Screen doors, yes/no?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sometime in the next year I plan to pick up a seek 8man tipi. I'm debating on screens or not. CO rifle hunting has never left me wanting for screens but the duality of the 8man in my line up is to take the family out in the summer. Do screens do much on a floorless or are bugs just going to come in ground up still? If so a half nest would likely make more sense for the family to sleep in. Aside from the additional weight do the sewn in screens tuck off to the side well or are they in the way a bit for hunts they aren't needed? Other thoughts/considerations from those with experience?

JPD350

WKR
I don't have a Seek but do run a Sawtooth and I used my screen doors this summer, they kept the majority of mosquitos out and it was nice to keep the doors open and get the ventilation at night, one of these days I will get a 6" skirt of mesh around the bottom as well because I like to set the tipi 2 or 3 inches off of the ground.

Kifaru screens attach with velcro so you don't have to take them.

bbrown

WKR
I like the screen doors on my Kifaru 8 man. I will close the screens and leave the doors open at night when it’s warm which helps a ton with air flow making it more comfortable plus reduces condensation. Plus they really help making those mid day naps more enjoyable. Because they are removable I can leave at home for the colder trips when bugs aren’t an issue which makes them even more versatile.

svivian

WKR
I have the cimmaron with the screen doors and used it on the grand Mesa which is mosquito infested and it kept 90% of them out. I never had an issue or thought I needed a bug bivy.

I have an 8 man SO with the sewn in screens. I'd echo what was said above; that they will keep out most of the mosquitos and it's nice for ventilation to be able to open up the doors; have the screens closed and get a good cross breeze. My guess is the weight is negligible if you were going to buy a nest anyway. So to answer your other question; yes - the screens roll up nicely and are out of the way if you don't need them for those colder hunts. Been very happy with the 8 man.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I believe where folks are saying its nice to leave the doors open the unspoken tidbit is the screens hold the tipi structure in the breeze so its not flapping around, correct (versus just leaving the doors w/o screens open)? Just trying to refine my thoughts here. :)