after 2-4 hours depending on size of stove/type of wood and how well you adjust the damper. Instead of getting up every couple hours to restart one; I would just rather be warm in my bag for the rest of the night.
The stove really comes into play after hunting all day - give you a mental boost; dries out clothing; and then in the morning you can get one going to warm up yourself and your clothes before heading out.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Confirms my thoughts on that. The moral boost is one of the biggest reasons I am making the switch.

Guess I have to spring for a better bag, hello Feathered Friends.

Read1t48

WKR
You definitely don't want to consider the smaller stove as a way to run a lighter bag. You'll be happy with the FF bag.

Agree with most all of the above thoughts. I've never quite figured out how guys get any sleep if they keep their stoves burning all night. I typically only light my stove when 1) stuff needs dried out, 2) I've got the time to mess with a fire. I believe a good warm sleeping bag trumps a woodstove 95% of the time. It takes a lot less effort to sleep in a superior bag versus acquiring enough wood to burn all night and part of the day if needed...not to mention keeping the stove fed properly. On a typical 12-14 day Alaska hunt I will burn my stove something like 6-8 times. I never burn it in the mornings ever. Stoves are a luxury to me...a useful one though.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed on all bag comments with stove; worth mentioning is that not all bag ratings are equal. Western Mountaneering is spot on, but others I've used aren't.